Gdansk included tour

planterx2

I just noticed that the included tour in Gdansk has been changed from Panoramic Gdansk to City of Gdansk on Foot. Does anyone know if we are allowed any free time during this excursion? Do we have to take our excursion bus back to the Viking Sea or will we be allowed to stay in Gdansk and explore for a very short while? We are only in port from 6:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. so we are trying to determine if this is basically do the excursion and back to the ship or if there is any option to stay in town.

Thank you for any information.

I just noticed that the included tour in Gdansk has been changed from Panoramic Gdansk to City of Gdansk on Foot. Does anyone know if we are allowed any free time during this excursion? Do we have to take our excursion bus back to the Viking Sea or will we be allowed to stay in Gdansk and explore for a very short while? We are only in port from 6:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. so we are trying to determine if this is basically do the excursion and back to the ship or if there is any option to stay in town.

Thank you for any information.

The port is new for Viking this year. Last year they docked outside of town so there was a shuttle. You're doing Stockholm to Bergen from your time in port, not only is it early but it is Sunday morning.

I guess I totally missed this one. I thought we were still docking in Gdynia which would involve a 30-45 minute bus ride into Gdansk. Thank you Dauntless for pointing out that we are indeed docking in Gdansk. It will make the short time there easier to plan, even though it will be early on a Sunday. I learn something new from the posts on Cruise Critic almost every day. Thanks to all who share their knowledge.

I guess I totally missed this one. I thought we were still docking in Gdynia which would involve a 30-45 minute bus ride into Gdansk. Thank you Dauntless for pointing out that we are indeed docking in Gdansk. It will make the short time there easier to plan, even though it will be early on a Sunday. I learn something new from the posts on Cruise Critic almost every day. Thanks to all who share their knowledge.

I had checked with my contact at Tell Us and that is the information that I was given. She did say "in most cases" they dock in Gdansk so there is 'wiggle room' in their response, just keep that in mind. We were told we would be tendering in Flam but on the day of arrival, we were the only ship there so I don't know what happened and it was never brought to our attention, one way or the other.

I had checked with my contact at Tell Us and that is the information that I was given. She did say "in most cases" they dock in Gdansk so there is 'wiggle room' in their response, just keep that in mind. We were told we would be tendering in Flam but on the day of arrival, we were the only ship there so I don't know what happened and it was never brought to our attention, one way or the other.

You may already know this, but docking/tendering locations and assignments are pretty much up to the port. Also, port schedules can change. I always look at the schedules to see who else will be with us on the day we're in port. There have been quite a few surprises.

Sounds nice to dock in Gdansk. I didn't know that was possible. When we were there on another line, we docked in Gdynia, which meant a shuttle to center of Gdynia, and then a commuter train (for us, anyway - a very funky train!) to Gdansk and then a local tram or long walk to historic Gdansk. Luckily we had a full day there....

I don't know what Viking's official policy is on staying in town after any excursion, or if there even is one. However, last year I DID do just that in Dubrovnik - not a big deal. I did tell the guide I was doing it, just in case he had to count heads for the bus ride back to port.

I think Poland is still using Polish zloty for currency. I'm not sure if you'll need a cab or not, and whether cab drivers will take credit cards or euros, but just thought I'd mention the money situation. We just stopped in at an exchange place in Gdynia and got a small supply of zloty. Took all of 10 minutes and just our passport; very quick and easy. I don't think credit cards could be used on the train, so that's why I bothered getting some money. You may not need any, however.

Edited by roothy123

https://www.portgdansk.pl/shipping/list-of-cruise-ships-notified-for-2017

You might want to take a look at the website above (port of Gdansk). Hopefully it will tell you where the port has assigned your ship, and maybe show a map of the port. Occasionally there are last minute changes, but more often than not, there aren't changes - or at least that has been my experience.

We just left Gdansk an hour or so ago. The included tour was by foot for 3 1/2 hours. We visited Marlbork Castle and even that included souvenir shopping at the castle. I would assume they would allow some shopping as it seems pretty much the norm on included tours.

We just left Gdansk an hour or so ago. The included tour was by foot for 3 1/2 hours. We visited Marlbork Castle and even that included souvenir shopping at the castle. I would assume they would allow some shopping as it seems pretty much the norm on included tours.

Glad that you're having a great time

Did you get to visit St. Mary's Basilica, JiminyC_fan? That sounds like a great tour!

We did not because we had a paid excursion to Malborg Castle. I am not sure if it is a part of the included tour.

Thanks fpacifico. It's coming to an end and the sadness of leaving has hit.