Cruising Gets Better Everytime

iggyc

Thought it would be fun to see posts on how your cruising has changed through the years.

1st Cruise - interior cabin with two adult and two kids

2nd Cruise - same thing

3rd Cruise- Porthole with two in the cabin

7th Cruise - upgraded to a window

10th Cruise - upgrade to a balcony but Carnival moved us to a Suite - leaving on Saturday - can't wait.

you're just wanting to brag! :D

we started in a balcony, then another balcony, then portholes, or French windows, then back to port holes. I choose the less expensive cabin with window, because I want to cruise more often, go more places and we never spend time in the cabin except to sleep.

what has changed with me over the years cruising- the first cruise as an adult I was worried the whole time, now I just worry about having to leave at the end of the cruise.

the first cruise I didn't participate in any thing, and now I want to do everything.

the more I cruise the more I love it, even if the food isn't gourmet and there are not chocolates on the pillow any more. ( I bring my own, and the DH thinks that carnival still does it).

have a great cruise!

I think for us it's gotten better because I know what we like and don't like; I'm better at picking ships and itineraries and prices.

Instead of looking at specific weeks, I look at longer periods or keep my eye out for special cruises (like the Journey cruises).

We've sailed in interiors, portholes, 4Ks, balconies and coming up a Window Suite on Princess (it all depends on what accessible cabins are available on the ships).

1. Started off with all 4 of us cruising, now it's just me.

2. Used to go once a year, now 2-3 times a year :D

3. Always had to have a balcony, now I realize I don't need that. Inside or OV is just fine. Allows for #2.

4. In the beginning we did cruise line shore excursions. Now I know the best ones aren't and feel comfortable going to outside, reputable vendors or to places on our own. I'm always back in plenty of time so I'm not worried about missing the ship.

5. Didn't have a Passport our first couple cruises. Since then, won't travel without one. The whole family has them no matter if they travel or not.

6. Didn't start buying cruise/trip insurance until about 5 years ago. I am young with no health problems. However, insurance (not through the cruise line) is inexpensive. My "health insurance" (I'll just leave it at that - it's a VERY sore subject) isn't good outside of the US. You never know when an accident might happen or you get sick with no warning. It's not worth it ruining me financially or running the risk of being stranded in a subpar facility overseas. Plus the trip cancellation is a big benefit should I need to cancel. How many times to people cry on here wanting an exception because life happened and now they are out their cruise/air fare? Plenty. No sympathy from me. If you don't feel it's worth it to protect your investment, then you get what's coming to you. Harsh? Nope. Reality.

7. Use Uber instead of taxis. Much nicer and less expensive.

8. Spend less onboard. Used to have buy all the junk on the ship, now I don't need it.

9. Used to overpack. Now I have learned what I will actually wear and have it down to a carry on sized suitcase and and under seat bag. It can be done, ladies and not by necessarily wearing the same thing twice!

10. I finally made Platinum so I don't have to pay for FTTF any more!

We've sailed in interior, ocean view and balcony cabins. With kids, without kids, with friends and just the two of us. From 3 day to 21 day cruises. From no itinerary changes, to ports rearranged, to entire itinerary changed - and loved them all. We have 2 booked now, one in interior cabin (needed a cheap getaway for the 2 of us) and one balcony, traveling with friends.

One thing I know for sure about cruising - you have to go with the flow. I've been on cruises that others have reviewed here - they had a terrible time, sounded like the cruise from hell while we had a great time. I couldn't believe we were on the same ship.

I don't need any more T-shirts.

I can pack in a carry-on for a 7 day cruise now.

First 3 cruises all with family - good times. We've done a couple by ourselves, but mostly with friends. This year planning another family cruise & looking forward to it.

First cruise had a window, next 2, did interior. First cruise alone, did a balcony. Now, we do balcony with one set of friends, as they always want one, interior with another set of friends. We really don't care much about the type of cabin, since we don't spend much time in it anyway.

We pack less & buy less souvenirs than we once did. That being said, I still come home with unworn clothes.

I love to cruise & would go more often if I could. What's funny is we always talk about taking a short cruise out of Galveston since we can easily drive there. However, every time we start looking, we end up with a 7 nighter. Just seems like if we're gonna have to take off work anyway, we may as well make it the full week.

Funny thing is we changed to a balcony this year because family members got inside cabins and my daughter has a 1 year old. I thought the balcony would be nice so that when the baby naps we can sit outside on the balcony. Carnival called and offered a suite so I thought what the heck.clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

My usual is go cheap (I like a window) and use saved money on other things. After this cruise it is back to the cheap seats for us. We only sleep in the room.clear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704

Biggest thing I learned this time is the Allstate cards. We have saved 10% on everything. It brought Cheers cost down $80. Something we have never done but I want to try some top shelf liquors.

Other things I have learned is to research ships and itineraries.