Cunard Queen Victoria Review - Greek Isles July 2017

SonofTertius

Thanks Mr Toad for the quick reply.

A farce indeed.

I recall how on my way back to my room I would often call at the WinterGarden bar to collect a drink. I would literally go to the bar, ask for my drink, it was handed over and I paid 15% for the privilege .

Good value or what!

Now over in France ( where I currently live), you pay one price at the bar and another if you are served at a table, I can sort of go with that.

A question has occurred, can you remove the 15% service charge ( if the drinks service so poor) separately from the daily service charge?

No, you can't.

Which is why it's such a farce.

My experience was that when I complained that the service on one occasion was utterly unacceptable and I shouldn't have to pay the service charge, they simply removed the whole charge for the drinks.

My experience was that when I complained that the service on one occasion was utterly unacceptable and I shouldn't have to pay the service charge, they simply removed the whole charge for the drinks.

Probably easier to do with the Bar Manager, Then get the Waiter into trouble for Bad service further up the line of command.

Or for the ease of accounting. From what I understand The Bar Staff receive all the service charge as part of their wages.

Although I can't find it now, there was a comment earlier in this thread about "Cunard cheerleaders." I think the Cunard cheerleaders are quite gentle compared to the equivalent on other cruise lines pages.

A couple of years ago I inadvertently stirred up the Holland America cheerleaders. Not having cruised with HAL for 40 years I had a few questions - not criticisms - about our upcoming voyage. We had splurged on a Neptune Suite, which is as close to Cunard's Queen's Grill that HAL offers. In answer to my first question about amenities to those in this level of accommodation I got told off. The attitude was: How dare you suggest that HAL should provide this to you. It didn't get any better later on. I have seen this attitude on other cruise lines' pages.

Although I can't find it now, there was a comment earlier in this thread about "Cunard cheerleaders." I think the Cunard cheerleaders are quite gentle compared to the equivalent on other cruise lines pages.

A couple of years ago I inadvertently stirred up the Holland America cheerleaders. Not having cruised with HAL for 40 years I had a few questions - not criticisms - about our upcoming voyage. We had splurged on a Neptune Suite, which is as close to Cunard's Queen's Grill that HAL offers. In answer to my first question about amenities to those in this level of accommodation I got told off. The attitude was: How dare you suggest that HAL should provide this to you. It didn't get any better later on. I have seen this attitude on other cruise lines' pages.

[emoji362]I wonder if the MS Nieuw Statendam would have any last-minute deals for her maiden voyage season in 2018 [emoji362]

Originally posted by david,Mississauga Although I can't find it now, there was a comment earlier in this thread about "Cunard cheerleaders." I think the Cunard cheerleaders are quite gentle compared to the equivalent on other cruise lines pages.

I wonder if the MS Nieuw Statendam would have any last-minute deals for her maiden voyage season in 2018 [emoji362]

Like:D

Try making a mildly critical remark on the Oceania board! My god, some of them are really snide.

WOOOHOOO!>..thanks for the hint...thats fun and also wasted half an hour and was a lot more interesting in this thread which has clearly begun to die a much anticipated death;p

WOOOHOOO!>..thanks for the hint...thats fun and also wasted half an hour and was a lot more interesting in this thread which has clearly begun to die a much anticipated death;p

My sentiments about Cunard exactly. You couldn't have put it better.

[emoji362]I wonder if the MS Nieuw Statendam would have any last-minute deals for her maiden voyage season in 2018 [emoji362]

You might give that a second thought. If you were bored on Cunard, you'll likely be bored on HAL, as they have less in the way of daytime activities. The two new ships do have more evening entertainment options than Cunard has, but check out reviews of Koningsdam to see if they will be to your liking, as Nieuw Statendam will be similar.

You might give that a second thought. If you were bored on Cunard, you'll likely be bored on HAL, as they have less in the way of daytime activities. The two new ships do have more evening entertainment options than Cunard has, but check out reviews of Koningsdam to see if they will be to your liking, as Nieuw Statendam will be similar.

I'm anxiously looking forward to my FIRST Princess cruise and now have seriously high expectations thanks to SonofTertius.

SoT, I didn't read this thread until today as I've not had interest in sailing on the QV to date, not because of bad reviews but the fly/cruise concept is not something that is appealing to me right now. I'm sorry that the bad for outweighed the good and so many things were overpriced. I hope you find a better experience and value on another line.

