Cunard Queen Victoria Review - Greek Isles July 2017

SonofTertius

You seem to have fallen into the trap that so many now do on internet forums; If they do not agree with what someone has to say, they call them a "troll".

I disagree with this statement also but am not accusing you of trolling.

If he was responding to people in a constructive way it would be different. He isn't, he is responding with the same line about enjoy Cunard. His meaning is clear. If we enjoy it we are boring or snobbish. I consider myself to be neither of these things. I just like different entertainment to him.

Repeated comments about dress code and entertainment are no more constructive than me going to a forum about club 18-30 holidays and writing pages of review where I moan about the lack of dress code and the excessive cheap booze consumed. I wouldn't do that as it is clear this type of holiday isn't aimed at me. That's fine, no one thing can suit everyone.

Thank you for your comments Hattie.

May you always enjoy Cunard as you have done so, thus far.

To answer your questions.

In my opinion; literally anything else would have been better in terms of activities. That could include, but is not restricted to Trappola and Piquet.

In my opinion; everything which was advertised was not delivered. In my opinion.

Happy cruising! [emoji4]

Well there's a turn up for the books.

According to Wiki it would appear that 'Piquet' is a card game for two players.

Hardly mass entertainment then.

Good afternoon Ben.

"This thread should be closed, in fact it should have been closed some time ago. Not because Cunard is being knocked but because this is basically a troll thread".

You're words, my thoughts.

Thank you.

Thanks Richard,

Glad I am not alone in viewing it this way.

Ben

I disagree with this statement also but am not accusing you of trolling.

If he was responding to people in a constructive way it would be different. He isn't, he is responding with the same line about enjoy Cunard. His meaning is clear. If we enjoy it we are boring or snobbish. I consider myself to be neither of these things. I just like different entertainment to him.

Repeated comments about dress code and entertainment are no more constructive than me going to a forum about club 18-30 holidays and writing pages of review where I moan about the lack of dress code and the excessive cheap booze consumed. I wouldn't do that as it is clear this type of holiday isn't aimed at me. That's fine, no one thing can suit everyone.

I am truly sincere in my wishes. I didn't enjoy it yet would not want to force my opinion onto others. You are not held at gunpoint to read this thread. Nobody is. It is my right as a consumer to raise any issues I might have with a service or product. My right as a consumer and as a guest on a public forum which encourages people to inform others about their experience with organisations which makes profit from our hard earned money.

Well there's a turn up for the books.

According to Wiki it would appear that 'Piquet' is a card game for two players.

Hardly mass entertainment then.

Whilst doing your research, you could perhaps find it beneficial to also do an exploration of the word "irony".

Edited by SonofTertius

The people in the Princess and Queens grill suites, who had their own decks on the ship which, to my understanding, included everything they needed (pool, dining room etc) to never have to set foot on lower decks. If I am wrong, then I stand corrected, but we talked to a lot of people during the two weeks, in all areas of the ship, and we never met anyone from either of those classes.

Think I am maybe wrong on them having a separate pool, but it is fairly self-contained area for Grills passengers.

Do you really talk to people about what class they are in? I personally just talk to people as who they are , not how much their cabin cost. As someone who has been in Princess and Queens , no , we don't have a pool and we do set foot on the lower decks for just about everything you do except the restaurants and occasional sunbathing on the grills area.

Do you really talk to people about what class they are in? I personally just talk to people as who they are , not how much their cabin cost. As someone who has been in Princess and Queens , no , we don't have a pool and we do set foot on the lower decks for just about everything you do except the restaurants and occasional sunbathing on the grills area.

Totally support what you say, I have been on the QE in the Queens and on the QV (x2) and QM2 in a balcony cabin - met some great people, but never got into discussion about which cabin we/they were in, why would you? And in relation to Gill guests not setting foot on the lower decks, sorry but the OP is simply wrong. The vast majority of facilities are on the lower decks and used by all guests.

I am truly sincere in my wishes. I didn't enjoy it yet would not want to force my opinion onto others. You are not held at gunpoint to read this thread. Nobody is. It is my right as a consumer to raise any issues I might have with a service or product. My right as a consumer and as a guest on a public forum which encourages people to inform others about their experience with organisations which makes profit from our hard earned money.

You are right, no one is forced to read this and you have the right as a consumer to raise any issues that you found - and you have done that. As such, I am not sure what else you are looking for from this "thread"? Indeed, having read your posts carefully, it is unclear what you are looking for from a cruise line. I know a number of things that you don't like, but you tell us very little as to what you like or want. As such, even after all these posts, I doubt anyone could point you in the right direction as to what line to book.

