Budapest baths

Mr.Sunshine

Yes, you could probably do it for less, but it was convenient to go with the Viking group since I didn't know the language and couldn't read the signs. The guide helped us with getting into lockers, etc. Quite the experience...mostly young people and families with children there the day we were there. We found the outside pools more pleasant as the sulfur smell got strong indoors. It was an iconic experience and I'll glad I did it but would not go for a repeat trip as it just didn't seem as clean as I would like. I think that may just be the water as dressing rooms were quite clean.

We just returned from a Viking river cruise. We opted to do the visit to the Szechenyi baths through Viking, and enjoyed the excursion. We were told that they used Szechenyi rather than Gellert since Gellert has more steps. A guide provided helpful info on how to use the locker and entry system, which was helpful. It was also nice to not have to think about finding transportation to and from the baths, so we appreciated the convenience. Viking provides a bag with a towel, bathrobe, slippers and bathing cap. You will need the bathing cap if you want to do laps in the (very nice) lap pool. If I was to do it again, I would do it on my own, bring my own sandals or flip flops, since the slippers Viking provides are worse than useless, and the bathrobe is not necessary. I would also bring my own swimming cap so I could fully enjoy the lap pool. Even though the Viking arranged excursion is convenient, it is not necessary to do this through the ship, and you probably you will save money by taking a taxi and doing it on your own.

We did the baths on our own. It was the perfect first afternoon (after an overnight flight)....sunlight, warm water, not too much thinking required!

We did the baths on our own. It was the perfect first afternoon (after an overnight flight)....sunlight, warm water, not too much thinking required!

Thanks everybody!

My DH and I are going on our owne around July 21st.

We would like to know if there are lockers and if you need to bring a cadenas. Did you have to pay in local money or did you used your credit card !

Thanks in advance !

I cant wait !

Edited by mom_suzanne
typosssss

Thanks everybody!

My DH and I are going on our owne around July 21st.

We would like to know if there are lockers and if you need to bring a cadenas. Did you have to pay in local money or did you used your credit card !

Thanks in advance !

I cant wait !

We wore our swim suits under our clothes. You can get a locker or a private "cabin". Locks are provided and towels. We had a locker for our stuff. Used toilet stall afterwards to change into clothes. Separate men and women's locker areas. Different indoor pools with different mineral content and temperature. Don't miss the outdoor pool with the circular area. When the jets come in you can float around and around with the current.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We wore our swim suits under our clothes. You can get a locker or a private "cabin". Locks are provided and towels. We had a locker for our stuff. Used toilet stall afterwards to change into clothes. Separate men and women's locker areas. Different indoor pools with different mineral content and temperature. Don't miss the outdoor pool with the circular area. When the jets come in you can float around and around with the current.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks Nancy for information!

I am sure we will enjoy it!

:)

The Szechenyi baths do take credit cards. When you walk in you will encounter some women that will try to sell you various packages that include a tour of the facility. The layout is not the easiest to understand the first time there. You can go to the sales booth for cheaper admission.

There is a subway station (line 1, yellow line) right behind the building so easy to get to.

The Szechenyi baths do take credit cards. When you walk in you will encounter some women that will try to sell you various packages that include a tour of the facility. The layout is not the easiest to understand the first time there. You can go to the sales booth for cheaper admission.

There is a subway station (line 1, yellow line) right behind the building so easy to get to.

Thanks RDC1!!! We will pay with my credit card ! We will walk it’´s about 2 km from our hotel !

I cannot wait !

Thanks for the link ! I got the French one and it's not so detailed😊

When we were there (two weeks ago) the exchange rate was 277 to $1.

The cabins (changing rooms) were worth the small added expense to provide both a place to change and a secure place to leave thing.

Which hotel are you at? An all day ticket for tram/bus/subway is only about $4 and is well worth it.

When we were there (two weeks ago) the exchange rate was 277 to $1.

The cabins (changing rooms) were worth the small added expense to provide both a place to change and a secure place to leave thing.

Which hotel are you at? An all day ticket for tram/bus/subway is only about $4 and is well worth it.

Hi , we will be at the Hilton on Vaci 1-3, not far from the bath Széchenyi 😂

Hi , we will be at the Hilton on Vaci 1-3, not far from the bath Széchenyi ��

That is the same hotel we stayed at. At the end of the train station you can catch a tram( 4 or 6) to Andrassy where the Oktogon metro station is . We walked to the park where the baths are the first time. After that we took the subway and tram going back and forth.

You can take tram 4 or 6 to the stop just before the river and catch tram 2 which goes all along the river and near the main tourist areas.

Edited by RDC1

That is the same hotel we stayed at. At the end of the train station you can catch a tram( 4 or 6) to Andrassy where the Oktogon metro station is . We walked to the park where the baths are the first time. After that we took the subway and tram going back and forth.

You can take tram 4 or 6 to the stop just before the river and catch tram 2 which goes all along the river and near the main tourist areas.

Thanks! Anny suggestion for the meals ? Any good restaurant ?

Thanks! Anny suggestion for the meals ? Any good restaurant ?

Not around the hotel itself. There is a restaurant down along the river between the Intercontinental and the Marriott called Dunacorso that we really enjoyed. It is right next to a stop for tram 2, so easy to get back to the hotel after dinner.

Not around the hotel itself. There is a restaurant down along the river between the Intercontinental and the Marriott called Dunacorso that we really enjoyed. It is right next to a stop for tram 2, so easy to get back to the hotel after dinner.

Thanks! We'll be there in a week ! Cant wait !

Thanks! We'll be there in a week ! Cant wait !

The menu for Dunacorso looks great - thank you RDC1:

http://www.dunacorso.hu/en/etlap-2017/mobile/index.html#p=8

Suzanne - if you like your desserts, do not miss Gerbaud, both for the setting and its offerings (just a few steps from Dunacorso):

http://www.gerbeaud.hue/

Also the very colorful Central Market Hall:

https://www.budapestbylocals.com/great-market-hall.html

And of course the Parliament:

http://www.parlament.hu/en/web/house-of-the-national-assembly

Enjoy!

Edited by Paulchili

The menu for Dunacorso looks great - thank you RDC1:

http://www.dunacorso.hu/en/etlap-2017/mobile/index.html#p=8

Suzanne - if you like your desserts, do not miss Gerbaud, both for the setting and its offerings (just a few steps from Dunacorso):

http://www.gerbeaud.hue/

Also the very colorful Central Market Hall:

https://www.budapestbylocals.com/great-market-hall.html

And of course the Parliament:

http://www.parlament.hu/en/web/house-of-the-national-assembly

Enjoy!

The Central Market was interesting, but gets very crowded. The restaurant booths are upstairs with very narrow walk ways. In my opinion much too crowded to be enjoyable eating there.

The Central Market was interesting, but gets very crowded. The restaurant booths are upstairs with very narrow walk ways. In my opinion much too crowded to be enjoyable eating there.

Agreed - the market is not a "dining destination" - although good for a quick ethnic snack. It's more for the overall atmosphere and local flavor as well as some souvenirs upstairs.

Personally, I love the Hungarian sausages of which there is an endless selection in the Hall.

Agreed - the market is not a "dining destination" - although good for a quick ethnic snack. It's more for the overall atmosphere and local flavor as well as some souvenirs upstairs.

Personally, I love the Hungarian sausages of which there is an endless selection in the Hall.

Thanks everybody !