Desert "to die for"...particularly on the Oosterdam.

Tinknock50

I'm a former PT and weight loss coach and havie lost over 100bs myself. I've never gained weighed on a cruise but I have lost weight ... I work on a few simple rules. On the first day I eat whatever I want and as much as I want ...if it's a b2b I will do the same on turnaround day ... And on the last day I do the same. In between I keep very active swimming in the pool , gym , laps of the promenade, and even a few rounds of table tennis helps. I walk up the stairs but take the elevator down as I have bad knees as a result of my previous weight .. I can easily eat 3/4 courses each meal whether it be breakfast, lunch, dinner , snack but I make myself walk a mile after each meal.

At the end of the day it's all going to come down to basic maths whatever you choose to eat or not to eat ... So my mantra is if I can't burn it off I don't put it in my mouth. But nothing is ever forbidden :hearteyes:

Good luck X

Thanks for the advice. I actually ended up losing weight. :) I did eat a couple of desserts. Probably my favorite was the little Birthday chocolate cake with the light white frosting HAL surprised me with. I ate the whole thing.

Thanks for the advice. I actually ended up losing weight. :) I did eat a couple of desserts. Probably my favorite was the little Birthday chocolate cake with the light white frosting HAL surprised me with. I ate the whole thing.

Well done you :hearteyes::D ... Glad you enjoyed your deserts and cruise X

The baked meringue pavlovas are very good, and there is a dense chocolate wedge that had a caramel crispy crunchy base that was worth the calories, but I have not seen it lately. There are plenty of good desserts on HAL ships, so chose your poison carefully.

You know the trusty French Women Don't Get Fat rule, eat only three bites of anything. Three long, well-savored bites. Then push it away. (Okay, sure)

The Pavlovas are okay to me. When we were in New Zealand they were to die for!!!! I was comparing them to the ones in New Zealand. Now I do have a down fall for their bread pudding and sauce!

👍

Denise 🤗

The Pavlovas are okay to me. When we were in New Zealand they were to die for!!!! I was comparing them to the ones in New Zealand. Now I do have a down fall for their bread pudding and sauce!

Denise

Agree, as nice as the pavlovas are on board for a lighter change of pace, the ones in AUNZ are perfection - with their soft, pillowy insides. I got an "authentic" recipe from some NZ friends but have never been able to duplicate them at home in the US.

Though my next best thing state side always makes for a great dessert, using whatever fruit is in season and sweetened sour cream instead of whipped cream to drizzle over it. Best thing is you can make the pavlova shells ahead of time - even days ahead of times and they store airtight.

While many of the following has been said by others, here are my thoughts as a person who has to carefully watch their fat and sugar intake.

Before I had such limitations, I tried many HAL (well, actually numerous cruise line) desserts. I was almost always disappointed with them - they sounded and looked so much better than they tasted. (My Opinion). Now, the Fruit Soups are another story! I used to almost have a Fruit Soup for dessert. However, they were actually horrible for me as they are mainly made with Whole Cream and sugar included along with the berries. I tried to duplicate several of them at home using low or non-fat yoghurt or non-fat or low fat sour cream - Certainly not the same! So I had to give-up on them on board. (If I change my mindset and make the soups with low-fat, and low sugar components along with a bit of cinnamon, they can be very good, but NOT like those with whole cream!)

Now, if I have "dessert" it is usually no-sugar added ice cream or soft-serve which is made with low fat milk as an afternoon snack.

Some evenings I do get a fruit plate for desert, but as a word of CAUTION - on longer cruises they frequently run out of berries, so a fruit plate of melons, pineapple, apples and maybe grapes is frequently you option. (Berries have a shorter "shelf life".)

We always ask to have our cabin fruit basket to be filled with oranges - two purposes - we get our fresh oranges now in the morning instead of juice from concentrates and one orange in the afternoon is really a very satisfying sweet treat.

And with all our days cruising we never, ever had to worry about getting scurvy. :cool: And we bring along our own orange peeler - little hook tool.

Glad to read that you enjoyed your cruise. If you are ever on a HAL ship with Tamarind, the Tamarind Chocolate and the Mango Cloud are really good choices. The combination of dark chocolate and ginger in the Tamarind Chocolate is excellent. One of the best desserts we have ever had on a HAL ship.

Glad to read that you enjoyed your cruise. If you are ever on a HAL ship with Tamarind, the Tamarind Chocolate and the Mango Cloud are really good choices. The combination of dark chocolate and ginger in the Tamarind Chocolate is excellent. One of the best desserts we have ever had on a HAL ship.

Thanks. I will have to look into that as a dessert I cave in for on the Eurodam next year. :)

LOL Just realized why you wrote this! Nice catch, I saw it multiple times and it didn't click! :D

I meant to correct that before posting, but it got past me before I could. I don't know how to correct titles.

To give me some credit I did spell it right in all my posts , save one, and that was at the last minute before we headed out the door for the flight to our cruise so I hope I can be forgiven for that one. :)