But what I will take from this thread is the importance to do your research before booking to ensure it is the right fit for you. In this case, you appear to have taken a late booking without any real idea as to what the ethos/culture of the line is like. Unfortunately, this has put you out of step with what is offered by Cunard and to be honest what is wanted by the other passengers. Yes, drink prices are expensive, but there is so much information available on the internet that this should not really come as a shock. Indeed, you can view sample menus, watch video's of life on-board the ships and of course read reviews of previous guests. But you do need to be clear about what you want and what you don't because the lines can be very different - just because the price is right, doesn't mean you are going to enjoy it and I doubt that you will change what they offer.

While you say you do not wish to force your opinions on others, by the nature of your comments, and the style of writing that you use, you are of course doing just that. Rather than providing a balanced review, you do tend to concentrate on the negatives and put all the blame on Cunard. Clearly, you did not enjoy your Cunard experience, but as I have already said, isn't this simply a case of a customer booking the wrong cruise line? Without sounding harsh, it may be time to move on to the next adventure - after all, none of us are getting any younger.

You are right, no one is forced to read this and you have the right as a consumer to raise any issues that you found - and you have done that. As such, I am not sure what else you are looking for from this "thread"? Indeed, having read your posts carefully, it is unclear what you are looking for from a cruise line. I know a number of things that you don't like, but you tell us very little as to what you like or want. As such, even after all these posts, I doubt anyone could point you in the right direction as to what line to book.

But what I will take from this thread is the importance to do your research before booking to ensure it is the right fit for you. In this case, you appear to have taken a late booking without any real idea as to what the ethos/culture of the line is like. Unfortunately, this has put you out of step with what is offered by Cunard and to be honest what is wanted by the other passengers. Yes, drink prices are expensive, but there is so much information available on the internet that this should not really come as a shock. Indeed, you can view sample menus, watch video's of life on-board the ships and of course read reviews of previous guests. But you do need to be clear about what you want and what you don't because the lines can be very different - just because the price is right, doesn't mean you are going to enjoy it and I doubt that you will change what they offer.

While you say you do not wish to force your opinions on others, by the nature of your comments, and the style of writing that you use, you are of course doing just that. Rather than providing a balanced review, you do tend to concentrate on the negatives and put all the blame on Cunard. Clearly, you did not enjoy your Cunard experience, but as I have already said, isn't this simply a case of a customer booking the wrong cruise line? Without sounding harsh, it may be time to move on to the next adventure - after all, none of us are getting any younger.

Very well said. You make valid points. I appreciate that you debate like an adult. Thank you for your time in reading the review. I'm sorry if you feel that the review was unbalanced - that was not my intention.

I didn't book the wrong line. I booked the only line with cabins available which was travelling to the destinations I selected during the time I was free. The deciding factor for me was Cunard's shiny advertising campaigns. The fact that there were plenty of cabins available, just a week before the cruise, was, to me, an indication that the product would not be up to scratch and is probably in a slow decline. It sadly was.

PS - I'm not looking for anything from this thread. People are raising questions and leaving comments which I feel obliged to answer. Other than commenting on these, all I'm doing is practicing my right to review a product on a forum which encourages us to do so.

We could all move on to our next adventure, yet we keep coming back here to quarrel. Again, no one is being forced.

Edited by SonofTertius

Have just spent some time reading this thread. Sadly it is time in my life I will never get back. Can't every one, including the OP just accept that some things in life is not for everyone and leave it at that. As has been said lets move on to another adventure and finish with this thread.

Have just spent some time reading this thread. Sadly it is time in my life I will never get back. Can't every one, including the OP just accept that some things in life is not for everyone and leave it at that. As has been said lets move on to another adventure and finish with this thread.

Agreed. The end.

I've found it the most enjoyable thread in a very long time.

There's a lot of truth in what SoT has said; he's looked beyond the veneer and seen what a lot of people do not see.

Because, at the end of the day, going on a cruise is just a holiday, but plenty of people do not see it like that. They see any criticism of the cruise line they choose as some kind of personal affront.

People have called for the thread to be closed simply because they do not like what they read.

It's odd because it's often younger people who are accused of living in an echo chamber and demanding their safe spaces and shutting down debate because other views do not conform to their worldview.

And yet I think it's fairly safe to assume that the demographic on here is not that young.

So SoT has been, in effect, No Platformed, by people that are of an age that really should know better.

I thank the OP for taking the time to post such detailed comments, and I do appreciate the humour.

I don't intend to criticise anything, but wish to make a few comments about the harpist and string quartet. Of course this entertainment isn't everyone's "cup of tea." As a person who despises all music that can be broadly classified as pop I appreciate the varied options provided on Cunard ships. Very few ships provide an alternative to what is a racket to my ears. When I go to sea I want to get away from the noise that is foisted on me in so many places on land, such as shops, restaurants, television commercials. Most ships do not offer music which is to my taste. I make no apologies for my taste in music - and it isn't an age thing. I felt the same 50 years ago.

