LIVE from GRANDEUR of the Seas - July 8, 2017

Thanks York. It left like I was on board with you every step of the way. I am sitting in my office patiently waiting on my turn. August 10th just can't get here fast enough. Who is sailing with me?

I am!!!!!!! Can't wait!!!!!!!

c77f5bf8a53268957b7dc1aca625be34.jpg

Glad to see that they are offering this tour - was there a charge? My hubby and I did the backstage tour on GOS on our Honeymoon in July of 2009, and haven't seen it offered again since then! I have many similar pictures to those you posted, but I'm glad to see they've at least reprinted the song orders since we were there in 2009 (see attached photo!) Was the tour listed on the Compass?

100_1016.JPG.88bc7c33948500ca9e283eff779019c8.JPG

Honestly, I am an avid cruiser and the Grandeur is one of my favorite ships. She may be old, but she doesnt show it and the food and service were second to none! I'd go again and again!

Whoops, I think you meant to click on a live Harmony or Anthem thread and not this review from a 21-year-old grimy Grandeur gondola. Silly you. Nobody sails on the little 'ol Vision class anymore, let alone does a live review from one. Do they even have wifi or electricity on the older vessels?

If you haven't left yet then I assume you are as crackbrained as we are and have a sick fetish for dodging shower curtains on pre-Titanic era cruise ships. If that's the case then stay tuned because we are about to party like it's 1996.

Here's the #1 hit of 1996 to get you fired up:

QdmxN23_UFM?start=31

I kinda think that the girls in the Macarena video look just a tad bit better than the average cruise crowd doing the same dance on the pool deck after a big Windjammer lunch.

Glad to see that they are offering this tour - was there a charge? My hubby and I did the backstage tour on GOS on our Honeymoon in July of 2009, and haven't seen it offered again since then! I have many similar pictures to those you posted, but I'm glad to see they've at least reprinted the song orders since we were there in 2009 (see attached photo!) Was the tour listed on the Compass?

The concierge in the DL gave us the invite. No charge. I didn't see it on the compass.

Honestly, I am an avid cruiser and the Grandeur is one of my favorite ships. She may be old, but she doesnt show it and the food and service were second to none! I'd go again and again!

It's one of my favorites as well and I hope to sail on her many more times.

Pretty much anything negative that I said about the ship was either sarcasm or a joke.

So many people here are fans of the Grandeur. Can anyone comment on how quickly you can get through customs, assuming we do carry our own bags? My daughter has to make her way to work in Brooklyn via Amtrak on the morning of our disembarkation and I am wondering what train I should book for her. And if anyone can comment on travel time to the nearest Amtrak stop, that would be great too!

Easiest Amtrak stop would probably be the BWI station (the one in Baltimore would have s lot of traffic - BWI is maybe 15 minutes away to the south). As for getting off the ship, it should be relatively quick if you're carrying your own luggage. The only unknowns are any delays at the port due to weather, customs, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks ConeyRaven. I believe heading to BWI will add an additional 45 min to her travel time given that it is in the "wrong" direction. I thought I had read in one review, anyway, that getting thru customs in Baltimore took an inordinately long amount of time. Was hoping that was not the norm.

Thanks ConeyRaven. I believe heading to BWI will add an additional 45 min to her travel time given that it is in the "wrong" direction. I thought I had read in one review, anyway, that getting thru customs in Baltimore took an inordinately long amount of time. Was hoping that was not the norm.

We always get a porter, it's worth the money we tip him to get through customs quicker. When we disembarked last year it took about 1/2 an hour through customs with a porter. The non porter line was about an hour. Maybe you can ask to be in the first group that gets off?

Laurie

We just got off Grandeur in Baltimore last week. Luggage pick up and porters were after we went through customs. From the time our number was called, we did not do self disembark, to getting through customs to out luggage, was maybe 20 minutes.

I agree with going to Penn station. The road to the BWI can be crazy. Being she'll be going into New York Penn, I would imagine she would need a really early train. Coming out of DC, delays are normal.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.5 HD using Forums mobile app

I guarantee, if it's a weekday and you're going to try to go through downtown and up Charles St to Penn Station in the height of rush hour, you'll be wishing you went to BWI. Think about it, most traffic is headed north into the city, your heading south. Parking is so much easier at BWI.

Thank you, Tim, for a very enjoyable review. Had a few laughs, which are always priceless :D

Looking forward to Andrew's and yours review of Harmony in September.

By then, I hope to be after the Vision "foliage" cruise, and it will help alleviate post-cruise blues ;p

So many people here are fans of the Grandeur. Can anyone comment on how quickly you can get through customs, assuming we do carry our own bags? My daughter has to make her way to work in Brooklyn via Amtrak on the morning of our disembarkation and I am wondering what train I should book for her. And if anyone can comment on travel time to the nearest Amtrak stop, that would be great too!

We never request an early disembarkation time, but last Grandeur cruise we were given one. I just noticed in my journal that when we walked into the terminal, there were only 3 or 4 people ahead of us, so it was very quick and easy. Leaving later, it could be as much as 20 minutes. Much easier and quicker than Fort Lauderdale or Miami!