FISHES Icy strait point

JP-Cruise

I'm shocked they don't have bookings? They usually are tough to get. I'm going out twice with them this and next month, and lucky to get the last 2 seats a month ago for one trip.

Have you posted on your roll call? That's really the best place, since there will only be those people who can go. One ship in port?

I'm shocked they don't have bookings? They usually are tough to get. I'm going out twice with them this and next month, and lucky to get the last 2 seats a month ago for one trip.

Have you posted on your roll call? That's really the best place, since there will only be those people who can go. One ship in port?

Ya I gotta say I'm a little nervous budget queen. I really want this excursion. I emailed Marjorie a month ago, she said there are not bookings yet but she would email me and let me know when others book. I have posted on my roll call but there are still only like 6 people on there. Does this tour usually sell out fast?

Ya I gotta say I'm a little nervous budget queen. I really want this excursion. I emailed Marjorie a month ago, she said there are not bookings yet but she would email me and let me know when others book. I have posted on my roll call but there are still only like 6 people on there. Does this tour usually sell out fast?

I first went with Floyd almost 20 years ago. He is a top choice for whale watching in Hoonah. I late book a lot of my visits and many times he has been full.

There are a lot more whale watching vendors now in Hoonah, to choose from, but Floyd is always my first choice,

Have you contacted them recently? Might be a good idea. I haven't known them to do walk ups, but ask, then promote them like mad on your ship, and get others. :)

I first went with Floyd almost 20 years ago. He is a top choice for whale watching in Hoonah. I late book a lot of my visits and many times he has been full.

There are a lot more whale watching vendors now in Hoonah, to choose from, but Floyd is always my first choice,

Have you contacted them recently? Might be a good idea. I haven't known them to do walk ups, but ask, then promote them like mad on your ship, and get others. :)

What are walk ups? I just checked when I emailed her last. It was at the end of march. She did say she would email me once others book, and I trust that she will. But I do wanna check in and email her now like you suggest, just I don't wanna seem like a pain lol

Hi guys, went with them once in Sept, an the tour stunk!!, the other passengers on board with me thought the same thing, so never again!!:(

I am really surprised to hear about your F.I.S.H.E.S. experience. We have gone with them 6 times and NEVER had a bad experience. If you don't mind me asking, what didn't you like about your excursion?????????????????

If you can't find a seat on F.I.S.H.E.S. try Glacier Wind Charters --- we have also gone with them numerous times and enjoyed our excursions.

Well the thing is I really have my heart set on FISHES because of all the amazing reviews I've read on trip advisor. I first emailed Marjorie back in November lol. Ya that's how eager I am in planning haha. She said she would let me know when other people book, since they can't just book only one person on this boat (I am a solo traveller) she said she has a note to email me when others book. That's comforting don't you think? :)

Well the thing is I really have my heart set on FISHES because of all the amazing reviews I've read on trip advisor. I first emailed Marjorie back in November lol. Ya that's how eager I am in planning haha. She said she would let me know when other people book, since they can't just book only one person on this boat (I am a solo traveller) she said she has a note to email me when others book. That's comforting don't you think? :)

I understand how you feel about F.I.S.H.E.S. We enjoy Floyd and his excursion very much. I just meant that if you couldn't get Floyd, and you were looking for other vendors, Glacier Wind Charters is another very good vendor.

Marjorie is very good about corresponding --- hope you get to go. And, I do understand your eagerness as I always book with F.I.S.H.E.S. and Glacier Wind a year in advance (or at least I get on their list) to ensure we get on their tours.

I understand how you feel about F.I.S.H.E.S. We enjoy Floyd and his excursion very much. I just meant that if you couldn't get Floyd, and you were looking for other vendors, Glacier Wind Charters is another very good vendor.

Marjorie is very good about corresponding --- hope you get to go. And, I do understand your eagerness as I always book with F.I.S.H.E.S. and Glacier Wind a year in advance (or at least I get on their list) to ensure we get on their tours.

Thank you very much for your input and your understanding, you're very kind :). Ya Marjorie had been excellent with responding to my emails and answering my questions. She did say "I have you penciled in" I'm assuming that means I'm on their list? lol :D

We have gone with FISHES once, and are booked again this year. It was a fantastic trip.

I believe they have a reasonable refund policy for a cancellation. I would suggest you book with them and check closer to your date. I bet they will have enough pax and you will be assured a seat. If not, just cancel iaw their terms.

I sincerely doubt you will be disappointed.

I am really surprised to hear about your F.I.S.H.E.S. experience. We have gone with them 6 times and NEVER had a bad experience. If you don't mind me asking, what didn't you like about your excursion?????????????????

Believed what I saw on the internet, alot of whales & etc. Well only saw one whale twice, went over to such & such a cove, but had to turn around cuz of the fog, it just wasn't a good tour!!!:( The other passengers thought so to.

Believed what I saw on the internet, alot of whales & etc. Well only saw one whale twice, went over to such & such a cove, but had to turn around cuz of the fog, it just wasn't a good tour!!!:( The other passengers thought so to.

Sorry, but you are very unrealistic with your expectations. I have been on numerous whale whale watches and this is typical to see a couple whales. humpbacks are solitary animals. Alaska is massive in size with numerous feeding areas. There isn't any guarantee where they are going to be.

