Is it possible?

GUT2407

Oh my. They are all on my wish list but as you say, they are not cheap. Guess my only hope is to win the lottery.

If you had to choose just one of the journeys, which one would you go for?

That's actually hard to say because they are all so different.

The Royal Scotsman was the best overall but the journeys are short. Very interesting for us coming from down under, as we'd never been to Scotland before.

The Maharajah's Express is a fascinating journey and a great way to see some of the highlights of India.

The Indian Pacific is a fantastic way to cross Australia and could be linked with a cruise.

The E&OE was excellent but, due to weather conditions, we didn't cover the whole route.

That's actually hard to say because they are all so different.

The Indian Pacific is a fantastic way to cross Australia and could be linked with a cruise.

Think I'd go for this one which as you say can be linked with a cruise at the beginning and at the end - which brings us nicely back to the subject of this thread :D

Think I'd go for this one which as you say can be linked with a cruise at the beginning and at the end - which brings us nicely back to the subject of this thread :D

That is one great advantage of the train/cruise package.:D

One cold miserable day I did actually start to try and cost out such a trip but got seriously scared as the price started to go on an unhealthy upwards rise.

Definitely one to do if we were to ever win the lottery..

One cold miserable day I did actually start to try and cost out such a trip but got seriously scared as the price started to go on an unhealthy upwards rise.

Definitely one to do if we were to ever win the lottery..

Back in 2015 we looked at an Indian Pacific / Cruise package. Turned out it cost less to do a Circumnavigation of Australia and the South Island of NZ. Took 14 days longer but cost less.

The train trips are certainly not cheap, (like a cruise can seem when compared).

I agree the two train trip are dear, I think the Ghan platinum 3nights is about 8 - 10k for two compare that to 13 nights round NZ in a suite for 11k, I think cruising it the only way to go.

We have done the Indian pacific about 15 years ago first class deluxe Adelaide - Sydney-Perth ( the 4x4 was too tall to go from Sydney )

and maybe the person who ask about which ship was thinking more the like the ferry

Spirit of Tasmania yes we have done 14 return trips, which gave as the idea less go cruising.

Cheers Don