downlining on RCI

We had a recent report of someone paying $130 per couple in a cabin.

Well I just paid ours a few days ago for the 3 days off the ship in India and it was $65 per cabin. All the others on our private tour were charged the same, so the $130 was obviously a mistake or something else added in.

Well I just paid ours a few days ago for the 3 days off the ship in India and it was $65 per cabin. All the others on our private tour were charged the same, so the $130 was obviously a mistake or something else added in.

If you read enough posts and cruise enough, you'll discover that it is very difficult to make absolute statements about almost anything.

Already asked this question using general forum, but trying to ask again: is there any rule for downlining (i.e. premature disembarkation) ? We 'll disembark 4 days early (14 days cruise as total) than planned arrival with the cruise line approval, but even though we paid for the entire cruise - should we pay tips for the entire cruise as well or only for the days when we are onboard ?

The analogy that comes to mind is this. You have a full time job which supports your family. On Wednesday your boss comes to you and says "I don't need you to come in on Thursday or Friday, and by the way you will not be paid for those two days." That would hurt you and your family, right? It certainly would not be fair to have your pay cut at the whim of your employer with no regard to your needs.

The analogy that comes to mind is this. You have a full time job which supports your family. On Wednesday your boss comes to you and says "I don't need you to come in on Thursday or Friday, and by the way you will not be paid for those two days." That would hurt you and your family, right?

Not quite the same - one cabin's worth of grats for 3 days is a very small portion of the stewards overall compensation. Someone could be a no show and the steward would be out the grats for that cabin for the whole sailing - should they somehow make up for the steward's loss of income?

By rights, yes, they should. I would hope that the line makes up the lost income to the steward from the defaulted cruise fare. But that is a different situation from what the OP proposed. The OP proposed purposefully stiffing the crew their compensation to save a few bucks, which is inexcusable. If the OP needs the money so badly, he/she shouldn't be on a 14-day cruise.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Not quite the same - one cabin's worth of grats for 3 days is a very small portion of the stewards overall compensation. Someone could be a no show and the steward would be out the grats for that cabin for the whole sailing - should they somehow make up for the steward's loss of income?

True, but analogies are meant to convey a premise, not a precise concept.

That's correct about the money, but they will perform less job - no need to make the room and serve the meal. My assumption that money is paid for the accomplished job. In general, "The customary amount of a tip can be a specific range of monetary amounts or a certain percentage of the bill based on the perceived quality of the service given". So, it should be decided by the clients and not cruise admin

Are you expecting Royal Caribbean to price your cruise based on the number of days you sail with them as well? Royal Caribbean doesn't have to feed you, power your room, etc. What's the difference between that and gratuities for your stateroom attendant?

I don't post all that often, but I cruise frequently, at least twice a year. All that being said, if you can afford transportation to the cruise, the cruise, drinks, excursions, etc. you can afford the tips. In my opinion, that's a part of the price of admission. I am amazed at how many people want to get the tips taken off of their bill. Unreal.