Cunard Queen Victoria Review - Greek Isles July 2017

SonofTertius

5/ The new alfresco dining didn't seem to work either, it took the couple next to us almost a fortnight to be able to eat there, as there was not enough take-up in interest, most likely due to the cost,

Are you saying they tried to book, but because not enough people booked a table on any give evening, their booking was cancelled ? (I'm not commenting, I'm just asking).

8/ The snobbery level surprised us, given that the ship was sailing the Med and, that, apart from the two upper tiers of suites, which had their own decks, so we never saw them (proper Titanic stuff) most of them were in the same level as us (balcony) or lower.

That sounds interesting, but I don't quite understand what you are saying. "never saw them" - whom did you never see ?

Are you saying they tried to book, but because not enough people booked a table on any give evening, their booking was cancelled ? (I'm not commenting, I'm just asking).

Yes. This is what they told us. Not enough people.

That sounds interesting, but I don't quite understand what you are saying. "never saw them" - whom did you never see ?

The people in the Princess and Queens grill suites, who had their own decks on the ship which, to my understanding, included everything they needed (pool, dining room etc) to never have to set foot on lower decks. If I am wrong, then I stand corrected, but we talked to a lot of people during the two weeks, in all areas of the ship, and we never met anyone from either of those classes.

Think I am maybe wrong on them having a separate pool, but it is fairly self-contained area for Grills passengers.

Edited by nellydean

Yes. This is what they told us. Not enough people.

Now that is disgraceful behaviour on Cunard's part.

Imagine if at home you'd booked a table in a restaurant and they cancelled your table because not many people had booked that evening ? They would be bust in no time.

But this is typical Cunard; everything is "for their convenience" and not that of the paying customer.

Edited by ToadOfToadHall

The people in the Princess and Queens grill suites, who had their own decks on the ship which, to my understanding, included everything they needed (pool, dining room etc) to never have to set foot on lower decks. If I am wrong, then I stand corrected, but we talked to a lot of people during the two weeks, in all areas of the ship, and we never met anyone from either of those classes.

Think I am maybe wrong on them having a separate pool, but it is fairly self-contained area for Grills passengers.

Grill passengers dine in their own restaurants but otherwise they will go to the same talks, shows, bars and activities as the rest of the ship. You probably did meet them without realising.

There is a small terrace area but no pool.

If I am wrong, then I stand corrected, but we talked to a lot of people during the two weeks, in all areas of the ship, and we never met anyone from either of those classes.

But how would you know ?

They don't have wear a badge with "Grills" on it !

And why would anyone say to you "Hello, I'm in the Grills" ? And equally, I assume you never asked them ? (or maybe you did ?)

But how would you know ?

And why would anyone say to you "Hello, I'm in the Grills" ? And equally, I assume you never asked them ? (or maybe you did ?)

One of the things I like is that you meet people in all categories and don't know unless they tell you (which few people do) or invite you to a cocktail part in their suite. Apart from evening dining no-one can tell whether you are in a penthouse suite or an inside cabin.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Do you honestly expect passengers you might meet onboard to tell you, unasked, where their cabins are, be they in a deck 1 inside to deck 6 Grand Suite? It's not relevant.

I have met many people over the years and the only way I would know they're in the Grills is if I see them in the Grills lounge, and Queen's Grill specifically, because I see them in the restaurant. Other than that, as has been said, it is impossible to know apart from seeing if the cruise card is used to access decks 11 and 12.

I have no idea what you class as snobbery, or what you mean by it. I'd be interested to know because I don't think I've come across any on-board.

Grill passengers dine in their own restaurants but otherwise they will go to the same talks, shows, bars and activities as the rest of the ship. You probably did meet them without realising.

There is a small terrace area but no pool.

