Need help w/ post-cruise transportation - Manhattan to Newark airport

LrgPizza

Can someone please let me know if I am figuring this out correctly?

We will be spending most of the day in Manhattan after disembarking our ship. That night, we fly home out of Newark. It looks like we can take the (or a) NJTransit train from NYC Penn Station to the Newark Airport Railroad Station, and from there take the Airtrain to our terminal. Is this correct? Am I missing any steps? Is there a better way to get there?

Thanks for any help.

Can someone please let me know if I am figuring this out correctly?

We will be spending most of the day in Manhattan after disembarking our ship. That night, we fly home out of Newark. It looks like we can take the (or a) NJTransit train from NYC Penn Station to the Newark Airport Railroad Station, and from there take the Airtrain to our terminal. Is this correct? Am I missing any steps? Is there a better way to get there?

Thanks for any help.

What time is your flight? What day of the week? Are you storing your luggage?

Flight is at 9PM on a Sunday. We will store our luggage at the Schwartz place, although I don't have the address handy right now, and I'm too lazy to look it up. It's near Penn Station.

Flight is at 9PM on a Sunday. We will store our luggage at the Schwartz place, although I don't have the address handy right now, and I'm too lazy to look it up. It's near Penn Station.

Your plan is fine, but you have to give yourself some extra time in case there are delays due to track work at New York Penn Station. There are 4 NJ Transit trains between 5:52 and 6:14 and then a large gap until 6;52. I would aim for the 5:52.

Your plan is fine, but you have to give yourself some extra time in case there are delays due to track work at New York Penn Station. There are 4 NJ Transit trains between 5:52 and 6:14 and then a large gap until 6;52. I would aim for the 5:52.

Sounds good. Thanks for the assist.

We are flying into La Guardia, which we have done many times, but this is our first time leaving from Newark. I just wanted to be sure I was clear.

Please be aware of the travel advisory currently in effect for NJ Transit trains running to and from NY Penn Station. This advisory is probably an understatement of the possible travel delays, and I expect that the situation is going to get worse as Amtrak ramps up the repair work this summer.

You need to keep track of the latest status of this situation, and be very conservative when making your travel plans...in other words give your self lots of extra time and err on the side of taking an earlier train rather than relying on the published NJT schedule:

"Due to ongoing Amtrak track maintenance work and track inspections leading to speed restrictions, effective immediately and continuing until further notice, NJT customers traveling to and from NYPS will experience estimated delays of 15 minutes on weekdays and 30 minutes on weekends."

Please be aware of the travel advisory currently in effect for NJ Transit trains running to and from NY Penn Station. This advisory is probably an understatement of the possible travel delays, and I expect that the situation is going to get worse as Amtrak ramps up the repair work this summer.

You need to keep track of the latest status of this situation, and be very conservative when making your travel plans...in other words give your self lots of extra time and err on the side of taking an earlier train rather than relying on the published NJT schedule:

"Due to ongoing Amtrak track maintenance work and track inspections leading to speed restrictions, effective immediately and continuing until further notice, NJT customers traveling to and from NYPS will experience estimated delays of 15 minutes on weekdays and 30 minutes on weekends."

Thanks for emphasizing this issue. The track work just started and we don't have a lot of feedback yet about how long the delays are actually running.

OP - Since you're storing your luggage at Schwartz Travel, the Newark Airport bus leaving from 41st St between 8th & 9th is another option. http://web.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAssets/files/94/NAERACKCARD.pdf

This bus drops off directly at each Newark terminal.

Thank you guys SO MUCH for the info! I think we will just do that bus instead of messing with the train. I like the least steps possible when hauling luggage, which the bus appears to be. (Well, other than taxi, which I refuse to pay for. LOL!)

NJTransit is experiencing 10-15 minutes for this morning (Friday)'s AM rush, affecting commuters. Delays earlier this week hit on 3 different days, resulting in massive delays & cancellations of trains - affecting, indirectly, LIRR (thus, those to/from JFK connecting for the AirTrain ... thus, making the crowded rush-hour E subway line possibly an alternative (not good if not traveling light & with luggage.) Services were out for 2 to 3+ hours into the mid evening ... those disembarking their ships would likely not affected, but arriving a day or two earlier pre-cruise & staying in NYC - the disruptions are not appreciated.

