Review of Celebrity Reflection Italy and Greek Isles 10 night cruise, 19th May 2017

peteukmcr

Hi pete..

Bob and Chris from Aussie.

Firstly, sorry mate for the Manchester attack. It was a atrocious act and we are really sorry in Australia for you guys.

Loved your review and pics very much.

We are doing our first celebrity cruise on the solstice to New Zealand early next year and looking forward to experience a s class ship.

Pete, we have a mid ship balcony stateroom booked, 3 Rs off the hump on deck 7, would that have clear sight over the tender boats?????

Regards bob.

I am on this cruise next month and unlike so many others, don't have a drinks package included. I have had drinks packages before on other cruise lines and found them worthwhile. However, as we only have two sea days, not sure about purchasing it this time. It was really interesting to read Peter's message about the added taxes. So my dilemma is ... purchase drinks as we go (I do like a cocktail or two, champagne and we will also be drinking lots of water), purchase classic package online prior to sailing (in Australian dollars) or purchase classic package when we board and hope for a good deal, albeit the additional taxes and currency conversion etc. I'd really appreciate any advice. It's a lot of money for two people but I don't want to have any regrets. Thanks so much. Sue
Hi Sue. The only advice I can give is that I would assume (if like when we've sailed in the Med before and been subject to the additional VAT at a rate of 22%) that all beverages you purchase if you don't have a package will be subject to the 18% gratuity plus 22% VAT. So a USD 10 drink will be 10 + 1.80 gratuity + 2.20 VAT = USD 14.00. I also think that despite only having 2 sea days you have to consider what you consume in the morning before leaving the ship and what you have when you return, plus the evening. I believe even just having a cocktail or 2 and a glass of wine or champagne and coffees and waters make a package viable. So if you purchase in advance you will save the killer 22% VAT. I definitively didn't see any drink package specials on board.

Sent from Tapatalk

Hi pete..

Bob and Chris from Aussie.

Firstly, sorry mate for the Manchester attack. It was a atrocious act and we are really sorry in Australia for you guys.

Loved your review and pics very much.

We are doing our first celebrity cruise on the solstice to New Zealand early next year and looking forward to experience a s class ship.

Pete, we have a mid ship balcony stateroom booked, 3 Rs off the hump on deck 7, would that have clear sight over the tender boats?????

Regards bob.

Thanks Bob for your kind words. I believe you'll have no problem on deck 7 with the lifeboats obscuring your view. We were originally thinking about deck 6 but were persuaded to go up 1 deck where there is no issue.

Sent from Tapatalk

Hi Pete,

One more question if you don't mind. Were they offering discounts on specialty dining, and if so how much? We're on the same itinerary I think and I'm debating buying a dining package. I keep hearing that you should wait until you get on board because they offer better discounts. On the other hand, I believe that if I take advantage of one of those, I'd pay VAT on it, but I'm not sure how much. Any advice? Thanks

I am on this cruise next month and unlike so many others, don't have a drinks package included. I have had drinks packages before on other cruise lines and found them worthwhile. However, as we only have two sea days, not sure about purchasing it this time. It was really interesting to read Peter's message about the added taxes. So my dilemma is ... purchase drinks as we go (I do like a cocktail or two, champagne and we will also be drinking lots of water), purchase classic package online prior to sailing (in Australian dollars) or purchase classic package when we board and hope for a good deal, albeit the additional taxes and currency conversion etc. I'd really appreciate any advice. It's a lot of money for two people but I don't want to have any regrets. Thanks so much. Sue

Hi

We have just returned from cruise on 10 day Italy and Greek Isles Celebrity Reflection on Monday. We did not buy a drinks package as we do not drink enough to justify the price per person they charge. So I would say it depends on how much you drink to get your moneys worth. We were off the ship every port day and even when back on board the Ocean view Cafe is open 24 hours for teas, coffee except speciality ones, cold water and fruit juices and ice for free. There are other drink stations dotted around we used the master grill station on deck 14 when sunbathing. An example on prices I used to buy a cocktail at $11 and my husband would get a Heineken at $7 and with add ons it came to $22. But it does depend on what you drink and how much. They heavily push the drink packages in the first few days and even if you have the classic package they ask if you want to upgrade to the premium one as a few fellow CC we met up with who had a free classic drinks package in with their booking upgraded to this for an extra $11 per day which they thought benefited them for speciality coffees and other wines,spirits, cocktails not included on the classic package price limit that they drank.

Hope this helps

Kerry

Edited by KerryT

Hi Pete,

One more question if you don't mind. Were they offering discounts on specialty dining, and if so how much? We're on the same itinerary I think and I'm debating buying a dining package. I keep hearing that you should wait until you get on board because they offer better discounts. On the other hand, I believe that if I take advantage of one of those, I'd pay VAT on it, but I'm not sure how much. Any advice? Thanks

Unfortunately we purchased ours before travelling as there was definitely a discount. For 4 dinners we paid £102.50 so approximately $130 which even if you consider the minimum for a specialty dinner is $45 that's a 27% discount off the $180 they would cost. If you did like us, and had 3 dinners that were $45 each and Murano at $60 then on average we saved 33% as the total there would be $195.

There was a desk outside the Oceanview Cafe where I believe speciality restaurant bookings were taken, but I didn't hear of any discounts. I maybe wrong but I doubt you'd get much more than 30% but can't say that with certainty.

We were on the same cruise. Great review, BTW!

We received 50% off of Lawn Club on the first night, and 30% off on the 3 other nights that we dined out. The 3 dinner special is available onboard, as well as online.

Thanks for the feedback. From previous experience I would have expected at least the 30% discount you got, so it's good to know.

For our next 15 night TA Eclipse sailing, I reckon we got an even better deal during a 72 hour flash sale. We got the 6 dinner package for £118 pp so around $25 pp per dinner.

We were on the same cruise. Great review, BTW!

We received 50% off of Lawn Club on the first night, and 30% off on the 3 other nights that we dined out. The 3 dinner special is available onboard, as well as online.

Do you remember if they charged Vat on it, and if so, how much?

Thanks

Thanks so much for this! I'm doing the same cruise solo, My 1st! Sept 1-11. Going 2 days early to get over jetlag,. Got a sweet little air B&B room, near what I need. Can't wait for your info!! I'll stay after cruise and see more of Rome, visit friends, then decide when to come back home!! xoxo, the Canadian from India! :cool:

We have just returned from a fantastic 10 night Italy and Greek Islands cruise on board Celebrity Reflection.

This review is of the ship, facilities, staff and services provided, not the ports although I will try and answer any questions you may have.

It may take a few days to put it all together with photos, so please bear with me (I've had to return to work to pay for the next one!).

I will break it down into the following sections:

• Cruise Summary
  • Food and Drink
  • Dining Venues
  • Entertainment and other Venues
  • Lounges
  • Pool Deck
  • Services
  • Accommodations
  • Captain's Club
  • Internet Access (Xcelerate)
  • Conclusions

For today here's the summary.

Cruise Summary

We travelled from Manchester, UK to Rome on 18th May and stayed in the Hotel De La Ville in Civitavecchia overnight before the cruise.

In summary, we thoroughly enjoyed our 2nd sailing with Celebrity. Reflection is just beautiful, with a great layout with plentyof space and is very impressive. The Lawn Club is a great unique space offering a great casual area to relax.

This was a 10-night sailing from Civitavecchia (Italy) toMessina (Sicily), Valetta (Malta), the Greek Islands of Mykonos, Rhodes andSantorini. Piraeus for Athens and Naples (Italy).

Embarkation

We arrived by private hotel shuttle at the check in area at 10:35 am on 19th May, our bags were taken by stewards, we completed the health questionnaire, cleared security, checked in and was on board by 10:45 amand offered a welcome beverage as we boarded.

Oceanview Café opened for lunch at 11:30 am and staterooms were available at 12:30 pm.

Disembarkation

We left the ship with no lines at 08:30 am, located our bags (no immigration checks), then found our private shared shuttle driver and were on our way to the airport by 9:00 at the latest.

Great experiences and far superior to many other ports and we have always had good service here in Civitavecchia.

I'm afraid that's all for tonight (it's 9:30 pm here in the UK :)).

awwww.....this brings back so many memories of our first ever cruise last year...on the gorgeous reflection, i absolutely loved it....we did greece turkey and italy and it was amazing. booked to go on a baltic one this year in august - on board eclipse....just hope she lives up to our experience on reflection ...

Do you remember if they charged Vat on it, and if so, how much?

Thanks

No VAT on the dinners. We had VAT on shop purchases, though. I believe 18%.

Thanks for the feedback. From previous experience I would have expected at least the 30% discount you got, so it's good to know.

For our next 15 night TA Eclipse sailing, I reckon we got an even better deal during a 72 hour flash sale. We got the 6 dinner package for £118 pp so around $25 pp per dinner.

Great deal! ;)

Hi

We have just returned from cruise on 10 day Italy and Greek Isles Celebrity Reflection on Monday. We did not buy a drinks package as we do not drink enough to justify the price per person they charge. So I would say it depends on how much you drink to get your moneys worth. We were off the ship every port day and even when back on board the Ocean view Cafe is open 24 hours for teas, coffee except speciality ones, cold water and fruit juices and ice for free. There are other drink stations dotted around we used the master grill station on deck 14 when sunbathing. An example on prices I used to buy a cocktail at $11 and my husband would get a Heineken at $7 and with add ons it came to $22. But it does depend on what you drink and how much. They heavily push the drink packages in the first few days and even if you have the classic package they ask if you want to upgrade to the premium one as a few fellow CC we met up with who had a free classic drinks package in with their booking upgraded to this for an extra $11 per day which they thought benefited them for speciality coffees and other wines,spirits, cocktails not included on the classic package price limit that they drank.

Hope this helps

Kerry

I'm doing this one Sept 1-11! 1st cruise!! Thanks for the info!! Kalavati

Does anyone know what people do with their stuff (ship passes/cards, wallets, etc), when you go to one of the beaches? Sure don't want to just leave them to get stolen, but don't want them to get soaking wet in the Med. water either. I suppose ziploc bags maybe???

No VAT on the dinners. We had VAT on shop purchases, though. I believe 18%.

Great deal! ;)

The Italian VAT charged was 22%, we in the UK have 20%. If you sail from Barcelona which is another popular Mediterranean starting point and do not visit a non-EU port you be charged the Spanish VAT rate which is 21%.

Hi All

We're also just back from our 9th June sailing (Hi Kerry) as we stayed in Rome for 5 days post cruise. It was a great Cruise and the ports of call as Pete has so excellently given us his reviews were spot on.

All onboard purchases from the shops, including photos are subject to 22% VAT as Pete has previously mentioned, it is well highlighted in all the shops.

We had the classic drinks package which was included in our cruise price. All drinks purchased without the package are subject to 18% tax. We did buy a couple of drinks that were on the premium package and only had to pay the difference in price plus 18% tax. Last year we would have had to pay the full price of the premium drink plus tax.

If we didn't have the package included we would have bought it prior to the cruise that way we didn't have to worry about another bill at the end if the cruise. I heard that the bottled water was $3.50 per bottle that alone woukd have added up to over $10 per day for each of us and we drank a lot of it onboard and took a couple of bottles on our shore trips. The cappuccino's at Cafe al Bacio are excellent and you can get a carry out as we did on numerous occasions prior to our shore tours. Also, on the morning before we disembarked, we had a leisurely coffee whilst waiting for our taxi. Coffee isn't free there, but it is in the Ocean View Cafe as Kerry has previously mentioned.

So, you're probably looking at least $20 plus for two drinks alone, it can quickly add up.

Make sure to bring plenty of light summer clothes as it was extremely hot in all of the ports.

We walked down the steps in Santorini, it was an experience, I was going to wait for the cable car but as the rest of the group walked down, I did also. It took us approximately 35-40 minutes. I had sandles on and changed them to to runners, as I had brought them with me in case I did end up coming down the steps. The steps were inclined to be slippy in parts due to all the footfall on them. Also, trying to avoid the Donkey droppings which was worse when the poor things were gathered together in the sun waiting to be hired. Our guide told us that up to some years ago they would have been killed at the end of the season but there is now a lady who has opened a sanctuary for them.😢😢😢.

I wouldn't do that again, you should have seen the state of us by the time we got in the tender due to the heat, those cold little towels the Celebrity staff gave us as we got on the tender were a godsend.

The connections Party as Pete had mentioned was on our first sea day on the Monday at 10.15 in Cellar Masters but not all of the CC members received the invite, it should be in your cabin when you embark. Also, the clocks going forward another hour probably didn't help as quite a lot of CC members didn't turn up probably about 18 out of I think 70 ish on our roll call. If the invite isn't there enquire at the Guest Relations Desk on Deck 3.

The chic nights are normally on the sailing days so our first one should have been on the Monday but it was held on the Sunday instead, we were speaking with the Maitre D

and he said it was because the menus were printed with the chic night on the Sunday so it was held on the night we had visited Malta.

All I can say, it was a great experience, you will all have a marvellous time!!😁😁😁

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Thank you for your information on your cruise. We are sailing on 11 August. I would appreciate any advice re travelling to/from Rome to the cruise terminal. We are staying in Rome both pre & post cruise & initially thought we would get the train but I'm not so sure that is a good option now I have researched further. Can you please advise how you travelled to/from the ship to Rome?

Many thanks

We used Civitavecchia Shuttle Services which turned out to be excellent. I organized it for 8 of us going from Rome to Civitavecchia, we were already a group of 4 so I posted on our Roll Call and another two couples shared the shuttle which collected from 3 hotels for €185+ tip this was a private shuttle.

Going back from Civitavecchia to 2 hotels in Rome for 4 cost €130 + tip and this was to be a shared shuttle not just for us 4 but there was no one else in it. For the shared shuttle there were two pick up times, 7 or 7.30 cannot remember which and 9.30 we took the 9.30. The private shuttle we could pick any time so organised it for first hotel pick up at 10am and we arrived at the ship at approximately 11.45. We were onboard having coffee by 12.15!! Look at their website for prices. We found them to be excellent. Didn't fancy pulling heavy suitcases through the cobbled streets of Rome and on and off trains.

Mary

• 2 months later...
Hi All

We had the classic drinks package which was included in our cruise price. All drinks purchased without the package are subject to 18% tax. We did buy a couple of drinks that were on the premium package and only had to pay the difference in price plus 18% tax.

The 18% on alcohol is actually a service charge (or a tip, I hope) not a tax.

"A standard service charge of 18% is automatically added to the price of drinks and 15% is added for beauty treatments."

So I am still unsure if we pay VAT on onboard dining purchases... Has anyone looked at their statement to check?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Great thread, super review and info, I have re-read it all in prep for our cruise on the same route in June.
Apologies for not replying sooner, but just back from a sailing on Oasis of the Seas.

Glad it helped, and have a great cruise in June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk