Desert "to die for"...particularly on the Oosterdam.

Tinknock50

Well, since I'd be on a cruise, which I don't do every day, I think I'd forget all about the personal trainer and what he says. I'm fond of crème brulee and ask for it, even when it's not on the menu. Pavlova is good too. Actually I like HAL's desserts, since I never make them at home. So it is a special treat for me when I sail. :halo::halo::halo:

Marianne

I sort of made that point with my trainer, but he countered with "you can get that at home anytime". He is right, the Fry's right down the street from me makes some "to die for" deserts. He is right, but I hate it when he is right. LOL

My vote would be the "Snickers Cake". We have had it about 3-4 times on different ships. Not always offered. We had it only once of our last cruise across the Atlantic a month ago. Some rumors we heard is it is made outside HAL and not on board which would match with only having it on one dinner out of Ft. Lauderdale early on our 30 day cruise. It is really rich and very good.

DSCN7636.jpg

OK, I'm going to amend my earlier comment. ;) THIS is one baked dessert item on HAL that I did enjoy. We had it a couple of weeks ago on the Amsterdam. As I recall, it was on the menu for Gala night.

Oh that was GOOD. DH and I really enjoyed it too :)

Glad you had it also! I should have ordered two of them and put one in our fridge for later consumption, of course without the ice cream. I was hoping we would have had it again on the cruise but alas it did not happen. :(

Agree, desserts are not that special on cruise lines in general... depending on where we are cruising, i.e., Europe... we buy dessert in port, way better!! Recall buying some great dessert items in Venice Italy and southern Spanish ports... took enough back to the ship to share with staff they loved it, both room stewards and waiters in the MDR. They get tired of the same old thing on the ships too.

I didn't gain a pound in the three weeks. I did walk five miles every day on the promenade deck.

I'm sure the daily walks had a lot do do with your success at not gaining any weight. That's a lot of walking!

Thought OP was looking for dessert suggestions here.. :confused:

Once you have sailed on HAL, you will understand the comment -- cold fruit soups are often on the menu as a soup course, and some people instead order them for dessert. Pretty high in fat.

Once you have sailed on HAL, you will understand the comment -- cold fruit soups are often on the menu as a soup course, and some people instead order them for dessert. Pretty high in fat.

I don't eat dessert so I haven't had anything to add.... But but i didn't realise those fruit soups are high in fat - DH loves those.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

Cold fruit soups are not unique to HAL, and we've seen them on the menu (as a soup course) on various lines. OP was asking for 'to die for' dessert suggestions, for which the cold fruit soups do not immediately come to mind (especially as a dessert)! ;)

Oh yes...forgot about the Snickers Cake!!! (In the Lido one night, a chef stopped by the table to see how we were. We had just been discussing a favorite dessert we had had once that was caramel and chocolate ganache and asked him if he knew if it would be served on that cruise. He excused himself to check it out and came back 10 minutes later with 4 slices of Snickers Cake. It had not been served on that cruise nor did it appear, so someone had a private stock of it!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Deb.....my Personal Trainer said to imagine him slapping me on the back of my head if I considered eating the wrong stuff. LOL

He said fresh berries of any kind would be a good choice for my sweet.

I LOVE raspberries with chocolate so you may have just found me a winner. :D

lol Sean I should imagine someone slapping me on the back of my head that may work. [emoji23]

Raspberries and chocolate are one of my favorite combinations too, I think that's why I enjoyed that dessert so much!

Enjoy every minute and every bite of dessert this week!!

lol Sean I should imagine someone slapping me on the back of my head that may work. [emoji23]

Raspberries and chocolate are one of my favorite combinations too, I think that's why I enjoyed that dessert so much!

Enjoy every minute and every bite of dessert this week!!

Room service has a very moist chocolate cake that comes with a raspberry sauce floating around it. Always good.

To stick to OP's topic, I think I'd rate Death Valley first, followed by Sahara. I've not seen Gobi, but from what I've heard that too is spectacular.

But what is all this chit chat about after dinner treats?

Only problem the Osterdam just doesn't go to any of those scorching and sandy locales. Might have to settle for a death by chocolate face off in the Osterdam culinary lounge. :cool:

Truly, HAL desserts are not what they used to be. About the only special thing is the Chocolate Volcano cake in the Pinnacle Grill.

Of course, I've been known to get doubles on Baked Alaska night.

Having spent many years as a personal trainer - and, in fact, having been a guest fitness/motivation instructor on multiple cruises - I would never (and have never) suggest a client to choose only one dessert for the week. I would recommend eat 1/2. Or, if it's really good, go ahead and eat it. It's one week. It's a special trip.

As for the "you can get that here" comment...if you go with that, you wouldn't need to eat anything. After all, you can get steak, seafood, salad, etc at home as well.

There have been many times where I've had a bowl of berries for dessert but that is only because I've never been a huge fan of sweets. I do like my creme brulee, pavlova, baked Alaska, and bananas foster though.

Enjoy! And, tell us what you decided to do upon your return.

To stick to OP's topic, I think I'd rate Death Valley first, followed by Sahara. I've not seen Gobi, but from what I've heard that too is spectacular.

But what is all this chit chat about after dinner treats?

LOL Just realized why you wrote this! Nice catch, I saw it multiple times and it didn't click! :D

I'm a former PT and weight loss coach and havie lost over 100bs myself. I've never gained weighed on a cruise but I have lost weight ... I work on a few simple rules. On the first day I eat whatever I want and as much as I want ...if it's a b2b I will do the same on turnaround day ... And on the last day I do the same. In between I keep very active swimming in the pool , gym , laps of the promenade, and even a few rounds of table tennis helps. I walk up the stairs but take the elevator down as I have bad knees as a result of my previous weight .. I can easily eat 3/4 courses each meal whether it be breakfast, lunch, dinner , snack but I make myself walk a mile after each meal.

At the end of the day it's all going to come down to basic maths whatever you choose to eat or not to eat ... So my mantra is if I can't burn it off I don't put it in my mouth. But nothing is ever forbidden :hearteyes:

Good luck X

• 4 weeks later...
The baked meringue pavlovas are very good, and there is a dense chocolate wedge that had a caramel crispy crunchy base that was worth the calories, but I have not seen it lately. There are plenty of good desserts on HAL ships, so chose your poison carefully.

You know the trusty French Women Don't Get Fat rule, eat only three bites of anything. Three long, well-savored bites. Then push it away. (Okay, sure)

I saw them up at the Lido on the Amsterdam during lunch hours they make a great dessert after the dive in :D!

When and where is pavlova available? That is one of my all time favorites and so hard to find. Traditionally it is also lower in calories since it was created for the famous ballerina that was watching her figure.

Check out the Lido at lunch time they always had tons on the Amsterdam, 1 day kiwi and 1 day mandarin!