Cunard Queen Victoria Review - Greek Isles July 2017

SonofTertius

Once again you have told us what you didn't want to do, please tell us what you did want and what was advertised and not delivered.

Thank you for your comments Hattie.

May you always enjoy Cunard as you have done so, thus far.

To answer your questions.

In my opinion; literally anything else would have been better in terms of activities. That could include, but is not restricted to Trappola and Piquet.

In my opinion; everything which was advertised was not delivered. In my opinion.

Happy cruising! [emoji4]

In my opinion; literally anything else would have been better in terms of activities. That could include, but is not restricted to Trappola and Piquet.

In my opinion; everything which was advertised was not delivered. In my opinion.

Happy cruising! [emoji4]

So were they advertised? I'm not disputing that they were, but I have never noticed them being advertised.

So were they advertised? I'm not disputing that they were, but I have never noticed them being advertised.

Yes. Cunard as a brand is definitely being marketed. I'm not sure about the activities. Unless I'm confused about what you are trying to question?

If the activities (knitting, cross-stitching, jigsaw puzzles, prayer circles) had been advertised, I certainly would have thunk twice before booking with Cunard Line.

Edited by SonofTertius

Thank you for your comments Hattie.

May you always enjoy Cunard as you have done so, thus far.

Happy cruising! [emoji4]

You have NOT mentioned yet what you like to do on a cruise while at sea, maybe deep deep sea diving. You must be a very difficult person to satisfy?:(

Thank you for your comments.

I might have mentioned it in a previous post; Literally anything would have been better - that could include (but is not restricted to) Trappola and Piquet.

Some of the other things I "like to do on a cruise" may not be seen as completely appropriate for this forum. I'd be happy to relay this information to you, privately, if you'd like.

Happy cruising [emoji4]

Yes. Cunard as a brand is definitely being marketed. I'm not sure about the activities. Unless I'm confused about what you are trying to question?

If the activities (knitting, cross-stitching, jigsaw puzzles, prayer circles) had been advertised, I certainly would have thunk twice before booking with Cunard Line.

The card games you mentioned?

Looking forward to the next instalment. Perhaps the media outlets will highlight the absurd pricing increases for alcohol - bearing in mind that they are already VAT and excise free. And just in case, perhaps they have a look at the Celebrity boards where they are advertising fake Kobe beef burgers for sale.

You have NOT mentioned yet what you like to do on a cruise while at sea, maybe deep deep sea diving. You must be a very difficult person to satisfy?:(

Hi Lucky Mal.

I think you will find the Daniel (the OP) hasn't as much cruise experience as some have given credit for.

Add to that the fact that this cruise was only booked on 6 July, nine nights before sailing, one would have thought at least a reasonable amount of research would have been undertaken: research that would have enlightened Daniel on what to expect.

As for ..." one of the reasons we had chosen Cunard - a blanket of calm", I'll leave my fellow members to decipher..

Hi,you cant be sure that the vast majority had a great time.A lot may have suffered in silence.Not everyone is as vocal as some on here,cheers,Brian.

And you cant be sure that they didn't have a fantastic time, with no one suffering in silence. However, what we do know, is that no one else has felt the need to take to Cruise Critic to complain and given the number on board this trip, we might expect a few. The point I was trying to make, is that this just appears to be a mismatch between the cruise line and the cruiser and their expectations. Is Cunard perfect, of course not. But as I said in a previous post, if Cunard was as bad as they are being painted in this thread, then no one would sail with them.

Hi Lucky Mal.

I think you will find the Daniel (the OP) hasn't as much cruise experience as some have given credit for.

Add to that the fact that this cruise was only booked on 6 July, nine nights before sailing, one would have thought at least a reasonable amount of research would have been undertaken: research that would have enlightened Daniel on what to expect.

As for ..." one of the reasons we had chosen Cunard - a blanket of calm", I'll leave my fellow members to decipher..

Thank you for your comments Richard. I shouldn't think that booking a cruise last-minute would have had any bearing on the outcome of the final product and/or experience of the consumer. If it does, it is perhaps a failed product. Much like the one discussed on this forum perhaps?

Yes, I thought that it would be a calm and relaxing cruise. It turned out to be boring and rather backwards. Calm and boring are rather two different things in my experience, and I'm sure, for others too.

I have almost zero cruising experience. I have never tried hiding the fact. The realisation that it could be seen as a 'disadvantage' by 'Cunardites', having pointed it out to fellow cruisers (much like you are pointing out my real [or perhaps not] name (Daniel), perhaps just highlights the various issues I (and others) have raised about the aggressive attitudes of people who are dedicated to a certain brand, regardless of what the brand does 'right' or wrong.

So you agree with her that because Cunard is being "knocked" on this thread, the thread should be closed ?

This thread should be closed, in fact it should have been closed some time ago. Not because Cunard is being knocked but because this is basically a troll thread.

He is posting a critical review, fine, I love Cunard but it certainly isn't perfect - nothing is. But when anyone responds by pointing out an inaccuracy (2 hour shows for example) or asks him what he did want he makes a comment along the lines of 'You keep enjoying Cunard then'. This is a veiled insult as he has already made it clear he believes that us folk who do enjoy Cunard are Mrs Bucket.

Cunard offers entertainment that clearly doesn't interest him, that's fine and I hope he finds a line that appeals. I personally want live music in which lounge/bar I decide to sit in and Cunard gives me that. I want interest I talks by a variety of speakers, the talk about drug smuggling in the Med sounds great to me. He has made his views of this sort of entertainment clear.

I don't mind a funny review but I think it has gone to far.

Apologies if this is a rambling monologue.

