I need something new in Roatan

mitsugirly

I'm confused. Are you saying they are certified PADI divers that will take us diving where we want to go? When I looked at their website briefly, it looked like a tour company to take you to see the sites around Roatan. Am I wrong?

No, sorry for the confusion. They aren't certified but they can design an excursion to include diving with a certified instructor if that's what you want to do. Like I said, they are very accommodating. Just an FYI though, pretty much every resort in the area will have certified divers there to take you out on the reef.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Forums mobile app

No, sorry for the confusion. They aren't certified but they can design an excursion to include diving with a certified instructor if that's what you want to do. Like I said, they are very accommodating. Just an FYI though, pretty much every resort in the area will have certified divers there to take you out on the reef.

So then sorry, but I'm even more confused now. Why would I need a third party to do this for me when I can coordinate directly with the dive shop myself? (I know third parties don't work for free and will charge a little more for something that you could pay a lower price for yourself...just like booking with a cruise line you are going to pay double or triple the amount of doing it on your own).

Don't take this the wrong way or negative...I'm just trying to understand the benefit of using this person. :)

So then sorry, but I'm even more confused now. Why would I need a third party to do this for me when I can coordinate directly with the dive shop myself? (I know third parties don't work for free and will charge a little more for something that you could pay a lower price for yourself...just like booking with a cruise line you are going to pay double or triple the amount of doing it on your own).

Don't take this the wrong way or negative...I'm just trying to understand the benefit of using this person. :)

I understand where you're coming from and agree, if you're only interested in going on a dive excursion and aren't looking to see or do anything else, then booking your excursion through a dive company is fine. Mostly I just encourage people to book through the locally owned and operated excursion businesses because the locals there make little to nothing off the excursions booked through the cruise ships. Since I know these guys personally, I trust them and I know they don't price gouge. They provide a personalized experience and will bend over backwards to make your day in Roatan an amazing experience.

Hi Mitsugirly,

Wow, someone is really trying to push that tour company. Anyhow, I know you are trying to find something on West Bay Beach so here is another suggestion. Try http://www.hammerheadscuba.com/ This is a newer dive shop that have good reviews. We were in there last year and it's a nice little shop with brand new everything. Seem like nice people and I noticed they have a bubble maker course on their website for $50.

So you're familiar with West Bay Beach.....they are located at the opposite end from Infinity Bay just past Beacher's and Foster's. It's a new construction wooden building that juts out onto the water. Perhaps you'll have some luck with them.

Hi Mitsugirly,

Wow, someone is really trying to push that tour company. Anyhow, I know you are trying to find something on West Bay Beach so here is another suggestion. Try http://www.hammerheadscuba.com/ This is a newer dive shop that have good reviews. We were in there last year and it's a nice little shop with brand new everything. Seem like nice people and I noticed they have a bubble maker course on their website for $50.

So you're familiar with West Bay Beach.....they are located at the opposite end from Infinity Bay just past Beacher's and Foster's. It's a new construction wooden building that juts out onto the water. Perhaps you'll have some luck with them.

I didn't mean to come across as pushy. I'm trying to help my friend who lives there. I've known Javier since he was 19 when I met him while in port in Roatan. He's a good kid, 25 now and has been working on a cruise ship for the last year and a half. He's trying to start a business at home so he doesn't have to be away for 6-9 months at a time.

Hi Ibamie, that's good to know. I prefer to book with those trying to start out and grow their tourism business, it's hard work and it's a competitive business. We go to Roatan often and I'll certainly keep him mind for myself our other friends there.

Hi Mitsugirly, Lol!, we're running out of options of West Bay Beach. Here is one more.....Paradise Beach Hotel on West Bay Beach just down from IB. My nephew stayed there last year and had nothing but good things to say about their dive shop. http://blueplanetroatan.com/home/4591779895 I didn't see a bubble maker course on their website but you could check.

Hi Ibamie, that's good to know. I prefer to book with those trying to start out and grow their tourism business, it's hard work and it's a competitive business. We go to Roatan often and I'll certainly keep him mind for myself our other friends there.

Thank you. I agree it's very competitive and it doesn't help that the ships will warn people to not go outside of the port, implying they won't be safe if they do. In Mahogany Bay, the locals have to stay way downhill from the port and they're lucky if they get any business at all. Most of the people you see inside the port are actually from mainland Honduras. Carnival won't even hire the locals to work inside the port. So very little of the tourism money actually gets to the locals. [emoji20]

I understand where you're coming from and agree, if you're only interested in going on a dive excursion and aren't looking to see or do anything else, then booking your excursion through a dive company is fine. Mostly I just encourage people to book through the locally owned and operated excursion businesses because the locals there make little to nothing off the excursions booked through the cruise ships. Since I know these guys personally, I trust them and I know they don't price gouge. They provide a personalized experience and will bend over backwards to make your day in Roatan an amazing experience.

Trust me, I completely understand about booking with the locals and giving them our business. I do this 99% of the time. I will ALWAYS book with a local and not the cruise lines inflated rates where the money always goes in their pockets (unless there's something that I just absolutely can not do on my own due to time restraints, location or other factors). :)

Hi Mitsugirly,

Trust me, I can relate to (I wouldn't really use the term "pushing", but more or less passionate) this. I have gone a lot of places and done a lot of things in port. When there's something that you find that is just so good, you want to tell everyone about it. Sometimes people may feel that I might appear a little pushy about Little French Key in Roatan. It's just that amazing and beautiful there to me. So I constantly mention it to everyone. No worries though I appreciate everyone's help, even if it's not exactly what I'm looking for at the moment. Sometimes this information can be used at a later visit. :)

I will definitely check into hammerheads. I think I have contacted another 3 more places referred and awaiting a return email from them as well. Hopefully something will work out.

I didn't mean to come across as pushy. I'm trying to help my friend who lives there. I've known Javier since he was 19 when I met him while in port in Roatan. He's a good kid, 25 now and has been working on a cruise ship for the last year and a half. He's trying to start a business at home so he doesn't have to be away for 6-9 months at a time.

Totally understandable. No worries. I appreciate the info and will keep all suggestions in mind for future visits. :)

Trust me, I completely understand about booking with the locals and giving them our business. I do this 99% of the time. I will ALWAYS book with a local and not the cruise lines inflated rates where the money always goes in their pockets (unless there's something that I just absolutely can not do on my own due to time restraints, location or other factors). :)

Lol sorry for sounding pushy earlier. I just want to help my friend get his business up and running. He's a good kid, about a year older than my own son so he's become like my adopted child. If you know anyone going to Roatan who just wants a day doing whatever, please recommend them. They really are awesome.

Trust me, I can relate to (I wouldn't really use the term "pushing", but more or less passionate) this. I have gone a lot of places and done a lot of things in port. When there's something that you find that is just so good, you want to tell everyone about it. Sometimes people may feel that I might appear a little pushy about Little French Key in Roatan. It's just that amazing and beautiful there to me. So I constantly mention it to everyone. No worries though I appreciate everyone's help, even if it's not exactly what I'm looking for at the moment. Sometimes this information can be used at a later visit. :)

I will definitely check into hammerheads. I think I have contacted another 3 more places referred and awaiting a return email from them as well. Hopefully something will work out.

Totally understandable. No worries. I appreciate the info and will keep all suggestions in mind for future visits. :)

Thanks [emoji5]

Hi Mitsugirly, Lol!, we're running out of options of West Bay Beach. Here is one more.....Paradise Beach Hotel on West Bay Beach just down from IB. My nephew stayed there last year and had nothing but good things to say about their dive shop. http://blueplanetroatan.com/home/4591779895 I didn't see a bubble maker course on their website but you could check.

I know right.

Here's my current list:

West Bay Divers-NO (closed)

Mayan-No (nothing for the kids offered and expensive)

Bananarama-recommended by WBD-emailed

Roatan Divers-emailed

Hammerhead

Paradise Beach Hotel

Tobri Divers-recommended by WBD

Thanks [emoji5]

Just to update, I talked to Javier and Arnie this evening and they are adding dive tours through one of the dive shops. Please check out the site soon and you will see the addition. I just let them know that people were interested and they started working on it.

