Women Traveling Solo

CruiseGal999

That'd be me ... nervous and verbal stumbling. I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to going through any kind of official checkpoint when traveling. I know it. I'm noticed as anxious or overwrought or pale&sweating.... and it goes down hill from there.

Then, you have answered your own question. "anxious or overwrought or pale&sweating" are certain markers for someone up to no good.

Some hand lotions contain glycerin and that sets off the detectors. Save your hand lotion application until after security.

I travel solo and never have an issue with Customs.

Good to know. Rarely use lotion. I've been swabbed way just waiting in line, before even getting to any machines.

Be assured .... The OP has NOTHING to hide. I have ALWAYS been polite, calm, answered any/all questions. Was really just wondering why they kept asking the same question again and again. As for London, I was completely cooperative, it was even my offer to open my cases. I just thought it was a little much after I had shown her all my papers. Was very glad I was flying out of Heathrow the next day and it didn't matter what time I got onto the train to London.

As a solo female traveler, I've had extra swabs and bag checks before and after I got Global Entry. I, too, have half my family in the U.K. And have made, on average, one trip per year, except for the years that my mom and stepdad died, then multiple trips were made. I have also been to South America on a cruise and around the Baltics as well as a lot of non-cruise travel.

I don't receive extra questioning, even though my passport has all the stamps.

FYI, some hand sanitizer will show up positive for glycerin too. As the other poster mentioned, be sure to apply any lotions or hand sanitizer or perfumes after you go thru security.

I remove all jewelry, except for two very small hoops in my ears, everything goes in carry on properly stored and zipped. My bag of cords and chargers got dinged and they had to go thru everything because the battery was unusual via the X-ray. My x-stitch sometimes also gets dinged.

And, for the U.K. and the USA, security will be enhanced without advanced notification based on what is learned by GCHQ and NSA and CIA and any other spy agency.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never seen customs officers at any London railway station. Were you on Eurostar? That's the only station that would have immigration officers. I got stopped by customs officers once after landing at London Gatwick. I may have looked slightly suspicious as I was rushing - I had a train to catch to get home!

Some hand lotions contain glycerin and that sets off the detectors. Save your hand lotion application until after security.

I travel solo and never have an issue with Customs.

That's interesting, I've never heard that before. I have very dry hands from work, and use had creams daily, I will remember to wash hands and wipe down travel bags before I go next time 🤔😊

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I've never seen customs officers at any London railway station. Were you on Eurostar? That's the only station that would have immigration officers. I got stopped by customs officers once after landing at London Gatwick. I may have looked slightly suspicious as I was rushing - I had a train to catch to get home!

It was the train station in Paris to get on the "chunnel" (I've seen that said before) back to London. So I said London, because of the immigration for me to pass from Paris to 'London' side of the station.

Flew into IAH from LHR this past Tuesday. I have Global Entry. There were 2 officers taking the forms printed at the kiosk. While waiting (about #5 in line) I noticed that one was asking questions and the other wasn't. I got the question guy, but it was just a result of the speed that the line was moving, not that I was a single female traveler. :D

Then, you have answered your own question. "anxious or overwrought or pale&sweating" are certain markers for someone up to no good.

I guess you didn't see my first post about this:

I get hassled going through Security because travel makes me anxious. Those people are trained to read body language. They can tell I am ANXIOUS. I've had more pat-downs, x-rays, and extended interviews than you would believe (unless you are my husband, who has gotten to witness some of them....) I don't talk back, I do my best to follow directions, but still.... at least 50% of the time I get the full treatment. Sometimes when I am solo, sometimes when I have DH with me.

Not sure where you saw any "question" from me that needed answering.

I can assure you carrying death certificates has nothing to do with going through passport control nor customs. If you are chosen by random selection - so be it. Just go with the flow

Travelling solo had nothing to do with how you are treated IMO. I have travelled as a solo and a couple and see no difference.

