Women Traveling Solo

CruiseGal999

[quote name=CruiseGal999;53345815

I would have to make a guess that it's majority of the male population on this board that has taken this simple inquiry to ridiculous' date=' exaggerated lengths.[/quote]

Interesting conclusion: here the male population is ridiculing the notion that a woman had been targeted by immigration personnel just because she is a woman. It is consistent with the basic theme.

Interesting conclusion: here the male population is ridiculing the notion that a woman had been targeted by immigration personnel just because she is a woman. It is consistent with the basic theme.

I find it's the male population that is ridiculing the WOMAN who is the OP. But that's about par, I'd say.

Hmmm .... your words are quite antagonistic. I never once said I was or felt that I was targeted. I was curious WHY questions were asked repeatedly. I didn't even wonder about the questions. I KNEW why they asked, I just didn't think it necessary to ask 6 times. OR to go through my bags THOROUGHLY when all my papers were right there on the counter. But whatever .... the inquiry was .... does this happen A LOT to solo women travelers. It was NEVER why oh why did this happen to me?

I smile, too. It doesn't make a scrap of difference.

I'm a woman and I answered your question. You didn't like my answer, though.

This happened to you in 2915 and you're still bothered by it?

I often travel solo - about 50% of the time. So far, I've been to 69 countries. Sometimes I get picked for extra questioning and sometimes I don't. I don't think it has anything to do with my sex.

More men get picked than women, probably because more men travel than women.

No, it never 'bothered' me. My initial post is a simple inquiry to women who travel solo. Does this happen to them frequently. I have NEVER said that I was pissed, or upset, or targeted, or picked on. I NEVER said that. It is subsequent posters that have said all of those things.

When same questions is asked 6 different times, I just don't know what answer they want, when it's no no no no ....

LOL. The TSA in SLC was ALL my fault. I forgot my pouch inside my shirt and Xray picked it up. I had no qualms about that. You just hurry to get all your crap in those bins because there are SO many people behind you. I completely forgot my pouch. That was no big deal. I did say, after she frisked me, (UNDER my breath) "that's the most action I've seen in months!" I'm sure she wouldn't have liked THAT had she heard it! :')

I swear that some smurfs have some kind of "Spidey-sense" and just pick random people to abuse. There may be something about you that you don't realize that may just set off that "sense". You now know it could happen - just roll with it. If you have the time to play with them, ask for a supervisor and inquire why the same question was repeated even after you answered. But, asking for the supervisor can, in many instances, end up in you missing a flight. Fortunately, I have made all my flights so far ;)

Ignore some of the postings - Cruise Critic in general, and some posters in specific, are getting more caustic in postings. If you feel attacked personally from any of the postings, please make use of the "blue triangle with the ! inside" button on the top right of the postings and ask for that posting to be removed. I use it quite a bit more lately than I used to in the past...

Talk about THE slippery slope. Where people have taken this is very interesting. And the majority has determinedly implied actions and reactions that never happened. Thanks for all the feedback. It has turned into a true lesson in human nature.

Oddly enough, very few people answered the initial question. Most went into their own diatribe, creating scenarios that never took place.

First of all, the OP is NOT over reacting to ANYTHING. I am JUST asking a question. Simple as that. I am asking because it has happened to me 2x. I get and understand the questions. I don't understand why they ask the same question repeatedly. There isn't a different answer to give them. I am simply traveling alone. That means ... No husband, no mom & dad, no siblings, no BFFs, no co-workers, etc. There is simply no other answer to give. And to ask me WHY I'm traveling alone, over and over? Again, I understand the WHY question. It's just that friends didn't want to do that tour/trip, couldn't get the time off, some of them will NEVER leave the USA .... my family will NEVER leave the USA.

London was 2 years ago in 2015. Nothing going on then to make it a highly sensitive area. AGAIN .... I OFFERED to have the woman go through my bags and she opted to do so. But after showing her all of my papers, I still thought it a bit overkill.

Only happened "twice"?

Try flying internationally for business, particularly when it is often with one way tickets to either major port cities and/or third world countries.

One possibly related item why anyone might get extra scrutiny (though it would be a stretch since you really haven't described an unusual amount of screening), at least in the US, is:

Have to ever had a "live scan" law enforcement fingerprint check? If there's anything unusual in your FBI file (including errors, which are extremely common for folks who wee around before ultra-digitalization), there are times when that info will make it to CBP records.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Only happened "twice"?

Try flying internationally for business, particularly when it is often with one way tickets to either major port cities and/or third world countries.

One possibly related item why anyone might get extra scrutiny (though it would be a stretch since you really haven't described an unusual amount of screening), at least in the US, is:

Have to ever had a "live scan" law enforcement fingerprint check? If there's anything unusual in your FBI file (including errors, which are extremely common for folks who wee around before ultra-digitalization), there are times when that info will make it to CBP records.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm pretty squeaky clean. I worked at a police dept. WAY back when I was in high school. I was a licensed foster parent in Idaho and a Big Sister in SLC. I've had job offers where they say "our background check will take 5 days so you can start in a week". Then I get a call in a 2 days with "ah ... your background check is done .... squeaky clean ... do you want to start tomorrow?" I have had a speeding ticket. :D