Still unsure if cruising is for us as we like land based vacations and the freedom of different dining venues nightly. We avoid all inclusive and while we like 4/5 star at a reasonable price they cannot be isolated.

we have had five cruises so far with mixed feelings. We don't look for shows and quizzes rather we like to be able to relax, have nice food, pleasant service, not feel crowded or ripped off and certainly not treated like a child. Of course it is an easy vacation in a way as you can see lots of places without having to unpack.

Our first cruise was on Star Clippers in the Caribbean. Loved it and have done two more with them and may do one again - Venice to Rome looks interesting. Food and service were overall excellent. It is expensive but the positives are that it is priced in Euro, drink prices, Internet and laundry are very reasonable and service charge is inclusive. No nickel and diming.

Had two Celebrity experiences. One was enjoyable - not perfect as the food/service did not meet the marketing expectations (not to mention a waiter getting upset at my wife for ordering her steak rare) but overall a good vacation and a bit of a blow out. The quality of the music was really good.

The second Celebrity cruise was truly awful, everything we liked about the first cruise had turned as they were intensely cost cutting and we dreaded a lot of the time on board. Nevertheless we really enjoyed our time off the ship and indeed maximised this time.

One funny experience was eating dinner while still in port. Another cruise ship pulled up - MSC. The guests looked like they were having a great time. Our wine waiter proclaimed that Celebrity was far superior and we were much better off with them - at the same time he was topping up our very nice red wine with someone else's white wine. Interesting I was castigated on the Celebrity boards for expressing criticism. 12 months on and that criticism is now far more prevalent.

We have a cruise planned on Azamara and a crossing on the QM2 in December. Quite anxious now about QM2 especially good quality and service but reasonable expectations about the former - we got a great deal.

The reason we chose QM2 is the idea of a transatlantic pre flying and being able to be cut ourselves off for 7 days. Will be prepared with books and movies downloaded on the iPad. Will also be open to trying out the alternative dining options if the main dining room disappoints. Also will get dressed up for the formal nights - far more sensible in winter but really will not bother with the themed nights.

There are other options. Two cruise lines that tempt are Princess and HAL. For princess I I like the idea of more than one included dining room. The temptation on HAL is the konigsdam. It is a new ship and i like that you are not restricted on bringing on wine, the corkage is reasonable, there is a blues club and a range of included food options.

I think Royal Caribbean and Norwegian would be our idea of hell but others have said they can be ok on the right ship at the right time I.e. Outside of school term.

Great though that there is choice. Between cruise lines, the option of city breaks, more exotic long haul holidays, Christmas markets in Germany etc

I did like your review as while it is subjective you are debunking some of the marketing and bringing genuine criticism on areas such as food quality, service and drinks prices that should be highlighted. Maybe the executives should listen as this is far more valuable than a cruise line loyalist who genuinely has a love for a brand - to be fair this is probably based on past performance before cost cutting.

Good afternoon Pavovsky.

You may wish to take a peep at my review of a recent crossing on Queen Mary 2: her crossings really are outstanding...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/01/02/queen-mary-2-remastered-trans-atlantic/

Hopefully you will enjoy what i have reported on. One thing you will no doubt find, as I did, it's often a struggle to get a seat in that 'dreadful' 80s style pub, The Golden Lion...

10982877396_868f8ee74b_z.jpg

Slightly off topic I was interested to hear of your Star Clipper experiences. My next cruise is with that cruise line and I too am looking forward to the adventure.

I am going with an open mind and in the full knowledge that Star Clipper is not Cunard.

This thread should be closed, in fact it should have been closed some time ago. Not because Cunard is being knocked but because this is basically a troll thread.

He is posting a critical review, fine, I love Cunard but it certainly isn't perfect - nothing is. But when anyone responds by pointing out an inaccuracy (2 hour shows for example) or asks him what he did want he makes a comment along the lines of 'You keep enjoying Cunard then'. This is a veiled insult as he has already made it clear he believes that us folk who do enjoy Cunard are Mrs Bucket.

Cunard offers entertainment that clearly doesn't interest him, that's fine and I hope he finds a line that appeals. I personally want live music in which lounge/bar I decide to sit in and Cunard gives me that. I want interest I talks by a variety of speakers, the talk about drug smuggling in the Med sounds great to me. He has made his views of this sort of entertainment clear.

The guidelines of this forum have been adhered to and as a consumer, I have the right to express my concerns and my experience over a product on a public platform.

Good afternoon Ben.

"This thread should be closed, in fact it should have been closed some time ago. Not because Cunard is being knocked but because this is basically a troll thread".

You're words, my thoughts.

Thank you.

You seem to have fallen into the trap that so many now do on internet forums; If they do not agree with what someone has to say, they call them a "troll".

Thank you for your comments Richard. I shouldn't think that booking a cruise last-minute would have had any bearing on the outcome of the final product and/or experience of the consumer. If it does, it is perhaps a failed product. Much like the one discussed on this forum perhaps?

Yes, I thought that it would be a calm and relaxing cruise. It turned out to be boring and rather backwards. Calm and boring are rather two different things in my experience, and I'm sure, for others too.

I have almost zero cruising experience. I have never tried hiding the fact. The realisation that it could be seen as a 'disadvantage' by 'Cunardites', having pointed it out to fellow cruisers (much like you are pointing out my real [or perhaps not] name (Daniel), perhaps just highlights the various issues I (and others) have raised about the aggressive attitudes of people who are dedicated to a certain brand, regardless of what the brand does 'right' or wrong.

Good afternoon Daniel.

I'm always happy to point out a few facts: as a 'consumer' of course. :cool:

You seem to have fallen into the trap that so many now do on internet forums; If they do not agree with what someone has to say, they call them a "troll".

No trap Toad, I've been regularly accused of being a troll.

Of course, you won't see many 'Trolls' willing to show their faces though...

11725507575_39744d8c5e_z.jpg