Best vacation?

cruiseman111111

My ideal vacation is one where I don't cook, do dishes, make the bed, go to work or have to set an alarm. I love cruising because it doesn't make me "think" too much. I hate deciding on what to do each day, where to go for dinner, etc. On a ship it is all pretty simple....sigh....35 days till the Star...

I would suggest that "the everything included aspect" is a bit of a stretch of the imagination, considering what most people's end of cruise bill looks like....including the costs of that soda sticker which we all enjoy:D

..and if everything is included, as in some cruises, the suggestion of "low cost" becomes very subjective.

Having said that, I am sure many here would agree that cruising is "one" of the best vacations.

(putting flameproof suit on) :D

My favorite vacation is--ta da--not a cruise. It's a land stay of a week or more in a city in Europe, where I can explore it in depth and at length. I like cathedrals, museums, cemeteries, going to the opera or symphony, strolling along old streets, sitting at a cafe, shopping in the local markets, getting to know the flavor of a neighborhood. Can I do that on a cruise? Well, some of it, of course, but on a more limited basis. Of course, the cruise offers the advantage of a new place every day, not having to pack and unpack, etc.

OTOH, there are some places I wouldn't visit if not on a cruise. Alaska comes to mind. I'm not an outdoors/wilderness person, and I think that a cruise would be the perfect way for me to see Alaska.

To date all my cruises have been to the Caribbean, and obviously I enjoy the experience :) and as you can see I have another one coming up next year :cool: . We were going to do Alaska next summer but my employer has other plans for me :(, so I had to change my vacation dates. The Mediterranean, especially the Greek Islands, and Alaska are definitely in the works for us, maybe in 2007 & 2008.

What is your favorite European destination? We saw some fabulous places on the Travel Channel this morning (France). What is the coolest place to stay for about a week?

Not to turn this into an Europe travel board :) ... but for me, Paris wins hands down. Rome, Florence, London, Barcelona, Madrid are other biggies. I haven't been to Prague or Vienna, or any of the myriad other destinations that I'd love to visit. But Parisis my dream destination, hands down.

The best resource I've found for European travel is Fodor's, both the printed guides (yes, even in the age of the internet I buy actual books --easier to carry around than a laptop :D ) and the fodors.com travel boards.

Thanks for asking! :)

Hi ama, I just wish I was rich enough to go on a land vac & spend, spend, spend.

Jim

Yeah, I'm sure it must be nice to be able to do that. Not that I would know, but I can always dream.

And just a petty little thing, if you could indulge me: my name is Amapola, not ama. Thanks!

Oh, and to turn this BACK to a cruise topic, my cousin was on a Celebrity (I think) cruise this summer in the Med and raved about Croatia. It's probably not a place I would think of visiting on my own (though I don't know enough about it), but sounds perfect as a cruise stop.

Back to our regularly scheduled program now :) .

My ideal vacation is one where I don't cook, do dishes, make the bed, go to work or have to set an alarm. I love cruising because it doesn't make me "think" too much. I hate deciding on what to do each day, where to go for dinner, etc. On a ship it is all pretty simple....sigh....35 days till the Star...

You said it all!:)

I would suggest that "the everything included aspect" is a bit of a stretch of the imagination, considering what most people's end of cruise bill looks like....including the costs of that soda sticker which we all enjoy:D

..and if everything is included, as in some cruises, the suggestion of "low cost" becomes very subjective.

I agree, the "everything included" comment about cruising is a persistent myth and doesn't present a true picture of the real costs. Cruising is a great value for the money and has its advantages and disadvantages. Low-cost? Hardly. It's still a luxury vacation, and that little plastic card can allow you to run up some significant charges if you aren't paying attention.

• 4 weeks later...
My ideal vacation is one where I don't cook, do dishes, make the bed, go to work or have to set an alarm. I love cruising because it doesn't make me "think" too much.

The comic in me suggests that if you were a man that might describe every day. :D Not in my house, however. I did dishes today and regularly do chores. So for some men only.

My new favorite is the trip to Greece I just won!!!!!!

A great trip coming up and the best Christmas present I ever got!!!!!

PS. MoneyGuy, In our house I do the cooking (yup, a guy does the feeding... I'm good at it, like it and there's no heavy lifting!)

Archived