Friends of Bill W??

kitty555

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> While I have seen Patter announcements of Friends of Bob and Bill W. meetings on all of my cruises, I don't ever recall seeing Friends of Dorothy meetings announced (and I would have known what it meant).

While I am not a friend of Dorothy, I am a friend of a friend. (grin) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Friends of Dorothy meetings – and believe me, I’m all about Judy Garland as much as the rest, but the name of these gatherings really needs to be changed – are not standard in the cruise schedule…at least on Princess. They have to be asked for and then scheduled by the Cruise Staff. I have been on trips where there have been no gatherings, and on others where there have been two a week, in the Patter and announced during the daily announcements. Also, there are still some more conservative – and unexplainably popular, I might add - Cruise Directors who will refuse to schedule these gatherings.

-------------------------
Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993

• 8 months later...
I think the cruise lines stick with the Friends of Dorothy name so they can please their gay customers without causing a protest from those who would otherwise object to the gathering. It's very co-dependant of them...

Saw the FOB listing on my lst cruise (Carnival) and my bf (now hubby) explained it was for AA. My mother had once taken me to one of her OA meetings because "as a writer, I should see one." Many of the people there seemed to belong to more than one 12-step group.

When my daughter was 3, she heard some music coming from one of the lounges on the ship we were on (at night, she's a night owl as I am). She pulled us in and then took a seat among all the women there. The pianist (a woman) was playing classic songs such as "My Girl" that the other women were singing along too. My daughter never wondered once why all the songs were about girls. So Tinky Winky really didn't influence her despite what Jerry Falwell claimed!;)

[QUOTE=]As a friend of Dorothy myself, let me just say that the reference is to Dorothy Gale and/or Judy Garland and/or the Stonewall riots that started the day she died. [/QUOTE]

and most people — seem to believe "Dorothy" refers to Dorothy Gale,
from
[url]http://www.thedailypage.com/features/mr-right/archive/managedit.php?intmrrightid=184[/url]

Boy did I make a good of myself once. On was on the Dawn Princess in the bar close to the dining room and asked the bartender for a patter.

I had noticed on a previous cruise these meetings and thought nothing of it thinking it was a company on board.

So I was reading through the patter and burst out hey this Bob and Bill W. group must cruise a lot beacuse they were on my last cruise too!

The bartender and most everyone else looked at me and started laughing, well they clued my into what this was all about. I was quite embarressed to say the least.

[quote name='Schplinky']I think the cruise lines stick with the Friends of Dorothy name so they can please their gay customers without causing a protest from those who would otherwise object to the gathering. It's very co-dependant of them...[/QUOTE]
[font='Comic Sans MS']Princess cruises officially calls these gatherings Friends of Dorothy/Rainbow Get Togethers. There are many in the gay community – the younger generations – who don’t know what Friends of Dorothy mean, so using the acronym doesn’t do much for the gay clientele…but I’m sure there’d be an outcry from a number of passengers if they knew that gay people were on board the ship.[/font]

[quote name='bdjam']/Rainbow Get Togethers. [/QUOTE]

The ubiquitous gay pride symbol
from
[url]http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Cafe/1017/lexicon.html#rainbow[/url]

ubiquitous, Being or seeming to be everywhere at the same time;
from
[url]http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=ubiquitous[/url]

rainbow coalition
from
[url]http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/encyclopaedia/hutchinson/m0019585.html[/url]

[quote name='bdjam'][font=Comic Sans MS]Princess cruises officially calls these gatherings Friends of Dorothy/Rainbow Get Togethers. There are many in the gay community – the younger generations – who don’t know what Friends of Dorothy mean, so using the acronym doesn’t do much for the gay clientele…but I’m sure there’d be an outcry from a number of passengers if they knew that gay people were on board the ship.[/font][/QUOTE]

If they put all the gay people off the ship, they'd have to have a job fair while in port because there would be a lot of staff missing...

[QUOTE=Cruisin' Chick]Okay, I'll bite. Jean N.?[/QUOTE]
Jean Nidetch.....the founder of Weight Watchers. Think of the money the cruise lines would save if they had passengers that stuck to the program while onboard. Portion control and all....

• 11 months later...
[quote name='RobertW707']The "Friends of Bill" meetings during the cruise are in fact real AA meetings. I have been on cruises where only two of us show up for a meeting, and at other times, have over 20 people. AA is a way of life for me on shore, so see no reason why it should not be a way of life for me when on a cruise. We have a saying that in order to have a meeting, all we need is "Two people, a coffee pot, and a resentment".[/QUOTE]
Great comment,,I am proud to say that my wife has been a Friend of Bill's for 17 years now..and we would not go on a cruise that did not have a place for her to go and meet..it is a way of life for us..we will be in Venice 6 days precruise and we have already lined up a local FOB's meeting for her to attend..she is brushing up on her Italian btw.

Michael, I really appreciate your comment, especially. I have been a Friend of Bill W for 9 years, but I never go to the meetings on the ships I've been on. I don't attend meetings daily anymore because for me they are not a necessity. But what you reminded me of is that we FOBs are not supposed to go to meetings just for ourselves, but for others. That is an aspect I need to always keep in mind, so I thank you for reminding me.

I'm sailing on the Grand on April 15, 2006, from Galveston to Rome, so there will be 19 meetings I can attend, and maybe, if I am very blessed, I can help relieve the suffering of a fellow alcoholic and meet some new friends.

Thank you again for reminding me. Have a wonderful time on your upcoming trips!

I can see why friends of Bill W. would be vital on a cruise ship environment. The expectation is that you drink, drink, drink! I was once a heavy drinker, but I quit 3 years ago on my own. The only time I had a relapse was on a trip to Europe with a group who drank a lot. Although I have never been to an AA meeting, I plan to check out Friends of Bill W. on my upcoming first-time cruise on CB. I think I will need the support. I'm afraid the cruise environnment will make me feel like I'm the only person in the world who isn't drinking!

Just a quick comment. The temptation to drink for us in the AA club can really be severe for someone in a cruise ship atmosphere. Especially if your new at it. These friends of Bill W. meetings are not only there to help keep people on the wagon but it's a greet way to meet people on a cruise.

I'm to the point it doesn't bother me anymore to set at table where the wine flows, but it's nice to hang out with folks that don't. There is a lot of people in this world that don't drink for a lot of reasons. It's not a big deal to not drink, well some times it is for the cruise line that gets pushy selling it.

Cruising for me is somewhat cheaper now for some strange reason.

Yes, Chip, life for me in general is much cheaper now that I'm getting the no-alcohol discount! An unexpected benefit, especially when dining out. :) Between that and the money I'm saving by quitting smoking 6 or 7 years ago, I should be able to afford a cruise every month. Lol!

Michael, Deb214.. Thank you for reminding me that my AA meetings are not only for my benefit but the opportunity to share with others may help them through a rough time.
I will attend some "Bill W." meetings on our cruise to Hawaii in April, even though after 38 years continued sobriety I get somewhat complacent at times. (I quit drinking when I was eight...:p )

A Joke.... A funeral is being carried out at the cemetary. A widow is crying as her deceased husband is being lowered into his grave...
A man goes over to offer his deepest sympathy to the widow and, as he was curious, he asked how her husband died...:confused: She replied "alcohol did it!!, alcohol killed him"!!..:( . The man replied "did he not try AA"?
To which the widow said...."he wasn't that bad" !!:) :p

Have a good day... "one day at a time"

Friends of Bill is very important. Having these meetings is very helpful. A cruise is high pressure on the drinking. Some people would not cruise if they did not have these meetings.
On FOD, our last cruise they had daily meetings. It was in the patter. Their meetings were at a pool on the aft deck. I think that is nice also. It is good the ships try to meet the needs of their passengers.

I thank all of you for reminding me how special AA friends can be..I can't wait for my wife to get home tonight so I can share this with her. That $27.00 coke card sure goes along way!! And the money we save..bling bling for the DW..

I was trying to find a FOB special interest thread for my wife on CC, without success, I found everything from family to Single to Gay and Lesbian threads..so I have contacted CC and asked them to add a special Interest thread for FOB. Their comment was they would really have to think about it..I took that as a very positive comment, and I replied that I sincerely hope they do.

I've been on 4 cruises since I got out of the hospital (with all my organs intact, surprisingly). I go to the FOB meetings daily on all but this month's Tahitian Princess. There were only 3 of us who ever showed up the first 3 days, so we decided to just see each other when we needed. Can do that with only 670 passengers!!:)

I've been the one who needed others there and the one who was there for others. Plus, just knowing some sober faces from time to time can be a great relief, just knowing I'm not alone.:D

I've even gotten the desk to change the locations and times based on a group conscience. They'll be accomodating and put it in the Patter. One of the best places is in the wedding chapels. The doors are stained glass, no worry about prying eyes. :cool: And very quiet.

I have read a lot of good things in this post on Bill W. When we first started cruising I was really worried about the fact of not being able to go to meetings especially with all the flow of alcohol. So, I did just what was done here. I posted whether there we meetings on the ship and was happy to find there were everyday.
I have met many great people in the rooms on these cruises and still keep in touch with some of these people. We have even had crew members at some of these meetings which is good. One person told me that they have their own meetings but can get more with strangers.
One cruise I recall a person from OE and another person from GA. They still use the basic twelve steps as we do in AA. I also always bring my big book with me on a cruise or any trip and we have used it in these meetings on board the ship. We have all learned that we can still have fun and enjoy these cruises because I know (and I'm sure we all do) that I have a backup such as meetings and fellow passengers in case things start to get crazy. Happy Joyous and Free for 17 years.

You know what's sad...I have a sister in law that is a friend of Bill W and she is all alone since her husband died 2 years ago...my husband and I took her on a cruise (this is his sister) and she never even bothered to look into the meetings....I don't get it...this is such a wonderful world and all this is available...I hope some day she picks up the ball and runs with it. God bless all...who do! You are courageous people!

[quote name='RevSmith']You know what's sad...I have a sister in law that is a friend of Bill W and she is all alone since her husband died 2 years ago...my husband and I took her on a cruise (this is his sister) and she never even bothered to look into the meetings....I don't get it...this is such a wonderful world and all this is available...I hope some day she picks up the ball and runs with it. God bless all...who do! You are courageous people![/QUOTE]

It has been my experience that Friends of Bill W are never alone, unless they choose to be so..

Archived