Review of Celebrity Reflection Italy and Greek Isles 10 night cruise, 19th May 2017

peteukmcr

Thank you very much for your review and the wonderful pictures. We will be on a similar cruise next year and I am interested in the view of the various volcanoes. While Santorini and Naples/Vesuvio are quite clear to me, can you please tell me whether you had some view of the Etna sailing to/out of Messina and whether you sailed near enough to Stromboli to catch a glimpse of it (in your way from Rome to Messina or in the way back to Naples)?

Thank you very much for your review and the wonderful pictures. We will be on a similar cruise next year and I am interested in the view of the various volcanoes. While Santorini and Naples/Vesuvio are quite clear to me, can you please tell me whether you had some view of the Etna sailing to/out of Messina and whether you sailed near enough to Stromboli to catch a glimpse of it (in your way from Rome to Messina or in the way back to Naples)?
Due to cloudy weather we couldn't see Etna when leaving Messina but we could see Stromboli clearly when sailing towards Naples. I'll see if I have a photo of it.

Hi Pete,

Just a question on dining packages as wondering whether to purchase before sailing or wait till onboard and see if they have any offers. There is a 3 dining speciality package but if you just wanted to book adhoc once on board one or two nights at a speciality restaurant were they offering any discounts. Any advice or recommendations on this and what would be best option ?

Thanks

Kerry

We were on the Reflection cruise before the one reviewed here. There will be a manned desk at the entrance to the Ocean view Cafe where you can make enquiries and bookings for the specialty restaurants. If you tell them what you are interested in and ask what they can do regarding the cost, you should find it fairly easy to get a deal. We got 25% off Lawn Club and Tuscan Grille. Enjoyed them both, but Lawn Club was excellent 😀

We were on the Reflection cruise before the one reviewed here. There will be a manned desk at the entrance to the Ocean view Cafe where you can make enquiries and bookings for the specialty restaurants. If you tell them what you are interested in and ask what they can do regarding the cost, you should find it fairly easy to get a deal. We got 25% off Lawn Club and Tuscan Grille. Enjoyed them both, but Lawn Club was excellent [emoji3]
Thanks for the input, I knew I'd seen something somewhere but couldn't remember [emoji1]

Sent from Tapatalk

Thanks again Pete for a great insight on Santorini especially Drosos cafe, we'll be definitely giving it a wide berth.

We're as far as Heathrow, waiting for the 12.45 flight at the moment!!

Mary

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Safe travels and feel free to pass on the warning of the Drosos cafe!

Thank you! We will be on this same cruise in August and really appreciate your reviews!!

We have just returned from a fantastic 10 night Italy and Greek Islands cruise on board Celebrity Reflection.

This review is of the ship, facilities, staff and services provided, not the ports although I will try and answer any questions you may have.

It may take a few days to put it all together with photos, so please bear with me (I've had to return to work to pay for the next one!).

I will break it down into the following sections:

• Cruise Summary
  • Food and Drink
  • Dining Venues
  • Entertainment and other Venues
  • Lounges
  • Pool Deck
  • Services
  • Accommodations
  • Captain's Club
  • Internet Access (Xcelerate)
  • Conclusions

For today here's the summary.

Cruise Summary

We travelled from Manchester, UK to Rome on 18th May and stayed in the Hotel De La Ville in Civitavecchia overnight before the cruise.

In summary, we thoroughly enjoyed our 2nd sailing with Celebrity. Reflection is just beautiful, with a great layout with plentyof space and is very impressive. The Lawn Club is a great unique space offering a great casual area to relax.

This was a 10-night sailing from Civitavecchia (Italy) toMessina (Sicily), Valetta (Malta), the Greek Islands of Mykonos, Rhodes andSantorini. Piraeus for Athens and Naples (Italy).

Embarkation

We arrived by private hotel shuttle at the check in area at 10:35 am on 19th May, our bags were taken by stewards, we completed the health questionnaire, cleared security, checked in and was on board by 10:45 amand offered a welcome beverage as we boarded.

Oceanview Café opened for lunch at 11:30 am and staterooms were available at 12:30 pm.

Disembarkation

We left the ship with no lines at 08:30 am, located our bags (no immigration checks), then found our private shared shuttle driver and were on our way to the airport by 9:00 at the latest.

Great experiences and far superior to many other ports and we have always had good service here in Civitavecchia.

I'm afraid that's all for tonight (it's 9:30 pm here in the UK :)).

Due to cloudy weather we couldn't see Etna when leaving Messina but we could see Stromboli clearly when sailing towards Naples. I'll see if I have a photo of it.

Thank you very much Pete! As silly as it sounds I am very much looking forward to seeing Stromboli :)!

Day 8 - May 26th - Piraeus, Athens, Greece

We arrived early into port around 6 am into Cruise Passenger Terminal B (Themistocles) which is quite a way out from the centre of Piraeus. On one of our last visits we docked closer to town which meant it was a short walk to the 'Electric Railway' which we used to travel into Athens.

This time it didn't appear that was a practical solution as we were a further 3/4 mile away and the weather didn't look promising at first.

Celebrity announced that one of the HOHO bus companies (Athens OpenTour) were on board with ticket sales in the atrium on deck 3 and on 14 outside the Oceanview Café.

We decided to purchase a ticket on this which was charged to our SeaPass account at a rate of $49 pp. More than I wanted to pay to be honest, but my fault for not planning more in advance but I just assumed we'd dock closer to town as we'd done before.

We ended up being booked on the 09:30 am departure and asked to meet on deck 3 in the atrium at around 09:15 am.