You fully missed my point.,

I proba bly have gone through various customs s in a selection of countries, including yours and mine a total of at least 100 +times. Your post must have been a joke. :). Surely you are aware of those of us on this B oard who have done a great deal of, foreign and domestic.travel. You must have forgotten meeting me and DH and our lengthy conversation about our and your travels.

My reference to death cetificates for my whole family, relates to the comment made above about being asked why the solo female was not Traveling with family. Hope this clears up your confusion. . : :rolleyes:

f

There is a reality television show in the USA about US Customs. It actually follows US CBP officials in their day to day work. I recall one of the shows where they were "busting" quite a few single women entering the USA.....from South and Central American countries. It seems that several of the major drug cartels were using single women (of all ages) as "mules" to carry drugs. It was kind of shocking to watch...and a few of these women were even carrying babies.

Hank

There is a reality television show in the USA about US Customs. It actually follows US CBP officials in their day to day work. I recall one of the shows where they were "busting" quite a few single women entering the USA.....from South and Central American countries. It seems that several of the major drug cartels were using single women (of all ages) as "mules" to carry drugs. It was kind of shocking to watch...and a few of these women were even carrying babies.

Hank

"Shocking"? "Even carrying babies"?

Of course no drug mule would be so unethical as to use her baby as part of her "innocent traveler" persona.

Somewhat along the lines of the heartless agents who picked on a mobility-challenged individual by examining his wheel chair. Sure, they did find cocaine in the back and seat pads - but, come on: they guy was handicapped - give him a break!

"Shocking"? "Even carrying babies"?

Of course no drug mule would be so unethical as to use her baby as part of her "innocent traveler" persona.

Somewhat along the lines of the heartless agents who picked on a mobility-challenged individual by examining his wheel chair. Sure, they did find cocaine in the back and seat pads - but, come on: they guy was handicapped - give him a break!

Excellent post. Yes, yes, yes and yes..... I have see such situations on National Geogreaphic channel. they show the mules and the tricks they try.

Edited by sail7seas

I think the OP is over-reacting to what happened to her.

She passed through passport control/immigration (not customs) in two particularly sensitive situations.

First - the US/Cuba travel situation is relatively new and it's not unreasonable for checks to be vigilant.

Second - London and the UK have recently been victims of terrorist activity. Of course, they will be checking immigrants carefully.

I've traveled a lot, both solo and with my husband. Sometimes you get picked for extra questioning, sometimes you don't. Accept it as an occasional inconvenience and try not to take it personally. Just allow extra time for the process.

I think the OP is over-reacting to what happened to her.

She passed through passport control/immigration (not customs) in two particularly sensitive situations.

First - the US/Cuba travel situation is relatively new and it's not unreasonable for checks to be vigilant.

Second - London and the UK have recently been victims of terrorist activity. Of course, they will be checking immigrants carefully.

I've traveled a lot, both solo and with my husband. Sometimes you get picked for extra questioning, sometimes you don't. Accept it as an occasional inconvenience and try not to take it personally. Just allow extra time for the process.

First of all, the OP is NOT over reacting to ANYTHING. I am JUST asking a question. Simple as that. I am asking because it has happened to me 2x. I get and understand the questions. I don't understand why they ask the same question repeatedly. There isn't a different answer to give them. I am simply traveling alone. That means ... No husband, no mom & dad, no siblings, no BFFs, no co-workers, etc. There is simply no other answer to give. And to ask me WHY I'm traveling alone, over and over? Again, I understand the WHY question. It's just that friends didn't want to do that tour/trip, couldn't get the time off, some of them will NEVER leave the USA .... my family will NEVER leave the USA.

London was 2 years ago in 2015. Nothing going on then to make it a highly sensitive area. AGAIN .... I OFFERED to have the woman go through my bags and she opted to do so. But after showing her all of my papers, I still thought it a bit overkill.

