Is it possible?

GUT2407

Since we're retired I always feel odd using the word "vacation". I think of a vacation as time off from work or school - neither of which we do any more.

So our cruises I guess would be trips or voyages - depending on the length. Our 34 day circumnavigation of Australia and NZ was an incredible voyage.

The only "vacation", I use the word as we are "vacating" our usual lives is a cruise which includes warm weather and at some point a beach. Everything else is a "trip". As a matter of fact we just did a "trip", by land in a car and since we live in Florida and went north we 'froze" the whole time (Memorial day weekend) in Maryland and New York! While it was nice to see family it was no way, no how anything that resembles a "vacation"! hehehehe!!!

BTW - I have a brother, we tried for years to get him and his wife to take cruises with us, no way they wouldn't go. We move away and for some reason they "discover" cruising. Now all they talk about is their cruises! We still haven't been able to "hook up" with them and take a "joint" one, but we are hoping one of these days our schedules will allow us.

It's another of those linguistic variations that keep a few nations divided by a common language.

Definitely!

One of the advantages of travel is learning about all our differences as well as commonalities.

This is also one of the reasons why most of my international travels have been combinations of land and sea travel. I find staying in B&Bs and even hostels meets my desire to know more of a country than its famous sights. There is nothing like sharing time with the people of a destination.

Its also a downside to cruising if you only are mingling with other cruisers who have a common background even when from other countries. So many people only go on cruise or group tours. There is so much to learn when you add a cruise extension and leave the larger tourist destinations.

In so many ways my cruises have been an introduction to those places that I want to see. But to know a place I need to spend some more time there And my cruising has helped me identify places I want to see more in depth.

Recently someone told me they were going on a holiday I asked "Which ship" they said "It's not a cruise".

is that really possible?1f914.png🤔1f644.png🙄1f62e.png😮1f61c.png😜

Why would you assume that anyone who goes on a holiday must be going on a cruise. As hard as it may be for you to believe, there are lots of us who enjoy doing things on land. Some of us do cruises and land trips. Even more of us only do land trips.

If it were me and someone told me that they were going on a holiday, I would respond if I responded at all by asking "where are you going?".

DON

Why would you assume that anyone who goes on a holiday must be going on a cruise. As hard as it may be for you to believe, there are lots of us who enjoy doing things on land. Some of us do cruises and land trips. Even more of us only do land trips.

If it were me and someone told me that they were going on a holiday, I would respond if I responded at all by asking "where are you going?".

DON

I think you are taking the original post too seriously.

This may shock some people here but I've always dreamed of doing one of those long distance train journeys. The dream would be Sydney to Perth, on the Great Southern Railway 😀 it's about 3 times the price for the same cruise 😀

So I will have to keep dreaming though if I won the lottery one way by rail then return by cruise ship.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

This may shock some people here but I've always dreamed of doing one of those long distance train journeys. The dream would be Sydney to Perth, on the Great Southern Railway 😀 it's about 3 times the price for the same cruise 😀

So I will have to keep dreaming though if I won the lottery one way by rail then return by cruise ship.

But the Indian-Pacific is surely a cruise on rails.

That is cruising at a different sea level. They can be expensive but they do offer half cruising one way and half train travel back packages that go from Sydney to Perth and back again.

This may shock some people here but I've always dreamed of doing one of those long distance train journeys. The dream would be Sydney to Perth, on the Great Southern Railway it's about 3 times the price for the same cruise

We've done a few of those rail trips. They are almost as good as cruising although you don't always get a good night's sleep like on a ship.

The Indian Pacific train is great. We did this many, many years ago. They've added the Platinum class since then, and included drinks. I'd love to do it again one day, and also the Ghan up to Darwin. It is expensive but compared with other luxury train trips the prices aren't too bad and there are discounts for booking early.

The best was the Royal Scotsman, all inclusive with interesting excursions. The train "stabled" each night at a station so we did get a good night's sleep. The meals were wonderful and the evening parties were legend and, on a couple of nights, ended up with most of the guests trying to do Scottish country dances on the station platform. :D

The Maharajas Express is a wonderful way to see some of the main tourist areas of India. Almost all inclusive although the included wines weren't very good, but you could buy better wines. The train travelled at night, with lots of tooting, so earplugs were a must if you wanted to sleep. Highlight of that trip was a very early morning visit to the Taj Mahal followed by a champagne breakfast on a small hill overlooking the Taj Mahal.

We also did the Eastern & Orient Express - a curtailed trip as flooding in Southern Thailand meant the train was stuck in Malaysia. Lovely train but noisy at night.

We've done a few of those rail trips. They are almost as good as cruising although you don't always get a good night's sleep like on a ship.

The Indian Pacific train is great. We did this many, many years ago. They've added the Platinum class since then, and included drinks. I'd love to do it again one day, and also the Ghan up to Darwin. It is expensive but compared with other luxury train trips the prices aren't too bad and there are discounts for booking early.

The best was the Royal Scotsman, all inclusive with interesting excursions. The train "stabled" each night at a station so we did get a good night's sleep. The meals were wonderful and the evening parties were legend and, on a couple of nights, ended up with most of the guests trying to do Scottish country dances on the station platform. :D

The Maharajas Express is a wonderful way to see some of the main tourist areas of India. Almost all inclusive although the included wines weren't very good, but you could buy better wines. The train travelled at night, with lots of tooting, so earplugs were a must if you wanted to sleep. Highlight of that trip was a very early morning visit to the Taj Mahal followed by a champagne breakfast on a small hill overlooking the Taj Mahal.

We also did the Eastern & Orient Express - a curtailed trip as flooding in Southern Thailand meant the train was stuck in Malaysia. Lovely train but noisy at night.

I'd love to do the Orient Express one day, doubt it will happen though.

I suppose you were just training to be a cruiser. :p

:D:D:D

But seriously, although we didn't realise it at the time, since we hadn't really started cruising then apart from a river cruise, but that was exactly what we were doing, in hindsight.

I'd love to do the Orient Express one day, doubt it will happen though.

Yes, I'd love to do the real Orient Express, however the Eastern & Orient Express is run by the same company, as is the Royal Scotsman, and both were excellent. The E&OE might be possible for you if you can find cruises to get you to Singapore and back. But you'd have to do a B2B E&OE, up to Thailand and back again, or see if you could disembark in Bangkok (Laem Chabang) and get the train down to Singapore.

Yes, I'd love to do the real Orient Express, however the Eastern & Orient Express is run by the same company, as is the Royal Scotsman, and both were excellent. The E&OE might be possible for you if you can find cruises to get you to Singapore and back. But you'd have to do a B2B E&OE, up to Thailand and back again, or see if you could disembark in Bangkok (Laem Chabang) and get the train down to Singapore.

Yep the E&OE may be doable.

Or maybe I could just leave Mrs Gut at home. Wonder how that'd go down??? Suspect I know the answer to that one.

Oh my. They are all on my wish list but as you say, they are not cheap. Guess my only hope is to win the lottery.

If you had to choose just one of the journeys, which one would you go for?

:D:D:D

But seriously, although we didn't realise it at the time, since we hadn't really started cruising then apart from a river cruise, but that was exactly what we were doing, in hindsight.

LOL, I saw it as a transition.

Yep the E&OE may be doable.

Or maybe I could just leave Mrs Gut at home. Wonder how that'd go down??? Suspect I know the answer to that one.

Yep, you had better get back to work or you may have to pay for a divorce.:eek: