Live from the stunning Crystal Bach

goldengatecruisers

More great photos, you are doing a brilliant job as a reporter at large and I'm sure those with upcoming bookings will be very grateful for your efforts....

Anne...

I know I am very grateful to Ashley for all the wonderful information and pictures. But it makes waiting another 33 days before boarding the Bach very difficult!

Phyllis

Yummmm - did the Executive Chef serve up the portions!

Crystal Society Party in Palm Court! Caviar "Bach style".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you remember how many voyages the top cruiser on the voyage had done.

It an comes down to about 20-30 or so voyages with none of the four ladies on board compared with the Symphony or the Serenity.

Great isn't it?? They did the same on the Mozart and there was plenty for seconds, thirds, etc. etc.. ����

Anne..

Same on mine Mozart cruises. However, someone else who sailed in 2017 said that the extra portions available had reduced. I will let you know in two weeks time.

We certainly had several extra portions thanks to the wonderful staff who kept supplying us with caviar. Yes, Chef Matthias Pape served the caviar. It was a lovely event albeit not as grand as the party on the Serenity and Symphony. The top cruiser had 32 voyages and they also honored another cruiser with 20+ voyages. Our Crystal Society Hostess Christina stated the number of days on board for these recognized passengers and then followed up with number of cruises. We only have 16 with Crystal but many more with other lines. I think we are a long way off from being recognized at a Society party. Dinner tonight was another fabulous event. Later tonight Mark Farris will perform his cabaret show which we are all excited to attend. I will take some photos and post later before retiring.

Ashley: Your writing style and your photography are both outstanding! As we are scheduled to embark September 30 on the Mahler, we were in the same position you were in, eagerly awaiting information about the new generation of Crystal River, but we didn't hear anything from the initial voyage of the Bach. However, you have come in and filled a need by not only providing some information, but doing it so thoroughly. You have answered many of my previous questions just by your daily comments. Truly, Crystal should reward you for providing this service!

A question: My cabin will be on deck 3, about mid-ship. As a light sleeper, will it be quiet at night? I see there is a canopy above us on deck 4.

Another question: In addition to being a light sleeper, I love to overeat at dinner. Is there any issue if I choose 2 or 3 appetizers, in addition to the main course? :o

Again, many thanks for your fabulous blog!

skybluewaters - Thank you for the very nice comments about my writing. My pleasure to provide information to fellow cruise enthusiasts. You will really enjoy your upcoming sailing. I am sure you are counting down the days. In the hopes of giving you some reassurance our cabin is also on deck 3 (#320) and we have not experienced a noise issue whatsoever. Occasionally in the night you will hear the river boat entering and going through the locks but I don't think you need to worry about any disturbance from the Vista Deck (deck 4). The canopy you mention and the bar on Vista Deck are often lowered at night so that when we pass through locks or under a low bridge they will not interfere. When the canopy is lowered it essentially covers up the seating area (sofas, chairs, tables) so that passengers can not use this area to sit and relax. Some times in the day time it is also lowered depending on whether we have to deal with low bridges or not. I hope that helps.

As for over-eating at dinner. I have not idea what you are referring to :eek: LOL. I can tell you with confidence that YES you can order whatever you want and it will be delivered graciously and you will enjoy every morsel. I myself have ordered more than one appetizer and the other evening I ordered my main course with the protein component of another as a side dish. I think it is a common occurrence when there are so many wonderful options on the menu. I would not give it a second thought.

Mark Farris put on a wonderful show last night with most of the ships passengers in attendance. I have to prepare for a tour right now but I will do a write up of his performance when I get back. I also have some lovely photos from the show also to share with you all. Kelly and Mary from Columbus, I forgot to let you know that I did give your very best to Mark after you asked me to do so. I realized I hadn't closed the loop with you.

The Mark Farris Cabaret was well attended last evening and for those of you who are familiar with Mark's style of entertaining you will know that he puts on a very personal and enjoyable show. It is like he is playing just for you. While the Bach Palm Court does not have the ambience of the Avenue Saloon on board the ocean ships it lends itself to a different kind of intimacy.

The opening starts with a funny video of Mark on the Esprit being called to the Bach and he races off the yacht and magically appears running into the Bach Palm Court, suitcase in hand. To the tune of Chariots of Fire our favorite Crystal entertainer settles into his 'office' to begin what he does best - playing the piano, engaging his audience and taking us on a journey with his singing and his narration. He manages to keep such amazing facts and figures at the tip of his tongue to both impress and inform us of the music we are to enjoy.

We are treated to a rare 'duet' of "It Had To Be You" from personal family video footage where we are introduced to Mark's family.

Then he switches gear and plays tribute through music and commentary to the ladies of Crystal, namely the Godmother's for the ships past and present, the yacht and the river boats. Starting with Mary Tyler Moor (Harmony), Dame Angela Lansbury (Symphony), Dame Julie Andrews (Serenity), Lady Gaenor Meakes (Esprit), Elisabeth Gurtler (Mozart) and Anna Maria Kaufman (Bach). Photos of all the Godmother's appear on the television screens on either side of the piano.

