Cruise Care

rngoofy

Once on Royal... cruiseline ins....emergency gallbladder a few days before sailing. Everything reimbursed except the cost of the ins...we had SW Air so took a future credit for that

Another time with pvt trvl ins on Princess,...family member diagnosed with serious illness.. policy .included airfare, cruise fare and cruise line excursions... cruise fare was reimbursed, and one pvt excursion that would not refund pre paid charges We took a loss on airfare with Virgin,..so many fees not refundable or covered, The airline was awful to work with ,,..

Cancelled at 32 days due to the death of the friend I was suppose to travel with on the cruise. Full refund from insurance company. In addition, the FLL hotel where we planned to stay before the cruise and United Airlines, both of which were non-refundable, credited my credit card in full when they learned of the unfortunate circumstances. There still are good people on earth.

Once on Royal... cruiseline ins....emergency gallbladder a few days before sailing. Everything reimbursed except the cost of the ins...we had SW Air so took a future credit for that

Another time with pvt trvl ins on Princess,...family member diagnosed with serious illness.. policy .included airfare, cruise fare and cruise line excursions... cruise fare was reimbursed, and one pvt excursion that would not refund pre paid charges We took a loss on airfare with Virgin,..so many fees not refundable or covered, The airline was awful to work with ,,..

Was it Virgin Atlantic? Just curious as we are considering it on our next cruise.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

I am also curious about the "Virgin" comment. We have First Class tickets to Australia on Virgin Australia (booked through Delta.) Since you indicated that your insurance was private, and you insured your airfare with them, shouldn't the insurance company have paid in full for the air?

We are struggling whether we should include the air with the CSA insurance policy that we will purchase. Should we include the full amount of air (REALLY drives the insurance cost up), only the "change fees", or based on your experience... none at all?

OP - Hope everything is alright. ;)

PROCRUISE - Sorry about the death of your friend and for missing your cruise. :(

Full refund of cruise fare, co pay for medical expenses; partial reimbursement of additional hotel for me and cab fare to the hospital and rebooking flights on United when my DH was admitted to the hospital in San Diego as the ship was pulling out from port.

Was it Virgin Atlantic? Just curious as we are considering it on our next cruise.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

..British Virgin,.???. It was the first time we had not booked with DELTA which we prefer but. they were much cheaper,,,Deduction of airport and gov fees seems standard and then you submit to the ins,,,....Memory fades ... it was abt 5 yrs ago.,,,.

The frustrating part with the airline was time diff for contacting them,,,and fact they were very impersonal via e mail..,no real human contact or compassion...and they took their sweet time,,,so I guess maybe we waited on their meager refund to put in for the fees with the insurer...

It was a very sad time for us but our rel pulled thru,,Princess cruise line was wonderful but final payment date had passed,,,

Nowadays, we buy the ships ins and back it up with a pvt policy that also covers med and med evac,,.esp now that we are both on Medicare...( no overseas coverage)

Edited by hcat

I have used my travel insurance once for a land based vacation and was reimbursed for everything except, of course, the cost of the insurance. I canceled one week before my cruise for emergency surgery... so there was no question as to whether or not they would cover it.

With that being said, I have purchased travel insurance on every cruise, mostly directly from the cruiseline. I booked my flights using ChoiceAir on my upcoming cruise and the insurance needs to be purchased prior to booking the air. When that is done, both the airfare and the cruise is covered for medical reasons ... and how it was explained to me for the air is that is it is covered for medical reasons or death. Not meaning to be morbid but they kept repeating that to me. Since I've never had to cancel a cruise, almost came close but ended up going, I am not sure what a fight it would have been. That one time I came close, I was in the ER just hours before my cruise and even had a doctor's note. I called the insurance company and they said, just don't show up and send a claim to them with my doctor's note and they didn't believe there would be any issues. Well, I did feel better by the time of my flight ... so I went. But don't think there would have been an issue getting a refund on that vacation either.

Full refund of cruise fare, co pay for medical expenses; partial reimbursement of additional hotel for me and cab fare to the hospital and rebooking flights on United when my DH was admitted to the hospital in San Diego as the ship was pulling out from port.

Hope all is well now,...

I usually buy private insurance as it is less expensive and I get better coverage. I have used it 4 times, once a death in family 2 days prior to sailing, once, a fall in Mexico, once an injury 2 weeks before sailing, and lastly 1 year ago today, my SIL had a heart attack after landing in Seattle 2 days prior to the cruise. I have been reimbursed for all trips, my SIL was covered for his deductible for the hospital and all expenses even to change his air. I don't travel without insurance.

Hope all is well now,...

Yes, thanks. This was in 2012 and it was to be my retirement cruise to Hawaii and back. Disappointed that Celebrity no longer has this itinerary. To make up for it we booked a New Years cruise in a suite and have never looked back.:D

We had to cancel our March cruise two days before we were supposed to sail. Our son, who was supposed to travel with us, was hospitalized with a life threatening illness. We were fully reimbursed within thirty days of submitting the forms, which were simple to fill out.

We didn't purchase air fare through choice air, but the airline was also generous. They gave us credit minus a $75 processing fee. We have to use the credit within a year or forfeit it. No problem. We are booked for November.

Marelaine - Sorry you missed your cruise, and hope that your son is now okay.

ebtrip - WOW!!! You have been lucky, or should I say unlucky (with trying to take cruises.)

Question for the both of you...Curious if you had insured your air?

I also had to cancel our April, 2017 Transatlantic on Reflection due to emergency unsuccessful kidney stone surgery 10 days before our cruise. The 2nd surgery solved the problem. I had Cruise Care, and everything was reimbursed except the cost of the insurance. We had United for our air to Ft Lauderdale, and they gave a full refund with no questions or documentation, which surprised me because that portion was not insured. (Perhaps since it happened just after their negative publicity for pulling a passenger off the plane in Chicago, they were quite cooperative--don't know).

We had Choice Air for our flight home from Rome, and it said it was non-refundable. However, they charged us a $300/person cancellation fee, and Choice Care reimbursed the rest plus the full cost of the cruise.

In the event everything is not reimbursed, most credit cards have travel insurance, but it is excess to all other coverages. You must go through the process with Cruise Care first. The key to any insurance reimbursement is to have full documentation. (I worked in Insurance 36 years)

Marelaine - Sorry you missed your cruise, and hope that your son is now okay.

ebtrip - WOW!!! You have been lucky, or should I say unlucky (with trying to take cruises.)

Question for the both of you...Curious if you had insured your air?

My air was with points, so air was not included. For my kids, i take insurance when I pay for their cruises and their air was insured.

As for being unlucky, we travel 3 to 4 x's a year, have over 40 cruises under our belt, plus many tours and land vacations, so I guess we are pretty lucky. I'm now booked into 2019, but I'm sure we will be adding some other vacations in between the 3 trips now booked.

My daughter, two grandies and myself booked for a cruise, both grandies were diagnosed with strep throat 4 days before our cruise. Canceled pvt ins and had all our money...minus cost of ins of course within 2 weeks. Extremely pleased. I always use the same company.