The 'extra holiday' bonus of cruising.....

chemmo

This thread seems to be developing a 'sub-topic' - which port hotels really enhance the cruise experience?. For us, that equates to a restful recovery from plane flights, a fantastic sea or harbor view, and easy access to restaurants and shops. When we're spending thousands on a cruise, spending an extra $100 or so per night to start/end the cruise happily is a 'no-brainer' decision.

We'd love to hear about some other special places to start your cruises.

So agree! Wherever we cruise from we usually try to book a hotel with a port view. We set the alarm for 'silly o'clock' (usually between 5/6am) to watch our ship come in, watch the guests start to leave and then hop into a taxi for a very short transfer...

We recently cruised Eclipse from Southampton post TA. She spoilt some of our fun by arriving in port at 2.30am...Too early, even for us!

In Sydney our favourite hotel is Pullman Quay, right on the harbour...we spent hours on the balcony in the evening just watching the life on the Quayside! A couple of evenings we even bought food and drinks from the local supermarket to enjoy there, we didn't want to eat inside a restaurant when we could dine with such a view! Even better being an apartment style hotel with kitchen including washer dryer it made all the practicalities of pre and post cruise holidays so easy!

I do enjoy it when threads evolve and grow...so enjoying reading other's opinions and ideas!

It is great to have a thread that is not about what a miserable cruisline "Celebrity" is.

Life is what you make it, nothing is perfect, but the Celebrity cuises I have been on have been pretty dammed close. Enjoy each day, pre cruise, on the cruise and post cruise.

Just off Eclipse, found only things that made me smile...

Happy next pre cruise, cruise and post cruise!

For our upcoming September Mediterranean cruise we're flying into Paris for a few days. We've been there a couple of times before so don't have to go crazy sightseeing, we can just relax and recover from the jetlag. Then we're taking the TGV to Barcelona where we'll have a couple of days before and after our cruise.

Herbanrenewal, I second 59Impala's recommendation of Waiheke Island when in Auckland. It's a gorgeous place. I'd also suggest going to Tiritiri Matangi Island, which is a bird sanctuary, and also very beautiful.

Being only a short flight to Paris we have visited many times at at different times of the year. Our happiest memories are from when we have just sat in street cafes 'watching the world go by'. I think one mistake we can make with pre post breaks is to try to squash too much into too few days....there does need to be a balance of 'must see/do things', rest and relaxation and sitting back and soaking in the atmosphere....

Have noted your recommendation for Auckland....

Yes, our holiday should be fabulous. We love the myths and legends of Greece / Crete and are lookinf forward to our time there.

We have only been to the UK very briefly in 2010 when one of our sons was working near Cardiff for a year. We went to London and Cardiff as part of a trip to Europe and this year we are finally returning to see some more.

We are flying to London and are meeting up and staying for two days, in North London, with some lovely people we met on our last cruise. It will be wonderful to catch up with them again and explore their hometown. From there, we are travelling up to join some friends in Macclesfield and we are travelling north England / Scotland- Whitby, Edinburgh, Loch Lomond, the Lake District. We are really excited about this part of the trip also....well, the whole trip should be awesome, especially with a lovely cruise in the middle.

Wow! You really have an amazing visit planned.

Little places like Macclesfield are rarely on the tourist trail but are so interesting in their own right. Macclesfield is surrounded by some great places to visit. If you get the chance try to visit Style Mill and Lyme Hall (Pemberley from Pride and Prejudice) from there if you can. Two very different aspects of the North of England.

Whitby is a great favourite of ours, fish and chips must be bought, wrapped in paper to eat outside!

Have a fabulous holiday!

Being only a short flight to Paris we have visited many times at at different times of the year. Our happiest memories are from when we have just sat in street cafes 'watching the world go by'. I think one mistake we can make with pre post breaks is to try to squash too much into too few days....there does need to be a balance of 'must see/do things', rest and relaxation and sitting back and soaking in the atmosphere....

Have noted your recommendation for Auckland....

Wow! This could have been us taliking. When we first visited Paris, we rented an apartment from a delightful young guy. When I asked him, what we should see in Paris, he replied" do you want to see Pareee, or do you want to live Pareeee" we naturaally said we would like to live Paree. He sent us off to St Germain to have lunch and drink wine for the afternoon. This is probably the best advice we have ever received while travelling. We had a lovely afternnon watching the world go by.

We have just spent two days on line researching places to stay and things to do in the New Forest area prior to our next Southampton cruise....It really made us reflect on those wonderful 'extra holidays' we add on to our cruises....Those couple of days in Barcelona, revisiting Venice, city breaks in Hong Kong and Singapore....

We have just booked a 15th Century Inn in the New Forest with great food reviews! Looking forward to it almost as much as the cruise!

So what have been your best pre/post cruise stays?

I have not been paying much attention to Cruise Critic lately and only just noticed this thread. But we have had some memorable pre- and post-cruise mini holidays - and these seem to revolve round views.

Fantastic suite in the best hotel in the Plaka, Athens with the picture postcard view of the Acropolis - literally, most of the postcard photographs must have been taken from the the terrace immediately above our suite.

Upgrading to a beautiful suite at the Hyatt on the Bund with the perfect view from the window - the one that says 'Shanghai' - and incredible service.

The totally unexpected gem of the Conrad in Singapore. No view or suite this time but an incredible hotel unfortunately only a overnight stay.

Singapore again staying a Raffles - not so great but one off the bucket list.

Another fantastic view - the Pen in Hong Kong complete with Green Rolls transfers (with luggage van in convoy) and complimentary use of Mini Cooper with chauffeur - another one off the bucket list.