Amtrak officials stated that as maintenance & repair work continued over the coming days, weeks and especially over this summer - up to 25% of the trains scheduled might be delayed & cancelled in/out of N.Y. Penn Station ... it will and has had rippled effects throughout the mass transit systems as commuters (along with the infrequent travelers & visitors) scrambled for alternatives. Track works, signal issues and planned maintenance are not a matter of choice on the aging infrastructure.

It would be wise for any seasoned travelers, including that plan to cruise from/to one of the metro NY area cruise ports to use real-time traffic apps, i.e. Waze or Google Maps to check & plan their primary and alternate travel routes, contingencies. Will get a taste of commuting & traveling today, heading into Manhattan later via bus & subway ... mostly on the LGA airport route, to see how the connections are doing.

NJTransit is experiencing 10-15 minutes for this morning (Friday)'s AM rush, affecting commuters. Delays earlier this week hit on 3 different days, resulting in massive delays & cancellations of trains - affecting, indirectly, LIRR (thus, those to/from JFK connecting for the AirTrain ... thus, making the crowded rush-hour E subway line possibly an alternative (not good if not traveling light & with luggage.) Services were out for 2 to 3+ hours into the mid evening ... those disembarking their ships would likely not affected, but arriving a day or two earlier pre-cruise & staying in NYC - the disruptions are not appreciated.

Amtrak officials stated that as maintenance & repair work continued over the coming days, weeks and especially over this summer - up to 25% of the trains scheduled might be delayed & cancelled in/out of N.Y. Penn Station ... it will and has had rippled effects throughout the mass transit systems as commuters (along with the infrequent travelers & visitors) scrambled for alternatives. Track works, signal issues and planned maintenance are not a matter of choice on the aging infrastructure.

It would be wise for any seasoned travelers, including that plan to cruise from/to one of the metro NY area cruise ports to use real-time traffic apps, i.e. Waze or Google Maps to check & plan their primary and alternate travel routes, contingencies. Will get a taste of commuting & traveling today, heading into Manhattan later via bus & subway ... mostly on the LGA airport route, to see how the connections are doing.

I just started a new thread with a link to the information published in today's NY Times. I'll repost the link here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/11/nyregion/amtrak-pennstation-njtransit-lirr.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=nygeo-promo-region&region=nygeo-promo-region&WT.nav=nygeo-promo-region&_r=0

I just started a new thread with a link to the information published in today's NY Times.
Excel - bravo !!

I just read that - was all over the news this morning. On the Gem last week, and those transit alert was hitting my smartphone (airplane mode, even when only on ship's WiFi inTRAnet - via SMS, again & again) ... and earlier this week.

Maybe - edit the Title as # 411 - on Amtrak/NJT/LIRR 2017 Update .... something like that, make it easier "if" folks search & us to post to it, otherwise ... info/updates & alerts would be all over the subforum.

Edited by mking8288

The 3 railroads that use Penn Station NYC will release their summer timetables soon that will reflect the changes Amtrak's maintenance will cause. On top of that with trains being dropped from the scheduled or terminating other then at Penn you will have delays that the maintenance may cause on the scheduled trains as well.

I'd at least wait until the summer schedules are released, you always have the Newark Airport Express for $16 but budget TIME for traffic and not just traffic on your trip. During the day the bus may fall behind schedule even though there is no major traffic delay at your departure time.

https://www.newarkairportexpress.com/

The 3 railroads that use Penn Station NYC will release their summer timetables soon that will reflect the changes Amtrak's maintenance will cause. On top of that with trains being dropped from the scheduled or terminating other then at Penn you will have delays that the maintenance may cause on the scheduled trains as well.

I'd at least wait until the summer schedules are released, you always have the Newark Airport Express for $16 but budget TIME for traffic and not just traffic on your trip. During the day the bus may fall behind schedule even though there is no major traffic delay at your departure time.

https://www.newarkairportexpress.com/

Thank you for the help. We leave for our trip in 3 weeks. We will certainly watch the schedules and such, and certainly allow plenty of time. If my husband doesn't arrive at an airport 90 to 120 minutes before a flight, he panics. LOL!

Also wanted to chime in for CityMapper app for public transit.