Favorite month to cruise Alaska and see Denali

mickeysgal

Just came back from our second Alaska cruise this past May. Our first trip was in May also. Already we are dreaming away and considering booking another Alaska cruise - this one, a one way including Denali. So, what is your favorite month to not only cruise Alaska but to also see Denali...and why?

There are so many other considerations but based on your Denali priority, June. The road into the park will usually be fully open on June 1 with limited service before then. June is also one of the driest months so it would make some sense there would be less clouds but I’m no meteorologist. Denali is only visible about ¼ of the time. If you just want a good view of the mountain, Talkeetna is a better option and only 2+ hours from Anchorage.

There are so many that make Denali the only destination and miss everything in between. If going by train or bus, it takes the better part of two days traveling there and back.

June has drier weather, more snow in the mountains, fast flowing rivers, baby animals. The drawback is that it's too early for salmon runs and therefore bear viewing tours.

So you need to look at your priorities and determine if there are specific peak periods of time for any planned activities.

Instead

For me, it's end of August into Sept, for the magnificent fall colors and aurora. Wildlife are in power feeding mode. Very different experience than earlier. I've entered Denali multiple times in every month. Ideal is a northbound August cruise followed by at least 2 weeks mainland for my priorities. :) I always want the cruise first since the weather drops off more significantly on the inside passage.

• 6 months later...
For me, it's end of August into Sept, for the magnificent fall colors and aurora. Wildlife are in power feeding mode. Very different experience than earlier. I've entered Denali multiple times in every month. Ideal is a northbound August cruise followed by at least 2 weeks mainland for my priorities. :) I always want the cruise first since the weather drops off more significantly on the inside passage.

I know this post is quite old but hoping Budget Queen sees my question. First -- how nice to have that much time to travel !:D:D

You have extensive experience and I've been the recipient of many of your wise pieces of advice -- been on Volendam twice but now it is time for a one way trip and possibly Denali. I am wondering if you use the cruise tour or do you find using an independent tour (meaning you plan your own and book each component separately - not in conjunction with a cruise line) is better?

I just hate the thought of all those motor coaches - and people filing in and out of buses....does not sound like my kind of R&R. Also -- I think we'd enjoy the Denali portion first and a relaxing cruise afterwards.....

So, basically I am asking if you prefer cruise tours or not? If cruise tour, who does it best in YOUR opinion?

Thanks!

Edited by travelingla
spelling correction

I know this post is quite old but hoping Budget Queen sees my question. First -- how nice to have that much time to travel !:D:D

You have extensive experience and I've been the recipient of many of your wise pieces of advice -- been on Volendam twice but now it is time for a one way trip and possibly Denali. I am wondering if you use the cruise tour or do you find using an independent tour (meaning you plan your own and book each component separately - not in conjunction with a cruise line) is better?

I just hate the thought of all those motor coaches - and people filing in and out of buses....does not sound like my kind of R&R. Also -- I think we'd enjoy the Denali portion first and a relaxing cruise afterwards.....

So, basically I am asking if you prefer cruise tours or not? If cruise tour, who does it best in YOUR opinion?

Thanks!

I mainland Alaska travel, always independent. There's no way I want my valuable time spent doing such a limited restrictive schedule like a cruise tour. ;) My travel style. I know people will claim it's their "first time", but, reality is, Alaska is simple to travel. And doesn't take much effort to see plenty. Essential is to know the details and to be able to determine what you want out of your trip. :)

There is a ton of information available here and on Trip Adviser as example. Many raved about reviews.

Enjoy Alaska, just get there. :) :)

I mainland Alaska travel, always independent. There's no way I want my valuable time spent doing such a limited restrictive schedule like a cruise tour. ;) My travel style. I know people will claim it's their "first time", but, reality is, Alaska is simple to travel. And doesn't take much effort to see plenty. Essential is to know the details and to be able to determine what you want out of your trip. :)

There is a ton of information available here and on Trip Adviser as example. Many raved about reviews.

Enjoy Alaska, just get there. :) :)

Thanks so much for once again, taking time to answer a question that must have been posted a million times. We LOVED our RT Vancouver experiences and look forward to a one-way to see a few areas we did not experience the first 2 times. Thanks!

We have always traveled mid August and have had excellent weather. Will be returning this year at the same time. Of course, good weather is never a guarantee.

I'm in Alaska every August, every year as well, and can't say the same. :)

I'm in Alaska every August, every year as well, and can't say the same. :)

Only been there twice so hoping for a three peat. I just hope my luck continues as I was wearing shorts both times in Denali.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, am asking very similar question, I'm torn on when to plump for & hoping for some advise.

I’mplanning a trip this summer, but am having trouble deciding which of2 times to go, as I can see pros & cons to both. I plan to spenda few days in Vancouver, cruise one way, a week or so in Alaska(again travelling in one direction) & a stop over in (probably)Seattle. My two time frames for the Alaska portion of the would bethe 2nd or 3rd week in July & the 1stor 2nd week in September. I was thinking of travellingfrom Vancouver in Jul, but reversing the itinerary in Sept, myreasoning for the latter being I’d be travelling from colder toslightly warmer clime, but am now wondering if that’s such a goodidea. My main interested will be scenery & wildlife & onething I am planning to do is a bear watching trip, probably fromAnchorage. I’d be grateful for any advise.

We were there last July. The weather was great, we saw wildlife and enjoyed the beauty of the park. There unfortunately were several forest fires and we never were able to view Denali.

I guess the majority of visitors never get a glimpse of it and we knew this going in. We had our fingers crossed but it wasn't to be.

It was a wonderful experience regardless. Either way, you will have a great time.

Enjoy!:)

Only been there twice so hoping for a three peat. I just hope my luck continues as I was wearing shorts both times in Denali.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

am hoping to go back this Aug/Sept too! I had damp, but good weather at that time in 2011! The fall colors were amazing, Denali was clear & we had Aurora visible from Talkeetna!

Just came back from our second Alaska cruise this past May. Our first trip was in May also. Already we are dreaming away and considering booking another Alaska cruise - this one, a one way including Denali. So, what is your favorite month to not only cruise Alaska but to also see Denali...and why?

My favorite month is May . When we were there last the temperature was in the high 70's .

Hi, am asking very similar question, I'm torn on when to plump for & hoping for some advise.

I’mplanning a trip this summer, but am having trouble deciding which of2 times to go, as I can see pros & cons to both. I plan to spenda few days in Vancouver, cruise one way, a week or so in Alaska(again travelling in one direction) & a stop over in (probably)Seattle. My two time frames for the Alaska portion of the would bethe 2nd or 3rd week in July & the 1stor 2nd week in September. I was thinking of travellingfrom Vancouver in Jul, but reversing the itinerary in Sept, myreasoning for the latter being I’d be travelling from colder toslightly warmer clime, but am now wondering if that’s such a goodidea. My main interested will be scenery & wildlife & onething I am planning to do is a bear watching trip, probably fromAnchorage. I’d be grateful for any advise.

You have an error in your thinking, I always recommend a northbound cruise in Sept, and doing it first, backing up into very end of August, reason is the weather falls off far more severely inside passage, compared to mainland. Your lack of daylight, is severe, by second week of Sept- 7-7 compared to what it can be.

July would be my preference and getting at least an overnight at Katmai/Lake Clark, my min. is 2 nights. Or consider an end of August, very beginning of Sept, cruise and north.