Customs form no longer required

4 minutes ago, ChefDenis said:

Lol! Just assumed after having seen half the Caribbean and two ports in Mexico I might need- wait for it- a customs document! Silly me. Next time I'll stock up on Cohibas!!!

Okay, okay. You caught me. I'm a newbie!!!

Wasn't there a fairly recent l-o-n-g post about a son who bought an expensive watch while on a cruise, and then was pulled aside at Customs for not declaring it?  An earlier poster in this thread mentioned that no form required if under a certain $$ limit.  If over that limit, one might be wise to track down a form and fill it in.  It was stated that the onboard shops, and many port stores, report large purchases made by passengers.

Edited by shipgeeks
wording
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Wasn't there a fairly recent l-o-n-g post about a son who bought an expensive watch while on a cruise, and then was pulled aside at Customs for not declaring it?  An earlier poster in this thread mentioned that no form required if under a certain $$ limit.  If over that limit, one might be wise to track down a form and fill it in.  It was stated that the onboard shops, and many port stores, report large purchases made by passengers.

If you are over the limit you will have to fill out the form and declare. The lack of forms does not mean you don't have to declare and Cohibas are still illegal. They random luggage checks.

Edited by Charles4515

6 hours ago, ChefDenis said:

I just returned from a Royal Caribbean (Radiance of the Seas) Eastern Caribbean out of Galveston and did not need one(!).

Chef, I think that the jabs are trying to say, please do not respond to very old threads. You are offering a response to a thread created 6 years ago. The challenge is that when you bump an old thread, the information in the thread is often out of date and causes a lot of confusion. If you want to contribute, create a new thread.