The bus reps accompanied us off the ship and then handed us over to another rep who directed us to the yellow bus. Upon boarding we were give headphones, a bar of Olive Oil soap, a DVD and a bottle of water.

The route of this bus (with a couple of stops en route including the Planetarium and Athens Intercontinental Hotel) terminated near the Acropolis enabling connection with the 'city centre' route which is what we wanted to take us to the Plaka (old town).

The trip took around 30 minutes and then we transferred to the Athens 'blue line' and then travelled to the stop for the Plaka and walked through the Arch of Adrian towards the Temple of Zeus.

d56894c9a004290ccb2e31c53287bb0d.jpg

5b585a8f3e5bff44d39000a90d8454e8.jpg

After this photo stop we entered the Plaka and wandered through the narrow streets, had coffee and then lunch at the excellent Vyzantino Taverna.

2396235f1a336e5e053dd35900530653.jpg

0b0a1e7badb190987a713533bc61430f.jpg

After lunch we walked back to the bus stop, passing below the Acropolis which we've visited on a previous stop in Piraeus.

e7cf1ac90a1adc104cbee8a7badda459.jpg

46d90f81e1d178c707ed2ccb2d8b3550.jpg

Once back at the ship we relaxed until time for our invite to attend sail away from the bow of the ship as documented earlier.

Next was a sea day as we headed for Naples.

So May 27th we spent relaxing and doing very little around the ship, having a gourmet burger lunch at the Lawn Club Grill and taking photos around the ship.

As we had an early start (meeting at 08:00 am) for our shore excursion to Pompeii we ordered room service breakfast for 06:30 am.

Edited by peteukmcr

Day 10 - May 28th, Naples, Italy

We awoke early (due to room service breakfast being due at 06:30 am) and we'd already passed Stromboli after sailing through the straits of Messina the evening before.

Breakfast arrived promptly at 06:30 am and so we ate this on the balcony and then got ready for our trip to Pompeii.

We met our guide Vito on the bus and provided with a ear piece and audio receiver. I have to say he was one of the best guides we've ever had on a shore excursion. He was so informative, amusing and knowledgeable it was a great tour. He'd been a guide for Bill Clinton and many more famous faces.

There is so much to see in Pompeii, with Vesuvius, the cause of the destruction as the backdrop, it's hard to document the visit by photos, but here's a few.

7dc5fc4e55f1bac2c990f4dcd2aac737.jpg

ead8a214344558783f3a7fddc7425917.jpg

d36731e7dc1dae0fa2fe320d80f1441e.jpg

093e55d2891a5b601faefdcc2293b061.jpg

9bc39fcbf9161b7154f33af03bf1b20b.jpg

c9e13f8c5016ca8aacce319830edd709.jpg

After returning to the ship we went straight into Naples to get some lunch (well we were in the home of the pizza!) and explore which is easy to do as the cruise terminal is walking distance from the centre.

And then that was it, all port calls done and the history lessons over, and there's a lot to learn in the area of the world! We've been visiting for years and each time we find more to explore, see and learn.

Edited by peteukmcr

Naples continued

1e662c0c41c786cd44c8aff56bb9357b.jpg

171310879d189846de2b93cbece138d2.jpg

a177718472f5ba5d3599201f60ef2fec.jpg

60d56e0913221c8383770f4fab79124d.jpg

Our final sunset on the wonderful Celebrity Reflection.

3de6e8b06c363468362ac0e4ada82ff6.jpg

Thank you for reading and travelling along with me on this review, it was a great way of remembering this great cruise.

Until the next one (140 days before we set off for a westbound transatlantic sailing on Celebrity Eclipse), bye for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pete,

Thank you for your wonderful trip report! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! We are currently in Rome and will be boarding the Reflection for the same cruise TOMORROW!!

I can hardly wait!

Gayl

Oh having been back at work for over a week now I'm so jealous. I've never enjoyed a ship so much I don't think (I enjoy all cruises but this was so good). Enjoy, I know you will.

Thank you so much for your comprehensive report and fantastic photos and video of your trip on Reflection. We are doing the same itinerary in August and the information you have provided will be very useful. Thanks again for taking the time to post your report.

Can I ask.... which was the second formal/chic night ? We are on the same cruise in August. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It was on the last sea day (only 2) so that was the day after we left Piraeus (27th May).

Sent from Tapatalk

Hi pete, I don't recall you commenting on the Connection Party. Was there one and if so was it well attended ?

Apologies, I thought I did, but maybe not. It was held on first sea day at 10:15 am in Cellar Masters.

It was we'll attended by CC members and crew. Julie Sherrington (head of guest relations) welcomed us and introduced the crew. Refreshments were provided too.

Sent from Tapatalk

Thank you so much for your comprehensive report and fantastic photos and video of your trip on Reflection. We are doing the same itinerary in August and the information you have provided will be very useful. Thanks again for taking the time to post your report.
You're most welcome. Glad it was useful.

Sent from Tapatalk

I am on this cruise next month and unlike so many others, don't have a drinks package included. I have had drinks packages before on other cruise lines and found them worthwhile. However, as we only have two sea days, not sure about purchasing it this time. It was really interesting to read Peter's message about the added taxes. So my dilemma is ... purchase drinks as we go (I do like a cocktail or two, champagne and we will also be drinking lots of water), purchase classic package online prior to sailing (in Australian dollars) or purchase classic package when we board and hope for a good deal, albeit the additional taxes and currency conversion etc. I'd really appreciate any advice. It's a lot of money for two people but I don't want to have any regrets. Thanks so much. Sue