First of all, the OP is NOT over reacting to ANYTHING. I am JUST asking a question. Simple as that. I am asking because it has happened to me 2x. I get and understand the questions. I don't understand why they ask the same question repeatedly. There isn't a different answer to give them. I am simply traveling alone. That means ... No husband, no mom & dad, no siblings, no BFFs, no co-workers, etc. There is simply no other answer to give. And to ask me WHY I'm traveling alone, over and over? Again, I understand the WHY question. It's just that friends didn't want to do that tour/trip, couldn't get the time off, some of them will NEVER leave the USA .... my family will NEVER leave the USA.

London was 2 years ago in 2015. Nothing going on then to make it a highly sensitive area. AGAIN .... I OFFERED to have the woman go through my bags and she opted to do so. But after showing her all of my papers, I still thought it a bit overkill.

Wasn't it 2015 when huge numbers of refugees began crossing through Europe? :confused:

Also -- they ask you the same question multiple times to see if you are lying -- if you trip up and answer it two different ways, if you get nervous and forget what you already said, etc. (Have you never watched a police show?)

I think it's been made pretty clear that most of us women solo travelers do not feel we have been singled out for special treatment.

There are a few potential explanations:

A) You are simply consistently unlucky - which can happen, but would appear unlikely.

B) There is a conspiracy among immigration personnel to make your life difficult (also unlikely).

C) There is something in your mannerisms which triggers a higher level of caution on the part of immigration personnel (possibly not as unlikely).

D) You simply do not like being questioned (similarly not as unlikely).

Well ... the ONE thing I have read here ... which would NEVER have occurred to me is that I DO smile. I have a big, wide smile. You can see all of my teeth. I smile because I am on vacation. Or as in Miami, I am coming off of a cruise ship that was just in CUBA .... that is a huge deal for me! I go up to the booths and smile. If that is the trigger .... then that's it.

I don't argue. I don't hum, haw, hesitate. I answer the questions. I am calm. I have not once complained about this. I have not once said "poor me .... I must be being targeted". I have only asked a simple question. I was interested in hearing from women solo travelers and their experience with this.

I would have to make a guess that it's majority of the male population on this board that has taken this simple inquiry to ridiculous, exaggerated lengths.

OP - I saw you mentioned TSA at SLC. There are a few choice smurfs working there. Global Entry was worth it just for this airport, coming and going. Yep, I never smile. I just maintain a neutral face or look like I just woke up (frequently the case when I take the early AM flights out of SLC).

Just don't show any enthusiasm - they aren't happy at their jobs and they may not like to see so many happy faces ;)

Well ... the ONE thing I have read here ... which would NEVER have occurred to me is that I DO smile.. . . . . . .

I would have to make a guess that it's majority of the male population on this board that has taken this simple inquiry to ridiculous, exaggerated lengths.

I smile, too. It doesn't make a scrap of difference.

I'm a woman and I answered your question. You didn't like my answer, though.

This happened to you in 2915 and you're still bothered by it?

I often travel solo - about 50% of the time. So far, I've been to 69 countries. Sometimes I get picked for extra questioning and sometimes I don't. I don't think it has anything to do with my sex.

More men get picked than women, probably because more men travel than women.

OP - I saw you mentioned TSA at SLC. There are a few choice smurfs working there. Global Entry was worth it just for this airport, coming and going. Yep, I never smile. I just maintain a neutral face or look like I just woke up (frequently the case when I take the early AM flights out of SLC).

Just don't show any enthusiasm - they aren't happy at their jobs and they may not like to see so many happy faces ;)

LOL. The TSA in SLC was ALL my fault. I forgot my pouch inside my shirt and Xray picked it up. I had no qualms about that. You just hurry to get all your crap in those bins because there are SO many people behind you. I completely forgot my pouch. That was no big deal. I did say, after she frisked me, (UNDER my breath) "that's the most action I've seen in months!" I'm sure she wouldn't have liked THAT had she heard it! :')

I have traveled solo a lot since my husband died and I have been searched and patted down so much I am sure they have my bra size on record .

Hahahahaha. LOVE your sense of humor. :'):'):') My husband almost ALWAYS gets pulled aside. It is to the point that we just laugh about it. (after the fact, of course). :cool: