Reasons for Wifi

Cutequail

It depends on the cruise line, the specific ship and your cell phone carries. For the most part, international roaming plans do not cover cruise ships. They may cover you when you're in port. But on the ship any cellular connectivity is going through the ship's cell infrastructure and that is usually not covered by roaming plans. An AT&T phone on a Carnival ship will be $2.50 a minute for voice and they have no plans that reduce that cost (last I looked, probably nine months ago.) Data and texts are similarly outrageous.

But check with your carrier and your specific ship. Some are better than AT&T and Carnival.

I don't think AT&T operates in the EU?

Work. We have our own business and have to keep in touch. If we couldn't, we'd never go in vacation.

Same! I can make one decision via email or phone and the income difference pays for the cruise.

My phone goes off for 9am mass on Sunday. It's on the rest of the time.

I happened to embark the night of The Sopranos series finale. I was watching on my phone during dinner in the MDR.

I've been fortunate to always cruise with a family member w/free wifi as a loyalty perk, but I'd likely pay for at least some minimal time if that wasn't the case.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I'm not trying to call you out here, but the Sopranos series finale was back in early June 2007, before iPhones were even on the market or there was such a thing as "streaming HBO". Are you sure that's the show you meant?

If so, I'm really curious how you pulled that off from a technical standpoint, since you seem to be implying you were watching it live on a phone.

I'm not trying to call you out here, but the Sopranos series finale was back in early June 2007, before iPhones were even on the market or there was such a thing as "streaming HBO". Are you sure that's the show you meant?

If so, I'm really curious how you pulled that off from a technical standpoint, since you seem to be implying you were watching it live on a phone.

I can't wait to see how this one ends.

BUSTED!

[emoji6] j/k

I had a Slingbox (TV streaming media device) at home and was watching on an HTC 8525, which is a Windows Mobile smartphone. Watching on a Windows PC was possible using the SlingPlayer desktop program, and fortunately there was also Windows Mobile support with SlingPlayer Mobile.

Yeah, watching TV on my phone was a novel thing back then that would occasionally generate intrigue and comments from people that noticed it.

BUSTED!

[emoji6] j/k

I had a Slingbox (TV streaming media device) at home and was watching on an HTC 8525, which is a Windows Mobile smartphone. Watching on a Windows PC was possible using the SlingPlayer desktop program, and fortunately there was also Windows Mobile support with SlingPlayer Mobile.

Yeah, watching TV on my phone was a novel thing back then that would occasionally generate intrigue and comments from people that noticed it.

And actually knew when the end of the Sopranos was.;)

BUSTED!

[emoji6] j/k

Nah, I'm an HTPC (and television) nerd and was genuinely curious. I never did the Sling thing, because at the time they were more relevant I wasn't traveling much, so that was the piece of the puzzle I was missing. I also didn't enter the smartphone market until iPhones came out. So I was really trying to piece together how you could have pulled it off. That actually worked with 2007-era cruise internet bandwidth too?

(I usually cruise solo, and now I just have a Fire stick and a RAV power travel router with a microSD card full of shows for in-room, and other stuff pre-loaded on my phone. But I've mostly cruised the larger NCL ships, which until recently only had barely functioning internet. I have an RCL cruise coming up which should mark the first time I can actually try streaming live stuff.)

That actually worked with 2007-era cruise internet bandwidth too?

Looking back now, I might have been on cell data. I recall the start of the episode and port departure happening around the same time. The stream crapped out about halfway through the show.

(snip)

Please let me be clearer: I posted in the wrong thread, and edited out the content posted in the wrong thread.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Please let me be clearer: I posted in the wrong thread, and edited out the content posted in the wrong thread.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Got it. Happy cruising! [emoji3]

I need to check my email daily, because I am self employed and have no staff to monitor communication from current or potential clients. And I write and post blog entries for my family and friends. That i could do without, but my business concerns won't wait......if I lose my customer service reputation, I'm in trouble.