new changes bottom line?

nbhwarrior

Laws changes possible for US citizens because of the speech by the US President.

Unless PM May has some sort of announcement changing the UK's policies for travel in Cuba, you are not affected.

Thanks tommui

I am getting told different things!!!

I arrive to cuba via the US, then i am under the same restrictions as your good self's

Everybody is speculating. I, for one, as a U.S. citizen, am guessing little will change, as it doesn't seem like the man at the top is trying to wipe out everything the previous man at the top did, but instead is just making a couple minor changes to the policy. I don't think cruisers will be affected much, but of course, it's not just what the regulations will say, it's how they will be interpreted by each cruise line. I'm not too worried myself. Hopefully, as a non-American, you'll be free to do as you please.

• 2 weeks later...

Our President could make a change on a whim in a tweet. He did promise the Cuban voters in Florida that he would scale back on Obama's lifting of restrictions. However, I am hoping that the US Tour, cruise, agriculture and manufacturing industries are strong enough to have influence on his decision since US jobs are at stake.

Our President could make a change on a whim in a tweet. .

Actually DJT can tweet as much as he likes BUT no official changes in policy can be made until it is written up and published in the Federal Register. Once it is written, there is a period for public comment - usually 60-days and then it goes back to the drawing board and once it is reviewed and published officially in the Federal Register, it will then have the effect of law.

Of course Congress could intervene and throw the policy out as they are the body that are the official law makers - please note that policy making and law making are two different things. The Executive branch (president) sees that the laws are enforced whereas the Legislative Branch makes the laws. When the President announces a change in policy and it is written up by the Executive branch, reviewed and published, it in effect has the force and effect of law UNLESS the Legislative branch disapproves.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/09/13/2017-19522/continuation-of-the-exercise-of-certain-authorities-under-the-trading-with-the-enemy-act

Take a look at the above link and tell me what this means. It looks to me like trump just extended the existing regulations on visiting Cuba for another year. However, I'm not a legal person, or highly versed on government regulations, so I really don't know.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2017/09/13/2017-19522/continuation-of-the-exercise-of-certain-authorities-under-the-trading-with-the-enemy-act

Take a look at the above link and tell me what this means. It looks to me like trump just extended the existing regulations on visiting Cuba for another year. However, I'm not a legal person, or highly versed on government regulations, so I really don't know.

Thanks for the update. It looks like the travel policy will continue until September, 2018. I am really pleased with the decision. However, with the number of U S businesses that have begun trade with Cuba, I don't think Trump could put us back to the full embargo. Thank goodness he isn't keeping his campaign promise to the hardline Cubans in Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you roothy

Im not expert on UK Law never mind US law lol

So does this mean that we will still be able to book tours ourself and not have to go on the ship tours, and be able to mingle and engage as we please, as long as it is recorded?????

if so Fantastic:D

Thank you roothy

So does this mean that we will still be able to book tours ourself and not have to go on the ship tours, and be able to mingle and engage as we please, as long as it is recorded?????

I honestly don't know, but I would THINK that however your cruise line handles visits to Cuba by Americans NOW would be how they handle visits unless/until something changes. It's possible the man at the top in the U.S. is still hoping to make changes, but needs more time to get the regulations formulated, vetted, and put into place. My personal belief is that cruisers don't have much to worry about, whether the current regulations stay in place or new ones are effected. The changes discussed so far don't seem to affect cruisers much, but instead are focused on individuals going to Cuba on their own (not with a group, whether it be a People to People focused group or a cruise ship).

However, I think the amount of independence a cruiser in Cuba has may depend on how each cruise line interprets and explains the current regulations. I've read that in the past Norwegian Cruise Lines (I think) allowed cruisers to do what they pleased, but had them sign a form indicating they were made aware of the need to keep documentation for times they were on their own. Oceania told passengers they were free to do what they pleased as long as they were aware of regulations. A few months ago someone called Viking Cruises and were told that people must stay on the ship's excursions and could not go off on their own. Going to Cuba is new this year for Viking; maybe they will end up changing that policy once they see other cruise lines aren't requiring the same thing. And no, at least for this year, for the 4 "Cultural Cuba" cruises, they are not doing that as a ploy to get people to buy their excursions. They have offered all their excursions in Cuba at no additional cost to cruisers, since they had to make some major modifications to itinerary. (Presumably Cuba would not allow them to visit Havana this year, so they are going to Cienfuegos instead.) Then again, who knows, maybe if they make everyone stay with the ship excursions groups, they don't need to purchase visas for everyone. I really don't know.

Personally, if I were cruising, I'd ask my cruise line how independent arrangements will be handled, and if I can go on and off the ship at will. I'd book a private tour if it didn't involve pre-payment, a large deposit, or cancellation terms I didn't feel comfortable with. I'd look for early feedback as to what others on your cruise line have experienced around the time you're going, but I'd also remain flexible and realize that things might change.

Edited by roothy123

I think that people here are jumping to incorrect conclusions. By extending the "Trading with the Enemies Act" provisions for Cuba, 45 is simply extending the trade embargo for another year. This has nothing to do with the announced plans to change regulations involving tourism.

http://wp.caribbeannewsnow.com/2017/09/11/as-hurricane-irma-pounded-cuba-trump-renewed-trading-ban/

Thank you roothy

We were in Havana in May on the NCL Sky, we could get off of the ship and do whatever we wanted to do. We did a ships tour on day 1 & our own on day 2. Part of the Visa is an affidavit form that you need to fill out. Nobody asks you if it is filled out on the ship & nobody has asked about ours yet since we have been home. We are suppose to be sailing there next week again.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All

I know its been over 90 days now since Mr Trump made his announcement, any updates or changes yet to travel to cuba from US????

I really have no idea, but other than the fact that he signed an extension of the regs I mentioned above (which includes 12 reasons for travel -- support Cuban people, journalism, etc.-- I haven't seen anything that would indicate any changes. If current U.S. rules and regs are followed, I think any change to the reg he recently extended is required to be preceded by posting in the Federal Register asking for comments before the regulation can be put into effect. I'm thinking a change isn't going to come, if at all, before the majority of Cuba visits occur, which seem to be November through April That is just my opinion, though.

hannibal, if you're following this: did your visit on Sky go the same way your previous visit went, I assume? Were you free to do what you planned to do?

I just returned from cruising to Havana. Enjoyed the visit. Was a simple process. It occurred just as described in other posts in this forum.

I recall reading somewhere that the new rules have been delayed twelve months. If so then things will proceed as they are for the foreseeable future.

I’ll post a review here later.

Cheers

Tom

I really have no idea, but other than the fact thathe signed an extension of the regs I mentioned above (which includes 12 reasons for travel -- support Cuban people, journalism, etc.-- I haven't seen anything that would indicate any changes. If current U.S. rules and regs are followed, I think any change to the reg he recently extended is required to be preceded by posting in the Federal Register asking for comments before the regulation can be put into effect. I'm thinking a change isn't going to come, if at all, before the majority of Cuba visits occur, which seem to be November through April That is just my opinion, though.

hannibal, if you're following this: did your visit on Sky go the same way your previous visit went, I assume? Were you free to do what you planned to do?

No, he did not sign an extension of the existing rules concerning tourism. He signed an extension to the "Trading with the Enemies Act" which is something completely different.

I honestly don't know, but I would THINK that however your cruise line handles visits to Cuba by Americans NOW would be how they handle visits unless/until something changes. It's possible the man at the top in the U.S. is still hoping to make changes, but needs more time to get the regulations formulated, vetted, and put into place. My personal belief is that cruisers don't have much to worry about, whether the current regulations stay in place or new ones are effected. The changes discussed so far don't seem to affect cruisers much, but instead are focused on individuals going to Cuba on their own (not with a group, whether it be a People to People focused group or a cruise ship).

However, I think the amount of independence a cruiser in Cuba has may depend on how each cruise line interprets and explains the current regulations. I've read that in the past Norwegian Cruise Lines (I think) allowed cruisers to do what they pleased, but had them sign a form indicating they were made aware of the need to keep documentation for times they were on their own. Oceania told passengers they were free to do what they pleased as long as they were aware of regulations. A few months ago someone called Viking Cruises and were told that people must stay on the ship's excursions and could not go off on their own. Going to Cuba is new this year for Viking; maybe they will end up changing that policy once they see other cruise lines aren't requiring the same thing. And no, at least for this year, for the 4 "Cultural Cuba" cruises, they are not doing that as a ploy to get people to buy their excursions. They have offered all their excursions in Cuba at no additional cost to cruisers, since they had to make some major modifications to itinerary. (Presumably Cuba would not allow them to visit Havana this year, so they are going to Cienfuegos instead.) Then again, who knows, maybe if they make everyone stay with the ship excursions groups, they don't need to purchase visas for everyone. I really don't know.

Personally, if I were cruising, I'd ask my cruise line how independent arrangements will be handled, and if I can go on and off the ship at will. I'd book a private tour if it didn't involve pre-payment, a large deposit, or cancellation terms I didn't feel comfortable with. I'd look for early feedback as to what others on your cruise line have experienced around the time you're going, but I'd also remain flexible and realize that things might change.

Nice to speculate , but you are not going nor have been to Cuba .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
So heard there has been so legislation in US around to travel to Cuba is the any info what this means to cruising? Or is it to early to say yet?

As have booked cruise already and private tours

Thanks

There is another, newer thread which addresses this. However, my personal opinion is that it's too early to tell how stringently the new rules will be enforced. Also, different cruise lines may have different interpretations of the rules. If you booked your cruise some time ago, however, you may OK, as there is a "grandfathering" clause in the rules.

To find the other thread on this topic, just go back to the beginning of the "Cuba" Port of Call section and look for it - easy to find, and provides a link to the actual federal regulation.