I have not been on the QV, but have been on the QE once and many times on the QM2 and, before that, the QE2. It is my experience that Cunard provides musical entertainment for all tastes. The QM2, in particular, offers the harpist, string quartet, featured classical artists, abridged plays by RADA - but also there is the "palais de hop" (as the barrister Rumpole called it) and the usual ship-board big shows with over-amplified singers screaming at us, and even some so-called "middle of the road" entertainment.

Perhaps the smaller Queens do not offer the vast range of music that the QM2 does, but having a choice is one of the many things that I, and many others, like about Cunard.

Thank you OP for takeing such a lot of time to write such an long and detailed review- interessting and funny to read. I would not call myself a die hard cunard followers or cruiser or whatever but found all my voyages with them most enjoyable, relaxing and - yes I must say- special! Something RCI- Celebrity have long lost IMO.

As you so aptly wrote- these boards are called Cruise CRITIC after all. So when writing such a long review you might expect a little CRITIC yourself and take it with "grace"!

You can´t expect that everyone has the same " negativ" experience! Always when getting back from a Cunard voyage I am asked how i liked it- well Cunard certainly is not for everyone - with all it offers - but for me it is. There are so many options for all kind of cruise styles- so one can take ones pick!

3 weeks ago I just came back from a QE voyage in the Baltic Sea- and loved every minute of it! Not everything was perfect, as nothing ever is, as one poster mentioned - for sure- but all in all it was one of my best voyages ever- thanks to Cunard and this wonderful ship QE.

As I don´t like Buffet style eating I took almost every meal in the MDR - and never got bad service. Yes the Head Waiter was no in the best of moods most of the time in the evening, but his assistans made for then up for that!

And now - I look forward for my " special voyage" a back to back Transatlantik- two weeks on board the Mary2 and no ports " in the way" !

There's a lot of truth in what SoT has said; he's looked beyond the veneer and seen what a lot of people do not see.

Because, at the end of the day, going on a cruise is just a holiday, but plenty of people do not see it like that. They see any criticism of the cruise line they choose as some kind of personal affront.

People have called for the thread to be closed simply because they do not like what they read.

It's odd because it's often younger people who are accused of living in an echo chamber and demanding their safe spaces and shutting down debate because other views do not conform to their worldview.

And yet I think it's fairly safe to assume that the demographic on here is not that young.

So SoT has been, in effect, No Platformed, by people that are of an age that really should know better.

Could not agree more with you ToadOfToadHall,

Shame it looks like we will not read 6 of 6 !

If only there was a like button.

Very well said. You make valid points. I appreciate that you debate like an adult. Thank you for your time in reading the review. I'm sorry if you feel that the review was unbalanced - that was not my intention.

I didn't book the wrong line. I booked the only line with cabins available which was travelling to the destinations I selected during the time I was free. The deciding factor for me was Cunard's shiny advertising campaigns. The fact that there were plenty of cabins available, just a week before the cruise, was, to me, an indication that the product would not be up to scratch and is probably in a slow decline. It sadly was.

PS - I'm not looking for anything from this thread. People are raising questions and leaving comments which I feel obliged to answer. Other than commenting on these, all I'm doing is practicing my right to review a product on a forum which encourages us to do so.

We could all move on to our next adventure, yet we keep coming back here to quarrel. Again, no one is being forced.

As an ex-Marketing Director I used to love people who didn't do their research and relied upon my "shiny advertising campaign" !!

Good morning Toad (from a rather wet and windy Solent shoreline).

"I've found it the most enjoyable thread in a very long time".

I'm sure you have, particularly following your recent critique of Queen Victoria.

"...he's looked beyond the veneer and seen what a lot of people do not see".

Are you serious? Certainly on these boards there are cruisers who spend such times with Cunard that they make up the veneer.

"Because, at the end of the day, going on a cruise is just a holiday, but plenty of people do not see it like that. They see any criticism of the cruise line they choose as some kind of personal affront".

I certainly hope you haven't included me in that assessment. As always, as with all boards that allow responses to reviews, I hopefully provide an opinion or answer that balances an otherwise imbalanced view.

"People have called for the thread to be closed simply because they do not like what they read".

I'm very pleased it wasn't 'closed' as the balanced views I mentioned above have been aired.

"It's odd because it's often younger people who are accused of living in an echo chamber and demanding their safe spaces and shutting down debate because other views do not conform to their worldview".

"And yet I think it's fairly safe to assume that the demographic on here is not that young".

Certainly I've never adopted an ageist approach to any of my factual corrections and I have certainly not made any demands on free speech, so am rather confused by this remark: I do believe the only 'age ' mentioned was that given by the OP.

"So SoT has been, in effect, No Platformed, by people that are of an age that really should know better"

Hardly 'platformed', I'd have probably used terminology along the lines... 'adequately neutralised through reasoned responses from members with a little more Cunard experience'.