Southampton hotel suggestions

Guest Nellsmom58

We stayed at the Hilton last summer, and now it is Doubletree Inn. Very quiet, seemed safe, and has transportation to the pier (book ahead). They also have breakfast, or did. Also check TripAdvisor.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Premier Inn West Quay is modern and very secure e.g. Must swipe room card to access stairs and lifts I'd be happy staying there on my own.. Has restaurant and bar which are popular as well as the main shopping mall with restaurants etc right opposite.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

All the hotels on this link are safe and clean. And all are either walkable or a short taxi hop to any cruise terminal.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

Cheapest is usually Ibis Budget - basic but perfectly acceptable for an overnite, On the same site are a regular Ibis and - better but more expensive - a Novotel. Novotel hosts a lot of functions, weddings & such.

Premier Inn (West Quay is easily the most convenient) is highly regarded for quality & value and currently has a promo on some dates. No function room, therefore no functions.

All the above are convenient for the rail & coach stations.

Holiday Inn (Herbert Walker Ave) is right by City cruise terminal. The city's two Holiday Inn Express's are on the city boundary & not convenient.

Premier Inn West Quay and Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Ave are by far the most popular with cruisers.

Nellsmom mentioned the Hilton. There are two - one on the city's northern boundary (very quiet) and a new one at the county cricket ground, on the NE boundary - that one is very good but way too "corporate" for me. Neither is convenient, but if a transfer is included that won't matter.

Most city centre hotels are modern and, with the exception of Grand Harbour, they're quite bland.

JMorris mentioned the Mercure Dolphin. Like Ennio's & Pig -in-the-Wall it's quite attractive and historic. Historic comes with disadvantages such as variable room sizes, sloping floors etc. For the Dolphin, ask for a room at the back - the hotel fronts High Street, which can be noisy with late-night revellers.

JB :)

We are staying at The Mercer Dolphin Hotel on High St. the night before the cruise Reasonable rate, near the dock, 4 stars. Nice enough to meet our needs

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

I hope they have done something to the Mercure Dolphin since we were there in late 2015. There is historic and charming, and then there is obsolete and neglected. Our room was totally the latter. Stained and worn carpet, almost no lighting in the bathroom, an unmarked step in the entrance way to our room that nearly caused a very bad fall, etc. No excuse for letting stuff get so rundown. The more public areas, like the dining room, were nicer. And the staff were great. But overall, what a disappointment.

Good luck!

Add my "thumbs up" for Premier Inn West Quay in Southampton. Clean and basic. A huge shopping center is just across the street. We've stayed there twice.

Another vote for Premier Inn West Quay.. we loved our one night stay here. Very convenient for shopping and restaurants. :)