Best side of ship for city view in Havana

Debbie1029

Starboard, if the captain goes in straight, port if he backs in.

On my Empress trip, we docked straight in, yet I read on a subsequent review that they backed in (?).

I was portside, I looked at the deserted parts of the terminal buildings. I have booked starboard for my next trip there next year. Hope the captain does not decide to back in that day.

One thing to consider, tho: with the tiny cabins, short port times and so very much to see in town, it's doubtful you will spend much time in your cabin looking out.

You'll want to be topside anyway for sail in and sail out. Both are just wonderful to see.

I had the same question before I sailed, and got no responses, so here you go.

Haven't been there yet, but from what I can tell, starboard would be a nice place to be when you're cruising away from the port. Apparently there's a fort on the starboard side (eastern part of the Havana area) with a lighthouse, and also it sounds like you might be able to see a big concrete Christ statue that's lit up at night. It's just past El Morro fort. Of course, if you're up top for the sailaway, it won't matter that much which side of the ship you're on, as you'll get views on either side of the ship.

Haven't been there yet, but from what I can tell, starboard would be a nice place to be when you're cruising away from the port. Apparently there's a fort on the starboard side (eastern part of the Havana area) with a lighthouse, and also it sounds like you might be able to see a big concrete Christ statue that's lit up at night. It's just past El Morro fort. Of course, if you're up top for the sailaway, it won't matter that much which side of the ship you're on, as you'll get views on either side of the ship.

As you leave the harbor, the fort (El Morro) is on the starboard side, but after that we sailed west along the coastline and the city and the Malecón were on the port side. We had an aft cabin so it didn't matter.

34190197862_12016d5e78_c.jpg

34307318766_ac07060688_c.jpg

What are we viewing in the 2nd photo? Photos with cameras or your phone? Good job..

The first was with an iPhone 6s, the second with a Canon DSLR. Here is better El Morro picture with the DSLR. You can see everything I took, here.

33537573873_0c69c27528_c.jpg

Edited by pbenjamin

That's the Malecon and heading towards "new" Havana, it will be to the right when sailing into the harbor, and when docked.

Not my pic, but I have several shots the same view.

Thanks. Will view thru own eyes in October.

We had an aft cabin on the Empress 2 weeks ago, and the view was great.

One note- do get up early if you have an early arrival. More than once, we were suggested to get up at 6:45 to see us arrive in Havana. But I was woken at 6am by the lighthouse at El Morro- so we quickly got up, and spent most of the rest of the morning on our balcony.

We were also blessed with the first backing into the port by the Empress. So our view was old Havana, and we could just watch everyone wake up.

Worth spending the money for a JS that is the size of a small normal balcony to see that and the exit view.