Well, here's my update...I don't seem to be getting too far with this and getting discouraged.

Mayan-No (nothing for the kids offered and expensive-they did come back and say they could "put together" a dive...even though their website stated they had bubblemakers, for the kids to dive in A POOL to 6 feet. Are you serious??? Even their scuba classes go to 12 feet in the pool)

Bananarama-recommended by WBD-emailed-reply said someone would contact the "divers" and for the 1 person that won't be diving, we needed to call to make a reservation. So, still waiting on info from them.

Roatan Divers-emailed-I received the longest email every from them, that seems to be somewhat generic to everyone. But they did say they could do a bubble maker class IN THE OCEAN to 6' for the little ones and since we are "certified" we would do a boat dive. :rolleyes: Discover Scuba=not certified...so I emailed back and inquired about a shore dive.

*Also, they dive at Half Moon Bay* Any info on this place? Is it comparable to West Bay?

Hammerhead-haven't heard from yet.

Paradise Beach Hotel-Blue Planet-Haven't heard from yet.

Tobri Divers-recommended by WBD-Don't see anything on their website about DSD or BM

Just to update, I talked to Javier and Arnie this evening and they are adding dive tours through one of the dive shops. Please check out the site soon and you will see the addition. I just let them know that people were interested and they started working on it.

I have to say I'm surprised you had to tell them to add diving tours. Roatan is a big diving destination. A tour business is something that's built up over time

They will need to spend at least a couple of hours every single day marketing themselves going to Resorts handing out brochures and buying ads on Google. Tours that other people don't offer will be another Niche for them to fill. Birding and cave exploring are just a couple of ideas.

Well, here's my update...I don't seem to be getting too far with this and getting discouraged.

Mayan-No (nothing for the kids offered and expensive-they did come back and say they could "put together" a dive...even though their website stated they had bubblemakers, for the kids to dive in A POOL to 6 feet. Are you serious??? Even their scuba classes go to 12 feet in the pool)

Bananarama-recommended by WBD-emailed-reply said someone would contact the "divers" and for the 1 person that won't be diving, we needed to call to make a reservation. So, still waiting on info from them.

Roatan Divers-emailed-I received the longest email every from them, that seems to be somewhat generic to everyone. But they did say they could do a bubble maker class IN THE OCEAN to 6' for the little ones and since we are "certified" we would do a boat dive. :rolleyes: Discover Scuba=not certified...so I emailed back and inquired about a shore dive.

*Also, they dive at Half Moon Bay* Any info on this place? Is it comparable to West Bay?

Tobri Divers-recommended by WBD-Don't see anything on their website about DSD or BM

Ooh, WBD -Closed!!!! That's not good.

Half Moon Bay is up at West End. That's were most of the dive shops are or were, whereas West Bay is the toes in the sand area. Here's a link.

http://roatanhalfmoonresort.com/

Hi Mitsugirly,

Hang in there for the other shops, maybe they'll have something. Slow replies are pretty common in Roatan. Not sure if that's island time or just the unreliable and crappy internet.

Here's one more I thought of, Las Rocas Resort. It's at the very end of West Bay Beach. If you go past Beachers you get to that boardwalk that goes in front of that Mansion house, that are now upscale condos. Anyway keep going and you'll see Bite on the Beach restaurant and just past there is Los Rocas, and easy few minutes walk from Beachers. It's kind or a cute/rustic resort but their dive shop has a loyal following. Not to mention the restaurant there is pretty good. Once you walk past there you are on the way to West End. Anyhow, perhaps send them a note and see if they can set you up.

http://www.lasrocasresort.com/

Half Moon Bay is up at West End. That's were most of the dive shops are or were, whereas West Bay is the toes in the sand area. Here's a link.

Crewsweeper........I believe Mitsugirly mentioned earlier that West Bay Divers is closed for vacation, not permanently :)

I stayed in Roatan lat 2 years for a 10 day stay and Cleve Bodden took us on an amazing island tour including snorkeling if you ask.

He is very reasonable and will take you through the island and give you the history of his country.

He is on F B Cleve's tours and adventures and you can message him.

We stayed above Beachers and ate at all the local places just mentioned.