That said, I have to confess that your comments have caused me to reevaluate how I might interact with fellow passengers going forward. When striking up a conversation with total strangers, it just seemed to be a natural "ice breaker" to ask if this was their first time on the ship. Was I ever wrong. Didn't realize that it was boarding on braggadocios to reply that it was my 9th, 10th, or whatever. Never intended it to be "one upping" anybody but it's obvious it could be taken as such. If they ask "What dinner sitting?" it would be better to say that I'm dining in the buffet if I'm really in the Grills. Maybe there was an advantage to the fare class separation on the old liners. The people in the less expensive categories didn't encounter those with more money or had traveled more extensively and thus were protected from being put down by them.

SoT, I didn't read this thread until today as I've not had interest in sailing on the QV to date, not because of bad reviews but the fly/cruise concept is not something that is appealing to me right now. I'm sorry that the bad for outweighed the good and so many things were overpriced. I hope you find a better experience and value on another line.

That said, I have to confess that your comments have caused me to reevaluate how I might interact with fellow passengers going forward. When striking up a conversation with total strangers, it just seemed to be a natural "ice breaker" to ask if this was their first time on the ship. Was I ever wrong. Didn't realize that it was boarding on braggadocios to reply that it was my 9th, 10th, or whatever. Never intended it to be "one upping" anybody but it's obvious it could be taken as such. If they ask "What dinner sitting?" it would be better to say that I'm dining in the buffet if I'm really in the Grills. Maybe there was an advantage to the fare class separation on the old liners. The people in the less expensive categories didn't encounter those with more money or had traveled more extensively and thus were protected from being put down by them.

(bold is mine) I've had lots of conversations like that, and never thought anyone was bragging, even in our earlier days, when we were just bronze (anyone remember bronze, silver, gold?). In the past few years, I've seen complaints here about bragging, and I'm reluctant to use that ice breaker now for fear of making someone feel uncomfortable.

I did encounter a bragger on our last crossing. As a group of us stood outside a launderette waiting for it to open (figures this would happen at a launderette, right?), one woman said "Maybe we should call and say we're Gold and they'll open it for us." Then she mentioned that it finally got sunny--I think this was to show any inferior people in inside cabins that she was above them, with a view of daylight! She also worked in a comment about the cocktail party for Gold passengers "last night, but we didn't go." I said, "Actually, it's tonight." And I could see her disappointment that she wasn't the only World Club member there. I really really really wanted to casually mention being Diamond, but then I'd have been a braggart, too. :evilsmile:

(bold is mine) I've had lots of conversations like that, and never thought anyone was bragging, even in our earlier days, when we were just bronze (anyone remember bronze, silver, gold?). In the past few years, I've seen complaints here about bragging, and I'm reluctant to use that ice breaker now for fear of making someone feel uncomfortable.

I did encounter a bragger on our last crossing. As a group of us stood outside a launderette waiting for it to open (figures this would happen at a launderette, right?), one woman said "Maybe we should call and say we're Gold and they'll open it for us." Then she mentioned that it finally got sunny--I think this was to show any inferior people in inside cabins that she was above them, with a view of daylight! She also worked in a comment about the cocktail party for Gold passengers "last night, but we didn't go." I said, "Actually, it's tonight." And I could see her disappointment that she wasn't the only World Club member there. I really really really wanted to casually mention being Diamond, but then I'd have been a braggart, too. :evilsmile:

I would not .think you would be bragging trying to break the ice by claiming to be a Diamond Member, so easy to qualify to be a Diamond Member. I think one world cruise would give you qualification:evilsmile:

I'm anxiously looking forward to my FIRST Princess cruise and now have seriously high expectations thanks to SonofTertius.

Prepare to be underwhelmed Richard. As a retired hotelier and respected Cunardite, I would think that you'd edge towards more traditional standards. Princess might just be a tiny notch too rebellious for your taste [emoji6]. Whatever you do and/or unless you have more than 60% Far Eastern roots; do not step foot on Majestic - she was built for China, and this includes the food and entertainment.

Interesting and entertaining thread to read. Over the years, I have seen a few of these types of threads - something truly unique to the Cunard board. To those who read this and are unsure whether to book QV or Cunard, rest assured that this thread represents one person's view and doesn't line up with what we have experienced on Cunard (only 2 crossings and cruises for a total of 34 days onboard). Our experience has been that Cunard has been very good about delivering what they advertise. We were never surprised by the activities offered (or not offered). We can only compare with Holland America, Princess, P&O and Norwegian. All have their strong points and weak points. Only on Cunard though have we had what we would call stellar vacations. Service like no other line, where we got to know waiters, who quickly learned our likes and dislikes, fantastic tours and presentations. We've met the nicest and most interesting people (and not pretentious!) on Cunard ships. We've found the food to be excellent (consistently the best we've had amongst the lines we have used). But we don't always do Cunard. A Cunard cruise (or crossing) is more work, more clothes to bring along, more packing, more changing. But it's nice in the mix, along with the other cruise lines. Right now we have three cruises booked: Next with NCL, then QM2 and then Princess. We are looking forward to each one for very different reasons.