I suppose, Floyd caused the fog and the whales to be scarce???????

Sorry, but you are very unrealistic with your expectations. I have been on numerous whale whale watches and this is typical to see a couple whales. humpbacks are solitary animals. Alaska is massive in size with numerous feeding areas. There isn't any guarantee where they are going to be.

I suppose, Floyd caused the fog and the whales to be scarce???????

All excellent points. Ya these boat captains are not Mother Nature, they don't control the forecast nor do they control when and where wildlife will show up lol. Budget queen did you encounter any beard when you cruised passed the island with FISHES? The biggest reason why I would choose FISHES is the small group of people, and I love how you'll feel like you're at eye level with the wildlife because it's a small boat :)

Sorry your excursion didn't meet your expectations. Unfortunately, a lot of people on Cruise Critic rely too much on other posters' pictures and believe that they will have the same experience --- just not going to happen. We have taken many whale watching tours and I can tell you from experience that each trip is different. We go with no expectations other than seeing a whale, tail or blows --- bubble net feeding or breaching is a blessing. Fog certainly is not under any captain's control. If I were on your tour I would have been happy that Floyd turned around because he was concerned for my safety rather than putting us in harm's way. Floyd is a seasoned captain filled with lots of experience and stories and tries very hard to ensure his clients have an enjoyable trip.

All excellent points. Ya these boat captains are not Mother Nature, they don't control the forecast nor do they control when and where wildlife will show up lol. Budget queen did you encounter any beard when you cruised passed the island with FISHES? The biggest reason why I would choose FISHES is the small group of people, and I love how you'll feel like you're at eye level with the wildlife because it's a small boat :)

While I am not Budget Queen (I am sure she will be able to add something once she sees your post), Floyd did take us by the dump near the shore line and we did see a bear or two --- the bears were not there on all of our trips but they were there on some of them.

While I am not Budget Queen (I am sure she will be able to add something once she sees your post), Floyd did take us by the dump near the shore line and we did see a bear or two --- the bears were not there on all of our trips but they were there on some of them.

Oh nice. Good to know, that is always exciting when you see bears and other wildlife on your whale watch excursion :)

You are in a wild environment and not in a zoo. The tour vendor can not always tell where the animals are although they do their best based on their experience. Also, the tour operator can not manufacture good weather - that is controlled by a higher being.

I did a 1 week kayaking trip in the Puget Sound near Seattle once. I was really hoping to see orcas and we all know that there are several pods of them there. Did I blame the tour operator for their failure to produce orcas for me - no. Stuff happens.

I will also add that we did a trip out of Seward once and we saw what seemed like several hundred orcas. Even the captain was amazed. Next year we took out granddaughter on exactly the same trip and saw maybe 5 or 10 of them, Again - stuff happens.

To put it bluntly - you are being totally unrealistic about nature. If you want guaranteed sightings, go to a zoo and sometimes you do not even see the animals in a zoo as they may be in a spot in the enclosure where they can not be seen.

DON

You are in a wild environment and not in a zoo. The tour vendor can not always tell where the animals are although they do their best based on their experience. Also, the tour operator can not manufacture good weather - that is controlled by a higher being.

I did a 1 week kayaking trip in the Puget Sound near Seattle once. I was really hoping to see orcas and we all know that there are several pods of them there. Did I blame the tour operator for their failure to produce orcas for me - no. Stuff happens.

I will also add that we did a trip out of Seward once and we saw what seemed like several hundred orcas. Even the captain was amazed. Next year we took out granddaughter on exactly the same trip and saw maybe 5 or 10 of them, Again - stuff happens.

To put it bluntly - you are being totally unrealistic about nature. If you want guaranteed sightings, go to a zoo and sometimes you do not even see the animals in a zoo as they may be in a spot in the enclosure where they can not be seen.

DON

Couldn't have said it more perfect then that Don! Brilliant

I go out on bear tours, where 100% of my trips have seen bears in Hoonah. Occasionally I do see them on shore lines. If you don't look, you won't see any, only guarantee, there is. :) My binoculars go on my neck sailing out of Vancouver/ landing at Anc and don't come off until packed in my suitcase at the airport. :) Yep, they look "great" in the dining room (rare occasion I'm there) and at cocktail parties. :) :) :)

I go out on bear tours, where 100% of my trips have seen bears in Hoonah. Occasionally I do see them on shore lines. If you don't look, you won't see any, only guarantee, there is. :) My binoculars go on my neck sailing out of Vancouver/ landing at Anc and don't come off until packed in my suitcase at the airport. :) Yep, they look "great" in the dining room (rare occasion I'm there) and at cocktail parties. :) :) :)

Haha, yep definitely won't be forgetting my binoculars, having them on at all times...excellent. I will be doing that also :). Also for the Denali national park tour, in your opinion where is the best place on the bus to sit?

Haha, yep definitely won't be forgetting my binoculars, having them on at all times...excellent. I will be doing that also :). Also for the Denali national park tour, in your opinion where is the best place on the bus to sit?

Never mind budget queen I saw your response to this question the Denali thread.

Yes budgetqueen when I spoke with Teresa from glacier wind, she told me my cruise ship is the only ship in port that day. But I do find it strange that nobody has booked with FISHES for this day, and I just got the last seat with glacier wind

• 2 years later...