Best gadget to take along

mamasylvia

I admit it, I'm a gadget freak. My husband just shakes his head whenever I bring home my latest toy.

That said, when travelling, gadgets can make your journey easier and more pleasant when thoughtfully selected and when they do what they claim to. So I would like to know what *one* gadget helped you or that you bought to take to Alaska.

For me, it's the Contigo West Loop mug. I found it on a list of strange products people buy on Amazon, and a travel mug that doesn't spill and really keeps the contents near the original temperature for a long time sounded awfully good. I used it on a trip to Houston last month and it was WONDERFUL. Rode in my bag and really didn't spill no matter what angle the bag was at - in fact it usually slipped down so it was horizontal. I had to empty it to go through airport security, of course, but then I just bought a drink and poured it into the mug and was all set. I am looking forward to keeping a hot drink on hand while in Glacier Bay and either hot or cold drink (depending on weather) while seeing Mendenhall without having to worry about drink spilling all over my belongings.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JE352NO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your favorite gadget?

I'm bringing my swell bottle - same theory keeps cold things cold & hot things hot.

(I can brew tea 4-5 hours after putting the water in the bottle & it is still a bit hot to drink - for me. I've put ice in at lunch time & it was still there the next morning - sitting out on my desk.)

If you think about it, the smartphone is the ultimate travel gadget. Essentially everything that used to be in the Radio Shack catalog is replaced by the smartphone:

Walkie-talkie

Camera

Video recorder

Compass

GPS

Tape recorder

Gameboy

Currency converter

Maps

Calculator

Pocket Bible app (Franklin made these)

Pocket English to XYZ dictionary (Franklin made these too)

Walkman

Portable TV

Sent from my Venue 8 7840 using Forums mobile app

On a more serious note, I travel extensively for work, using just a roll aboard for two week international trips. I never-ever check luggage because it slows you down when traveling to lots of cities on a short trip. I've pared my list of gadgets down to the smartphone previously mentioned and these few others:

7" tablet for reading, web browsing and email. My 54 year old eyes don't like to do that long on phone screen

Portable blue tooth speakers for listening to music in my room/cabin

A good & fast universal USB charger with spare cables

For a cruise I allow myself checked luggage which allows more gadgets, most of which are photography related.

For me...

I too am a gadget freak. My favorite is my Garmin marine GPS. This can track a route from start to finish. Shows how deep the water is. Can save spots where wildlife happened. And since I am sailing next week in Alaska my newest gadget is time lapse video camera. I have a forward mini suite and now I can plot and see my cruise:D. And don't forget your Sirius portable satellite radio. Works even out in open waters. But for all these gadgets to work you must have lots of power supplies and extra batteries. Thus more gadgets:p.

I need to get a new one but I always carry rechargeable battery and the needed cords when we travel. The ones I got for our road trip to Disney were just cheap $5 ones but they weren't great and aren't heavy to carry around all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see I'm not the only gadget lover! ;)

I've never heard of Kinja - have to check them out. My husband may put a contract out on you for telling me, though!

I agree about the smartphone. I am totally dependent on mine. Even got a shopping app that syncs with a website so DH can add what he needs! Oddly, I have found the tablet doesn't really help me. I play games, keep appts, read, even watch Netflix on my phone. The tablet is just too large & bulky for comfortable use (for me, obviously a lot of people like them). I just put Maps.me on it and downloaded maps for Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Idaho, Washington,and Oregon as well as Alaska, B.C., and Yukon. I am hoping it will work on our flight without Internet access, I always want to know where we are and can never tell just by looking down. 10kw battery and Bluetooth ear buds stay in my bag all the time and will certainly go to Alaska with me.

I just picked up a 4-port USB charger, mostly for the cruise but also to be able to watch Netflix on my phone when eating. There will be 4 adults sharing the cabin, all of us with gadgets! lol Each of us will have a port and a slot to leave something charging in.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B018QQCKU2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 2 weeks later...