By the way, off shore snorkeling means you walk in from shore.

West Bay has the best as the reef is right there!

All the way to the left towards the rocks jetting out is where the maze of reef is.

We also took boat rides with West Bay diving center for only $5pp and went snorkeling while the divers dove. We did this several times seeing turtles, lionfish and more.

We went to the beach at Bananarama on West Beach. The beach and the water were great, The bar and food at Bananarama was good and they had a place to change.

Best part was there was a guy with a boat that picked us up at the beach to Snorkel the reef which is not far from the beach. The guy had equipment, he tied to the buoy and lead us on a great Snorkel. It was funny while we were out there several Excursion boats came around to the same reef.

Also try the monkey La la drink.

I actual look forward to another trip.

Bananarama has a website.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You might try Fantasy Island through Island Marketing:

https://roatancruiseexcursions.com/ResortSnorkelKayak.html

We went there on our first cruise (about 5 years ago), and it still remains the best snorkeling we have done. (We kayaked out a ways and tied off to something... can't recall). We are going back there again in December (9 day on Pearl) and cannot wait.

Crewsweeper........I believe Mitsugirly mentioned earlier that West Bay Divers is closed for vacation, not permanently :)

YES! They are closed for maintenance and repairs for 2 weeks. Not for good. :)

Hi Mitsugirly,

Hang in there for the other shops, maybe they'll have something. Slow replies are pretty common in Roatan. Not sure if that's island time or just the unreliable and crappy internet.

Here's one more I thought of, Las Rocas Resort. It's at the very end of West Bay Beach. If you go past Beachers you get to that boardwalk that goes in front of that Mansion house, that are now upscale condos. Anyway keep going and you'll see Bite on the Beach restaurant and just past there is Los Rocas, and easy few minutes walk from Beachers. It's kind or a cute/rustic resort but their dive shop has a loyal following. Not to mention the restaurant there is pretty good. Once you walk past there you are on the way to West End. Anyhow, perhaps send them a note and see if they can set you up.

http://www.lasrocasresort.com/

Last time I went to West Bay, my agenda included walking down to Bite on the Beach to have lunch and check out the eels there. However, we never made it because we were on a "Zip & Dip" excursion with Bodden and our dip portion was supposed to be longer but the rest of the people aren't "beach freaks" like us and picked an earlier time to go back. I was upset, but what could I do?

I'll definitely check them out.

I stayed in Roatan lat 2 years for a 10 day stay and Cleve Bodden took us on an amazing island tour including snorkeling if you ask.

He is very reasonable and will take you through the island and give you the history of his country.

He is on F B Cleve's tours and adventures and you can message him.

We stayed above Beachers and ate at all the local places just mentioned.

By the way, off shore snorkeling means you walk in from shore.

West Bay has the best as the reef is right there!

All the way to the left towards the rocks jetting out is where the maze of reef is.

We also took boat rides with West Bay diving center for only $5pp and went snorkeling while the divers dove. We did this several times seeing turtles, lionfish and more.

In no way-shape-or form are we wanting (probably ever) to do a tour. :D That's been mentioned already. We are not tour people. We only want beach and water about 90% of the time, unless you are talking an extreme sport.

However, we are looking for scuba diving on West Bay (or the area) as of now.

Yep, been snorkeling at WB in the past, so I do know what it's like. So now that I have done snorkeling, I would rather scuba there. :D

Next update...

West Bay Divers-NO (closed for 2 weeks for repairs at the time we are going to be there)

Bananarama-recommended by WBD-update They are able to do something for all of us they said. Two different dives. One for us (up to 40' of course) and they would be able to take the kids on another (up to 12' which is great). !!! I emailed back about specifics such as walk in from beach diving or boat. If boat, we probably won't do. I ask about hanging out at the beach after the dive there at Bananarama as well. I'm sure we'll be hungry and need for and drinks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Roatan Divers-emailed-I received the longest email every from them, that seems to be somewhat generic to everyone. But they did say they could do a bubble maker class IN THE OCEAN to 6' for the little ones and since we are "certified" we would do a boat dive. clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744 Discover Scuba=not certified...so I emailed back and inquired about a shore dive.