Rediscovering Vancouver after many years and finding that it has grown into one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Getting the take a trip up into the Andes from Santiago and the having the perfect view of them as we flew over them on our return flight.

Plus, of course, our great stays in Fort Lauderdale. No great view, no iconic hotel but our versions of 'the little old couple returning to the same seaside guest house each year' (fellow Brits of a certain age will know exactly what we mean).

Our pre- and post-cruise stays have been as important part of our 'round the world cruise' as the cruises themselves.

I have not been paying much attention to Cruise Critic lately and only just noticed this thread. But we have had some memorable pre- and post-cruise mini holidays - and these seem to revolve round views.

Fantastic suite in the best hotel in the Plaka, Athens with the picture postcard view of the Acropolis - literally, most of the postcard photographs must have been taken from the the terrace immediately above our suite.

Upgrading to a beautiful suite at the Hyatt on the Bund with the perfect view from the window - the one that says 'Shanghai' - and incredible service.

The totally unexpected gem of the Conrad in Singapore. No view or suite this time but an incredible hotel unfortunately only a overnight stay.

Singapore again staying a Raffles - not so great but one off the bucket list.

Another fantastic view - the Pen in Hong Kong complete with Green Rolls transfers (with luggage van in convoy) and complimentary use of Mini Cooper with chauffeur - another one off the bucket list.

Rediscovering Vancouver after many years and finding that it has grown into one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Getting the take a trip up into the Andes from Santiago and the having the perfect view of them as we flew over them on our return flight.

Plus, of course, our great stays in Fort Lauderdale. No great view, no iconic hotel but our versions of 'the little old couple returning to the same seaside guest house each year' (fellow Brits of a certain age will know exactly what we mean).

Our pre- and post-cruise stays have been as important part of our 'round the world cruise' as the cruises themselves.

We are view people too! You have certainly enjoyed some amazing stays...would love to do the Green Rolls transfer!

We totally understand your comments re the seaside guest house Fort Lauderdale too.....I would add we invariably visit Orlando when cruising the Caribbean....In January I was clearly the oldest guest queuing to hug Tigger in Disney and the oldest person queuing for the 'Men in Black' ride in Universal ...My brain is still so young, it just needs my body to listen to it!

Hi, we are from Hamilton, which is about an hour and a half south of Auckland. We have done a few trips on the harbour over the years, and Auckland is a lovely city viewed from the water. It is called the City of Sails, as I understand NZ has the highest rate of boat ownership per head of population of anywhere in the world. Understandable as anywhere in NZ is within an hour and a half from a coastline. You must go to Waiheke Island. It has lovely beaches, restaurants and wineries. Enjoy your stay,

Thanks!

We are planning a day on Waiheke Island with a wine tour, Tiritiri Matangi Nature reserve, and Rangitoto Volcano tour.

I know I'm slightly off topic here, but anticipation of pre and post holiday cruise can be as exciting as the wonderful memories of other extensions to our cruises!

As to accommodations for cruise extensions, we are low budget usually 2 or 3 star places. We will stay in hostels if private room is available. For us clean, safe area, comfortable beds are what we look for since we will be out and about seeing the local scene during daylight hours. I can rest up when i get home.

I know I'm slightly off topic here, but anticipation of pre and post holiday cruise can be as exciting as the wonderful memories of other extensions to our cruises!

As to accommodations for cruise extensions, we are low budget usually 2 or 3 star places. We will stay in hostels if private room is available. For us clean, safe area, comfortable beds are what we look for since we will be out and about seeing the local scene during daylight hours. I can rest up when i get home.

Much as we enjoy a 'taste of the good life' we also often enjoy something cheaper, less fancy but meets our needs. We don't always go for a high star rating stop.

For example, when we were looking for an hotel for our Waikiki pre cruise break a priority was a sea view...We ended up in a little hotel called 'Park Shore' near the zoo. It didn't even have its own restaurant, the rooms were not 'high class' but they were clean, I had my sea view, balcony and even a small kitchenette. It just suited us perfectly. I think the art to booking the right hotel is just knowing exactly on that trip what you want to get out of your accommodation....Why pay for things you don't want and do without things you do want? A bonus to this little hotel was hearing the monkeys chatter and the elephants toot in the morning!

Much as we enjoy a 'taste of the good life' we also often enjoy something cheaper, less fancy but meets our needs. We don't always go for a high star rating stop.

For example, when we were looking for an hotel for our Waikiki pre cruise break a priority was a sea view...We ended up in a little hotel called 'Park Shore' near the zoo. It didn't even have its own restaurant, the rooms were not 'high class' but they were clean, I had my sea view, balcony and even a small kitchenette. It just suited us perfectly. I think the art to booking the right hotel is just knowing exactly on that trip what you want to get out of your accommodation....Why pay for things you don't want and do without things you do want? A bonus to this little hotel was hearing the monkeys chatter and the elephants toot in the morning!

To each his own I guess. ;p

333237663538653033323165656266393336363231623333623162393435313130666631353533336130326337326535376362313263643633363265373231317c32636334663431663734353532383631326533326362303233313364633538357c327c7265736f75726365732f696d6167652f32?version=0

I think the art to booking the right hotel is just knowing exactly on that trip what you want to get out of your accommodation

That is it precisely. What we want in difference locations/times varies considerably and it is not always the most expensive option. Usually, we can say it is unlikely to be the vanilla up-market chain - it may be a mid-market chain with the space we want (e.g. Embassy Suites), character hotel or cheap place in the perfect locations. That is why the Conrad in Singapore and Four Seasons in Vancouver were such unexpected gems - chain hotels with that something special that is so hard to define.