Cruising with a 1 year old

Megancro

I'm looking for some tips for traveling on a cruise with a 1yo baby. We will be going on the Allure next year. Stroller suggestions, car seat for airplane, toys to keep her occupied. should I bring a suitcase full of diapers or just have the ship deliver them to room? Any tips, ideas, suggestions are welcome.

I would also suggest posting on the Royal Caribbean board with questions specific to the Allure.

You may find it cheaper to take diapers with you rather than having RC deliver them to your cabin. Plus you know exactly what brand you like, etc. I wouldn't risk a problem with something so important. Have heard many people discuss packing separately in one of those fold-up type tote bags or a gym bag. Not taking up any room in regular suitcase, and you have an extra bag for souvenirs, if needed.

If you don't want to take on board plane, easy to shop prior to sailing. Also, weight-wise pick up things like wipes, any other baby stuff, after flight.

You might also think about bringing a small inflatable bathtub for your little one if you are staying in a cabin with a shower only.

We traveled with my son when he was one, and it was great. As far as the stroller, we took a easy collapsible stroller that came in very handy. It did the trick and he was fine. We also purchased for general use a backpack that we used in place of a diaper bag. This came in very useful not just in life but for the cruise. Easy, compact, multiple uses, totally awesome. In fact, I still use it today. The other thing we discovered, the dining room didn't work for us. The food takes a little longer, when you can go to an open seating buffet and its a lot less stressful. By the end of the cruise, there were a lot of families taking advantage of this type of seating.

I think the dining room is easier...you will be served without having to juggle baby AND plates!

Remember that children (or adults!) in diapers will not be allowed in ANY pool. Try to choose a ship with a "baby splash pad" if that's important to you.