Civitavecchia - place to buy wine pre-cruise?

Lucky Dreamers

The morning of the cruise we are taking the train from Rome to the port. Would like to buy the allotted bottles of wine once in Civitavecchia before getting on the ship without worrying about the bottles on the train. Can we do this easily?

Thanks for the links, I confess I did not successfully search out the prior posts before asking my question. Still, it seems the info was not precisely what I was looking for given the idea is that we will be on foot with all our luggage after getting off the train. So walking 8 blocks (as one option offered up) is not an option. i was hoping someone could opine if there was a place right near the terminal that I could go to easily. Sorry about not being more specific.

There is not a place immediately near the entrance to the port ( nevermind near the terminals, as the port is a medium sized industrial port, with cruise ships parked in a number of places).

Perhaps you could drop your bags onboard and go back out again. We like the Carrefour (as mentioned in several of the threads), about 5 blocks from the "fort" entrance. Good selection and prices.

There is not a place immediately near the entrance to the port ( nevermind near the terminals, as the port is a medium sized industrial port, with cruise ships parked in a number of places).

Perhaps you could drop your bags onboard and go back out again. We like the Carrefour (as mentioned in several of the threads), about 5 blocks from the "fort" entrance. Good selection and prices.

Thanks, that sounds like something we may need to consider. Jayme

If you are arriving during the daytime and getting on the ship the same day your best option will be to catch the shuttle bus which stops outside the train station and transfers you to the port bus stop. If someone can wait with your bags at the port bus stop there is a supermarket (Todis) about 200 metres away on Via Isonzo. As you stand with your back to the bus station it's straight over the roundabout on the road between the one where Hotel Traghetto is situated and the main one which leads from the train station.. It's quite basic but has a selection of wines at very reasonable. prices. If you are a wine connoisseur you may struggle to find a fine wine but the ones we've always bought from there have been perfectly palatable.

There are others but this is probably the easiest to find.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/supermarket/@42.0966936,11.7891065,18.25z/data=!4m8!2m7!3m6!1ssupermarket!2s00053+Civitavecchia,+Metropolitan+City+of+Rome,+Italy!3s0x1328a4ae5fe4b6e5:0x51b2aa701dd27fb2!4m2!1d11.7954132!2d42.0924239?hl=en

If you are arriving during the daytime and getting on the ship the same day your best option will be to catch the shuttle bus which stops outside the train station and transfers you to the port bus stop. If someone can wait with your bags at the port bus stop there is a supermarket (Todis) about 200 metres away on Via Isonzo. As you stand with your back to the bus station it's straight over the roundabout on the road between the one where Hotel Traghetto is situated and the main one which leads from the train station.. It's quite basic but has a selection of wines at very reasonable. prices. If you are a wine connoisseur you may struggle to find a fine wine but the ones we've always bought from there have been perfectly palatable.

There are others but this is probably the easiest to find.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/supermarket/@42.0966936,11.7891065,18.25z/data=!4m8!2m7!3m6!1ssupermarket!2s00053+Civitavecchia,+Metropolitan+City+of+Rome,+Italy!3s0x1328a4ae5fe4b6e5:0x51b2aa701dd27fb2!4m2!1d11.7954132!2d42.0924239?hl=en

Wow!! That sounds like an excellent plan and the details are very much appreciated. Plus, thank you for the link. Just perfect. 😊

Wow!! That sounds like an excellent plan and the details are very much appreciated. Plus, thank you for the link. Just perfect. 😊

Yes - this is the store we go to as well. It's small but actually a pretty neat grocery store. Easy to find. The price of the wines is amazing - 2 euros will get you a bottle.

When staying overnight in Civi, we head to this store for fresh fruit, deli, etc. There's also a restaurant on the corner (just before Traghetto) for fresh, yummy pizza.

NJ

Yes - this is the store we go to as well. It's small but actually a pretty neat grocery store. Easy to find. The price of the wines is amazing - 2 euros will get you a bottle.

When staying overnight in Civi, we head to this store for fresh fruit, deli, etc. There's also a restaurant on the corner (just before Traghetto) for fresh, yummy pizza.

NJ

More good information to know. Thanks so much! Jayme

NJ

We live half of the year in Italy, in a non-touristy area, and I'm pretty frugal, but even I would balk at €2/bottle, unless it was vino sfuso, (from the tap) and I could taste it first. There are undoubtedly pretty drinkable wines out there for €2, but for €5 and up, you greatly increase your chances of getting something really enjoyable.

We live half of the year in Italy, in a non-touristy area, and I'm pretty frugal, but even I would balk at €2/bottle, unless it was vino sfuso, (from the tap) and I could taste it first. There are undoubtedly pretty drinkable wines out there for €2, but for €5 and up, you greatly increase your chances of getting something really enjoyable.

Ha ha, I'm pretty frugal too, but did think I'd probably spring at least for 5E!!! Maybe go all out for 6E. Great point. :)

You can get fantastic Italian wines for 5-7€ per bottle, very drinkable ones for even less. You may pay a little more in the little convenience stores but the COOPs and Carrefours have the cheapest prices. Gotta love that Italian wine!

There are also several good enoteche in Civitavecchia if you want a slightly better bottle or two. The benefit of purchasing there is you can have a glass first before deciding if you want to shell out for the bottle.

I probably will have to forego that given I will be leaving my husband standing someplace with all the suitcases while I head for the nearby store as described above. I don't want to push his patience. Ha.

We have bought wine at various times from three stores in Civ. The first was at, I think, Carafour. It is in the main area, three blocks up from the water, near a Subway and a laudromat (which is how we found the store).

There are also a few stands in the market (two blocks further up) where they sell wine.

We bought wine a a grocery store one block up from the water on towards the north end of town. Reasonable selection, good prices.

The very best place was a hyper marche north of the port in a shopping centre to the west of hte main road. Our host was kind enough to take us there on the way from the B&B to the ship. Excellent selection, excellent prices. I would say that it is about 400-600m north of where the ship is on the main road. Sorry, don't know the name.

Sorry these directions are a little sketchy