Thanks Blue. As I'm still new to cruising I'm sure I'll find something suitable - this was after all only my second cruise. Contrary to popular believe; I do like the concept of cruising but as you said, I need to find my 'fit'.

Don't be totally put off by the comments about what you say when striking up conversations. I'm in a career of 'reading people' and perhaps a bit more susceptible or sensitive to behaviour - to my own disadvantage sometimes.

But yes, saying that you are dining in the buffet restaurant might get different reactions from different people. Some might feel more comfortable to strike up a conversation, but I'm sure you'll throw a few backs out too. Just as well that there's always a doctor onboard [emoji850].

I would not .think you would be bragging trying to break the ice by claiming to be a Diamond Member, so easy to qualify to be a Diamond Member. I think one world cruise would give you qualification:evilsmile:

Good you mention this Mal. It's funny how different colours and minerals define us when travelling. A few decades ago gold was top. Now it's platinum. Or is it black? I can't keep up. When I was in kindergarten, our teachers gave the groups animal names. Perhaps we should move back to that. Nevertheless, I'll always travel in donkey group whilst others would certainly prefer to travel as lions or elephants. We'll always have to watch out for the snakes though [emoji6].

I wish there was a 'LIKE' button.

Prepare to be underwhelmed Richard. As a retired hotelier and respected Cunardite, I would think that you'd edge towards more traditional standards. Princess might just be a tiny notch too rebellious for your taste [emoji6]. Whatever you do and/or unless you have more than 60% Far Eastern roots; do not step foot on Majestic - she was built for China, and this includes the food and entertainment.

Good morning SonofTertius.

Thank you for your input and recognition of my hospitality and Cunard cruising record.

I have, as always, done a small amount of homework on this Princess cruise and have chosen a suite that came at a more than acceptable price and so much cheaper than a Princess Grill.

I've certainly been impressed with the Princess Administration so far. Straight into 'Elite' loyalty level thanks to my P&O loyalty status, $500 additional Military Veteran OBC and, this is a real showstopper, their price guarantee on excursions.

quote=Solent Richard;53740264]Good morning SonofTertius.

Thank you for your input and recognition of my hospitality and Cunard cruising record.

I have, as always, done a small amount of homework on this Princess cruise and have chosen a suite that came at a more than acceptable price and so much cheaper than a Princess Grill.

I've certainly been impressed with the Princess Administration so far. Straight into 'Elite' loyalty level thanks to my P&O loyalty status, $500 additional Military Veteran OBC and, this is a real showstopper, their price guarantee on excursions.

Hope you enjoy Princess, I have only travelled once with them, must admit it was a while ago, but they had a cinema blasting away on a top deck all day until late at night, with people watching a film wrapped in towels on a sun bed. That one cruise was enough. I have found every Cruise Line have their own plus and minus we love or hate. :mad:

quote=Solent Richard;53740264]Good morning SonofTertius.

Hope you enjoy Princess, I have only travelled once with them, must admit it was a while ago, but they had a cinema blasting away on a top deck all day until late at night, with people watching a film wrapped in towels on a sun bed. That one cruise was enough. I have found every Cruise Line have their own plus and minus we love or hate. :mad:

On the sea princess,on our 1st cruise in 2007 they had Man U v West Ham live in the Carribean on that big ugly screen and West Ham stuffed em yeah.

Interestingly P&O Have now cut the Military benefit for UK and it is only applicable to the Select fare with other exclusions also.

Wonder if other Carnival Brands will follow.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/military

Interestingly P&O Have now cut the Military benefit for UK and it is only applicable to the Select fare with other exclusions also.

Wonder if other Carnival Brands will follow.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/military

Happily I treat everything as a bonus and you'll never catch me complaining.

I'd be cruising anyway and as they say at Tesco, 'every little helps'.

Happily I treat everything as a bonus and you'll never catch me complaining.

I'd be cruising anyway and as they say at Tesco, 'every little helps'.

Certainly not complaining, Just mentioning on the forum that P&O have cut MilitaryOn Board Credit, however I do feel there are also more Careers that should benefit from obc.