Cruising with someone who has allergies

Lexi'smom

Anyone with any experience cruising NCL with allergies or a loved one with allergies ..would love to hear your experiences. We are taking my daughters boyfriend on an Alaska cruise this summer and he is anaphylactic to tree nuts, peanuts and eggs. NCL has assured us that it will not be a problem, but I was just wondering what the procedure actually is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are literally dozens of threads on the topic.

NCL (and all cruise lines) is well versed in dealing with food allergies, just make sure that it is noted on his reservation, and that you tell the waiter each night to verify that they are aware of the problem. The eggs are likely to be the biggest issue.

We've been on 8 cruises with our daughter who has peanut, tree nut, green bean, green pea, chick pea and lentil allergies. If you notify NCL before your cruise, they should contact you when you board. We've always received a call or letter to our cabin the first day from an officer/director of food and beverage. They will tell you some general foods to always avoid (for example, we stay away from all cookies on board). The bread they bring in the dining room sometimes has nuts, if you tell the waiter they will bring a new basket of nut-free breads. Of course, this might not be an option with the egg allergy. If you are comfortable eating out in restaurants at home, it will be the same. When you don't feel like making a "big deal" for every meal, just stick with obviously safe foods (piece of meat, fresh fruit, etc). Most importantly, bring extra Epi-Pens and remember to not leave them baking in the sun by the pool.

We've been on 8 cruises with our daughter who has peanut, tree nut, green bean, green pea, chick pea and lentil allergies. If you notify NCL before your cruise, they should contact you when you board. We've always received a call or letter to our cabin the first day from an officer/director of food and beverage. They will tell you some general foods to always avoid (for example, we stay away from all cookies on board). The bread they bring in the dining room sometimes has nuts, if you tell the waiter they will bring a new basket of nut-free breads. Of course, this might not be an option with the egg allergy. If you are comfortable eating out in restaurants at home, it will be the same. When you don't feel like making a "big deal" for every meal, just stick with obviously safe foods (piece of meat, fresh fruit, etc). Most importantly, bring extra Epi-Pens and remember to not leave them baking in the sun by the pool.

Thanks for the information! Traveling with my 5 you in october who has a peanut allergy! Makes me feel a lot better about things...particularly since you have been 8 times on NCL -it sounds like they do a good job. Thank you.

Thanks for the information! Traveling with my 5 you in october who has a peanut allergy! Makes me feel a lot better about things...particularly since you have been 8 times on NCL -it sounds like they do a good job. Thank you.

If you use Splash Academy, they will note the allergy on the wristband. They also have you drop off the Epi Pen each time your child is there. However, there has never been an unplanned food activity there so you really don't have to worry. There is rarely any food activity there, so it's easy to avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you use Splash Academy, they will note the allergy on the wristband. They also have you drop off the Epi Pen each time your child is there. However, there has never been an unplanned food activity there so you really don't have to worry. There is rarely any food activity there, so it's easy to avoid.

I'm guessing that the daughter is old enough to bring a boyfriend along on a family trip they are both too old for Splash Academy.

Speaking as one who used to carry an Epi-Pen, I would make sure that NCL is aware of said allergies ahead of time, AND that you remind servers, etc. at every meal.

I would also ask said boyfriend what he is comfortable with in terms of discussion with servers, etc. Also, ask him what the procedures are if he does have an allergic reaction. When I first started carrying an epi, I got a "practice" device. My boss was awesome. She found out that I had a practice epi, and made every single employee come to me to practice jabbing me in the leg. Everyone in your group needs to know what to do in case some one (a server, a chef, the allergic person, etc) screws up in terms of his allergies.

I'm guessing that the daughter is old enough to bring a boyfriend along on a family trip they are both too old for Splash Academy.
:rolleyes:

The person you quoted was replying to another poster (and quoted them) who said they had a 5 year old.

My DH is allergic to almonds. When we originally booked our cruise last year I informed to agent of this. He was contacted by the special needs group and it was noted in his file. Also, anytime we went to a restaurant they commented about his allergy. There was never an issue.

Thank you so much for the extra information! Really this eases my mind a ton. Thank you!

Call the NCL Access Desk at 866-584-9756 to get a form that you should fill-out with detailed information about the allergy so that the staff of the ship can plan ahead and have everything ready when you board. From what I noticed, they have a well-designed plan to make whatever accommodations are necessary and ensure that you are able to enjoy your vacation.

My nephew has peanut and tree but allergy. It's not always perfect (i.e. confusion about what is safe results in additional restrictions), but they do a good job. You have to be diligent just like eating in any restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DS now 13 was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy when he was 15 months. We have cruised numerous times. Always filled out forms, advised maitre d, servers, kids club, carried epipens (always have more than one).

So far we have never had a problem.

Enjoy your cruise.

I cannot eat dairy and have never had a problem on NCL.

I usually don't tell anybody ahead of time but still have no problems. :-)

I honestly think it's easier to eat on a cruise than on a land based restaurant...

Ive written about my experience here which I hope will help: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/19/cruising-with-a-food-intolerance/

I've been on 9 NCL cruises :-)

Thanks all for the comments...Looking forwards to a great cruise! Truthfully I'm not so worried about the nut allergy cause I know that it is fairly common. It will be the egg one that will be more challenging I think. Extra epi pens will be a must for sure and we will make sure all in our party are aware on how to use one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

One thing that was not mentioned it that in the dining room, you can order you meals for the following day and that gives them extra time to make sure everything is allergen free without delaying you meal. I is not necessary but it makes things quicker. We always go to the dining room for lunch on the first day and set up the meal for the first evening.

• 1 month later...

Wondering (god forbid) there was an allergic event. Would the Academy staff administer the epipen? I believe they would on DCL. I'm pretty sure Celebrity and RCCL would need to call the medical staff or have the parent administer the epipen.

We sailed the Gem and had no issues with a celiac member of our party. I indicated the allergy when booking then once aboard we were introduced to Jacqueline the dietary expert. She was so helpful and knowledgeable! My mom just preordered her meal for the following night during dinner each night. They swipe your card when you arrive in the dining room so she always knew where to find us. She also was able to advise on buffet and specialty dining options that were safe.