He deliberately talks about Dame Julie Andrews at the end which allows him the perfect segway into The Sound of Music. Not just any Sound of Music but a Sing-A-Long event along with lyrics which were passed around to the guests. Everyone was in fine song and accompanied Mark as he speedily ran through the entire movie providing his comical interpretations of this classic musical movie. All the while the keys on the piano never stopped. He didn't miss a beat in inviting two guests to the stage donned in make-shift nun's habits to perform "Do-Re-Mi" and encourage audience participation.

At the conclusion of the Sing-A-Long he gave us a brief history of Rogers and Hammerstein and then he asked audience members to shout out some of their favorite Broadway musicals. From there he jumped into medleys from Phantom of the Opera, Jersey Boys and The Lion King. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed his energetic performance and with night caps in hand they wandered back to their suites. Some of us stayed up a little later and Mark joined us at the bar.

It was one of those fabulous Crystal nights where you feel the connection to fellow guests and certainly to Mark. He has this innate ability to make us all feel 'family'. In true Mark Farris style he ended the evening showcasing his amazing memory and personally thanked each and every guest as he played himself out.... "Good night Singapore", "Good night Brazil", "Good night Spain", "Good night Long Island", "Good Night Maryland", "Good Night Dallas" etc. and then he turned to us and said "Good Night San Francisco".

Edited by goldengatecruisers

Memories of the Mozart - Mark's Sound of Music sing-a-long, and my favourite lunch (at Blue on the Mozart) the flatbread with 'extra' Serano ham - not to mention a cold beer!!! I'm feeling quite homesick and wish I was there with you all...

Anne....

That cheeseburger looks delicious ! Does the ship have a grill for lunch and/or dinner like on the Mozart ? If not, can you always get grill items like cheeseburgers, fries etc at the bistro or in the alternative, have room service deliver it to the bistro or to palm court or the observation deck ?

Also, does the Bach have daily high tea in the palm court like on the ocean ships ?

Thanks and continue to enjoy !

Mark leaves for vacation at the end of this next voyage. Sadly you will miss him.

I'm sorry to hear that. He always adds to our enjoyment of Crystal cruises. Does he (or you) happen to know who will be replacing him (although he is "irreplaceable")?

Have you used the laundry at all? Could you post a picture and let us know your experience, if any, with it. If it is usable like the ocean ships, it will affect how much I bring with me for the cruise. Also, would be interested in what the spa/gym areas look like. Thanks

Phyllis

Good morning all and thank you for the most recent posts and questions. Just having my coffee en-suite as we sail up the river toward Nijmegen, Netherlands. Today is another e-bike tour and how lucky are we to have been offered so many on this voyage. I will answer the questions and then try and get photos of the laundry and gym a little later today to show you. Sorry for forgetting those areas in my initial posts.

Justthetwoofus - I have not used the gym at all. For my personal fitness I have been swimming in the endless pool (it has a swim machine which offers resistance allowing you to swim against the current and 'stay in place'. It is ideal for smaller swimming pools and the Bach has one of these installed and provides a great workout). Additionally I will go for run when we are docked with my running partner who just happens to be Mark Farris.

The laundry room is small with two washing machines and two tumble dryers. Personally I would have loved to have seen three but we only have so much space on board and a larger laundry would eat into the space assigned for the gym. Crystal has installed Miele brand machines and they have small drums so be prepared to do multiple small loads as opposed to saving up your washing and doing a bigger one. We have used it a few times and like the ocean ships it can be hit/miss depending on the time of day as to whether you have an open machine or have to come back. Pressing is complimentary on board so I do the washing, fold up the things that can be folded and put away and then send out dress shirts, shorts etc. to the butler for pressing. It has worked out nice for us. If you don't want to do your own laundry Crystal can take care of that for you but my understanding is they have to send it off the ship to a local company in town.

zship - there is no 'Trident Grill' to speak of but you can order the burger with or without cheese as a room service item or at the Bistro. I am sure if you asked for a burger for dinner they would make it and deliver it to Waterside also. There has been no offering of afternoon tea on board Bach but you have to remember you are in areas where 'coffee and cake' are a common pastime in the afternoon. The locals are always in the cafes sharing conversation over a nice piece of cake and a coffee and this carries over into the offerings on board Bach. I personally feel that a traditional afternoon tea like on Symphony/Serenity would somehow feel out of place. However, you can certainly enjoy one of many delicious teas on board by a European company called Julius Meinl and put together your own afternoon tea and enjoy it in the Palm Court. The only thing missing would be the scones with jam and cream. Julius Meinl is the supplier for all of the coffee and the tea on board and has been excellent from the capsules and machine in each suite to the full service in the Bistro, bar and restaurant.

Ashley