Yes, we probably did, without realising, but nobody we conversed with at any length was staying in one of those Grill suites. The point I was trying to make was that the snobbery element we encountered was not so much from those people, which you might expect, but from passengers in balcony, OV and inside cabins. The social climbers, rather than the ones already at the top who, in my experience, generally have too much class to boast about themselves.

But how would you know ?

Because almost everyone without exception that we had a conversation with asked which deck we are on and what kind of cabin we were in! I was happy to say, but my husband found it a bit tasteless.

Exactly Mr Toad. We tried as well but we're told the al fresco (dinner on the pool deck aft of the ships) service wasn't available due to a lack of interest. Nelly I can't remember exactly and correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the 'cover charge' $35.00 pp?

But how would you know ?

Oh you'd be surprised. If they are in the Grills, they make a point of telling you this very early on in the conversation. They also emphasise that they have been on copious amounts of voyages with Cunard - apparently it's an invisible badge of honour. That said, it's unfair to box them all - it's only SOME of them.

Edited by SonofTertius

:')

I feel sorry for the company you will be cruising with, Cunard can not be that bad, they have a lot of sold out cruises.:')

Their advertising is amazing.

If the brand/company values me as a customer, they have nothing to worry about. It's one of the simplest rules of business.

Edited by SonofTertius

Exactly Mr Toad. We tried as well but we're told the al fresco (dinner on the pool deck aft of the ships) service wasn't available due to a lack of interest. Nelly I can't remember exactly and correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the 'cover charge' $35.00 pp?

I thought it was 17.50 but, even at that rate, people obviously didn't think it worth it.

The couple next to us were on the ship for three weeks. I can't remember if they had tried for the first week before we boarded, but it became a running joke with us - and the maitre d of al fresco, whether they would get to dine up there at all - they made it with just a couple of days left, and there were still only 7 of them dining. A very exclusive club, by all accounts!

Joking aside, it's a pity, as no doubt it's a lovely area and I was tempted myself until I heard about the general lack of interest, which wouldn't make for a very good atmosphere. Could be a problem for Cunard, as they've obviously invested money into turning this into an alternative dining area.

Edited by nellydean

Oh you'd be surprised. If they are in the Grills, they make a point of telling you this very early on in the conversation. They also emphasise that they have been on copious amounts of voyages with Cunard - apparently it's an invisible badge of honour.

Well, like I said, I don't know if I even met anyone from Grills, but we found passengers in Britannia loved to boast just as much. We've cruised a fair amount, with a number of lines and, in my experience, everyone loves to list their past cruises. I am quite happy to discuss, as I actually enjoy listening to where people have been, but husband can't stand it, but that's by no means confined to Cunard!

Edited by nellydean

I thought it was 17.50 but, even at that rate, people obviously didn't think it worth it.

Yes, it was indeed $17.50.

I only saw one couple dining there one evening on the cruise before yours. Not that I was looking, I just happened to amble past one time. I do recall it very hot hot and thinking to myself "I don't think I'd fancy eating outside in this heat".

Oh you'd be surprised. If they are in the Grills, they make a point of telling you this very early on in the conversation. They also emphasise that they have been on copious amounts of voyages with Cunard - apparently it's an invisible badge of honour. That said, it's unfair to box them all - it's only SOME of them.

I've had plenty of people ask how many times we're been on Cunard before (fair enough, I'm happy to answer that. But I never bother to ask the same question because I'm not interested).

And I've never once, on any Cunard cruise, had anyone tell me they are in the Grills.

Oh good. What a relief. I don't like being in a box and you would never know if I was in an Inside or a Master Suite unless we invited you to share our Fridge Fairy's offerings, something we do quite frequently with lovely people we meet, be they Insiders or Grand Masters.

You've been on one Cunard cruise and have experienced so many things I haven't, on all my cruises. I suppose I must have been lucky, or could that be you, unlucky?

