My Breakaway Bermy Cruise - Sharing a wonderful trip!

LrgPizza

Entourage Teen Club

When the club opened at 8:00 PM the first night of the cruise, our son waved us good-bye and said, “See ya in Bermuda!” That would have made him very happy, but we required him to have at least 2 meals a day with us. I’m not exaggerating when I say he spends every single minute in Entourage that he can. He even made sure to only visit the ropes course during times the club was closed so that he didn’t miss anything. He absolutely loves the free time, the scheduled activities, the staff, the friends he makes, etc. I learned on this cruise that Entourage has many activities that get the kids out of the club moving around the ship, such as contests that resemble large hide-n-seek type games. The next time you see what appears to be a group of unsupervised kids roaming around or hustling throughout the ship, you might consider that they may be participating in an organized activity through the teen club and not merely being troublemakers. Who knew?!

I was a bit surprised that there seems to be a push to get boys and girls to couple up. I mean, this can happen on its own without them having to push it, right? For example, during the getting-to-know-you activity the first night, they went around the room one by one telling the kids to give the following 4 facts about themselves: Name, age, where they are from, and if they are single. Seriously? They also did a game show that was like the tv show The Dating Game. As the mom of a 14 year old boy, I truly had no issues, and he thought it was a lot of fun. Moms of 13 year old girls might not want their kids playing a dating game with 17 year old boys though. It just seems weird that the ship would push this.

Thanks for the info on the teen club. I've got 2 girls, 15 and one that will be 13 for about a week when we go. I know my younger one (who looks about 10 years old even though she is 13) will not be comfortable with that game. But hopefully there will be lots of other fun things they can enjoy there.

You have posted some beautiful photos of the Bermuda scenery. We have visited this lovely place eleven times in the past thirty four years .

But, I have to say, in all the time we have spent in Bermuda, we have never heard it referred to as "Bermy" !

You have posted some beautiful photos of the Bermuda scenery. We have visited this lovely place eleven times in the past thirty four years .

But, I have to say, in all the time we have spent in Bermuda, we have never heard it referred to as "Bermy" !

When I first heard it from our driver, I asked if it was a noun or adjective. (He had said, "It's a beautiful Bermy day" so it could have been either.) He said mostly used as a noun, but sometimes as an adjective. He said many locals refer to Bermuda affectionately as Bermy. I looked it up to see for myself. Ha!

I lost track of how many different coves we encountered.

Photo%20Jun%2008%209%2050%2034%20AM_zps1fytdy3k.jpg

Photo%20Jun%2008%209%2056%2017%20AM_zpsubnddees.jpg

Photo%20Jun%2008%2010%2008%2029%20AM_zpsqttzuenx.jpg

Photo%20Jun%2008%2010%2008%2035%20AM_zps1qflgt1l.jpg

Photo%20Jun%2008%2010%2008%2043%20AM_zpsc5mwc0a9.jpg

Photo%20Jun%2008%2010%2008%2048%20AM_zpsazr2lj7v.jpg

When you walked away from Horseshoe Bay toward Warwick and found all those coves, did you walk along the beach the whole time? It looks like you'd have to either climb rocks or wade in the water to get around the rocks. Or, did you walk up form the beach to the street and then back down to the beach?

Edit: Never mind. Already answered! :-)

Edited by ShelleyQT
Question was already answered

When you walked away from Horseshoe Bay toward Warwick and found all those coves, did you walk along the beach the whole time? It looks like you'd have to either climb rocks or wade in the water to get around the rocks. Or, did you walk up form the beach to the street and then back down to the beach?

Edit: Never mind. Already answered! :-)

I highly recommend making this trek! It wasn't challenging, and was some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen.

Dining

For the first time ever, we elected not to eat in any specialty restaurants this cruise. We didn’t want to deal with reservations, and we were tired of feeling like we were missing out on the great MDR menus. We had dinner in the Manhattan room 6 of 7 nights. Service was impeccable, and we never had a bad meal. I think it’s safe to say our specialty dining days are over, unless perhaps we choose it again as a promo. (If we do, we would likely use it for lunches instead of dinners at places like Margaritaville, Wasabi Sushi, and/or Pincho Tapas, depending on the ship.) The longest we had to wait for a table was 15 minutes, and that was the last night of the cruise when we requested a table near the dance floor to watch the Burn The Floor dancers at 9PM. (We got it after arriving at 8PM to make our request.)

The one night we didn’t have dinner at Manhattan Room we dined at Shanghai Noodle Bar. This was our only bad experience. The food was fine, albeit a bit bland for my taste. My husband was given a glass of water as we waited to place our order, and the server said he’d immediately return with mine. He never did. Two other times during the meal I asked for water and was never brought any. Also, my husband and I each selected 2 menu items. He was served his before me, and although he tried hard to take his time, he was completely done eating before my food even arrived. As they finally served my entrée, they cleared his bowls.

We tend to not like to waste our time eating, so we had breakfast and lunch in the buffet every single day. We never had difficulty finding seating, and we were thrilled with the choices. At breakfast, I usually got an omelet. Like usual, the omelet stations at the back of the buffet never had a line, even when the lines at the front had 8+ people. (I shouldn’t post that, because I never want it to change!) We did head up to Margaritaville once for breakfast, but when I saw no omelet stations, I went back downstairs. As others have mentioned, smoked salmon is gone from the buffet, but if you simply ask, they gladly provide you with as much as you want.

Entourage Teen Club

When the club opened at 8:00 PM the first night of the cruise, our son waved us good-bye and said, “See ya in Bermuda!” That would have made him very happy, but we required him to have at least 2 meals a day with us. I’m not exaggerating when I say he spends every single minute in Entourage that he can. He even made sure to only visit the ropes course during times the club was closed so that he didn’t miss anything. He absolutely loves the free time, the scheduled activities, the staff, the friends he makes, etc. I learned on this cruise that Entourage has many activities that get the kids out of the club moving around the ship, such as contests that resemble large hide-n-seek type games. The next time you see what appears to be a group of unsupervised kids roaming around or hustling throughout the ship, you might consider that they may be participating in an organized activity through the teen club and not merely being troublemakers. Who knew?!

I was a bit surprised that there seems to be a push to get boys and girls to couple up. I mean, this can happen on its own without them having to push it, right? For example, during the getting-to-know-you activity the first night, they went around the room one by one telling the kids to give the following 4 facts about themselves: Name, age, where they are from, and if they are single. Seriously? They also did a game show that was like the tv show The Dating Game. As the mom of a 14 year old boy, I truly had no issues, and he thought it was a lot of fun. Moms of 13 year old girls might not want their kids playing a dating game with 17 year old boys though. It just seems weird that the ship would push this.

That's just creepy feedback on Entourage. I had girls on GA 15 and 16 who were really put off by the culture. My teen thought it as all about being judged. They had awards at the end of the week for the Hottest, Best Dressed, Biggest Flirt, etc so we're encouraged that they were being "judged" all week. She found that terribly offensive! My girls are athletes who sport Nike shorts and t's during the day. They won The Great Race around the ship and enjoyed that type of competition but being judged on looks and dress on vacation had zero appeal. She wouldn't go back in December on Escape. They'd lost her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's just creepy feedback on Entourage. I had girls on GA 15 and 16 who were really put off by the culture. My teen thought it as all about being judged. They had awards at the end of the week for the Hottest, Best Dressed, Biggest Flirt, etc so we're encouraged that they were being "judged" all week. She found that terribly offensive! My girls are athletes who sport Nike shorts and t's during the day. They won The Great Race around the ship and enjoyed that type of competition but being judged on looks and dress on vacation had zero appeal. She wouldn't go back in December on Escape. They'd lost her.

My son loves it and has a blast there. But even he commented on the culture of trying to encourage hook ups. To me, it just seems so odd that it would even be a focus at all.

Thanks so much for sharing. We're considering a Bermuda cruise on the Escape next year as our family trip.
You're welcome. We're doing it again, too. We loved it so much, and didn't get to see all of the island yet.

Great review LrgPizza, it's nice to see one from you! I had honestly never thought a Bermuda cruise was something I would want to do but you have me sold! This sounds wonderful [emoji4]. Glad you had such a great time!
We generally cruise for the ships, but to cruise for the destination was something special for us. Looking forward to going again next year when we can sail for both the ship (since we love the Escape so much) AND the destination! I figure that after that, we will have Bermuda covered, and will likely move on to other things.