Which ever it is, Cunard isn't a rarified experience. It's a lovely way of taking a holiday. Cunard isn't a wannabe Downton Abbey and as I have already said and you acknowledged, Mrs B does not figure in my Cunard. No one Keeps Up Appearances. Not the folk I've met onboard at any rate. Just lovely people, out for a great break with others who enjoy a similar style of cruising.

I'm just so sorry your Cunard was nothing like mine, irrespective of which restaurant you dined in.

I'm just so sorry your Cunard was nothing like mine, irrespective of which restaurant you dined in.

I'll respond to this as well: I've had my say, and don't wish to enter into an argument with regular Cunarders and, I will repeat, cruising is very subjective - our younger neighbours where we live are ballroom dancers and he loves 50s music, so they would probably LOVE it - but certain standards apply to us all - service, quality and value for money - and I felt the QV let itself down on all three.

Service, overall, was poor. For example, we went to afternoon tea just once, at 4.10pm, so well within the time frame (3.30-4.30), but we were treated shoddily, almost as an afterthought, waited ages for someone to serve us tea, we had to ask for cakes and the constant clatter of dirty plates being cleaned up all around us made it far from the serene experience we expected, and a far cry from afternoon tea in the Queens Room on the QM2, when the service was immaculate and very attentive.

The staff on QV, in general, looked harassed and fed up. Maybe a transatlantic is less stressful due to it being all sea days, but Cunard needs to employ enough staff. There didn't seem to be as many as on other ships we've sailed on.

Edited by nellydean

Oh good. What a relief. I don't like being in a box and you would never know if I was in an Inside or a Master Suite unless we invited you to share our Fridge Fairy's offerings, something we do quite frequently with lovely people we meet, be they Insiders or Grand Masters.

You've been on one Cunard cruise and have experienced so many things I haven't, on all my cruises. I suppose I must have been lucky, or could that be you, unlucky?

Which ever it is, Cunard isn't a rarified experience. It's a lovely way of taking a holiday. Cunard isn't a wannabe Downton Abbey and as I have already said and you acknowledged, Mrs B does not figure in my Cunard. No one Keeps Up Appearances. Not the folk I've met onboard at any rate. Just lovely people, out for a great break with others who enjoy a similar style of cruising.

Thank you for your comments and may you keep enjoying Cunard as have have been doing. I didn't, and I believe this platform exist for people to relay their experience in the way which they have experienced it. It is my right as a consumer to inform others if I am unhappy with a product. I shall keep doing just that, irregardless of the amount of pushback I receive.

it far from the serene experience we expected, and a far cry from afternoon tea in the Queens Room on the QM2, when the service was immaculate and very attentive.

Now that's the complete opposite to what we found on the QM2. The first (and only) time we went for afternoon tea we sat there like to cretins. People all around us were getting served, even those that had sat down after us. We were totally ignored. In the end, Mrs Toad decided it was best we left because she feared I was about to have a stand up row with the incompetent waiters, or, worst still, punch one of them (I'm exaggerating for effect of course). So we never went back on the entire 14 day TA.

Now that's the complete opposite to what we found on the QM2. The first (and only) time we went for afternoon tea we sat there like to cretins. People all around us were getting served, even those that had sat down after us. We were totally ignored. In the end, Mrs Toad decided it was best we left because she feared I was about to have a stand up row with the incompetent waiters, or, worst still, punch one of them (I'm exaggerating for effect of course). So we never went back on the entire 14 day TA.

I'm talking QM2 July 2004, her inaugural year, so I can't vouch for what she's like now. I had nothing else to compare with, except the previous Cunard ship I had cruised on and, sadly, the recent tea room experience was nowhere near as good as back then. Maybe standards have slipped generally over the years.

It is my right as a consumer to inform others if I am unhappy with a product. I shall keep doing just that, irregardless of the amount of pushback I receive.

Indeed it is. I, too, was less than happy with our last cruise on Cunard.

When is episode 5 airing ? I might download them all and keep them as a box set !!!

Edited by ToadOfToadHall