Very disappointed in Avalon Lounge - Disco!!!!

JohnoClark

Alas, what defines "decent entertainment" varies widely, as evidenced by this thread;p Purely subjective...

Very true.... as someone who has attended way to many car show where they pipe in the 50's /60's music, it would be a definite turn off for me. I would happily sit and listen to a piano quietly played in the background, but would not stay if there was loud music or older music like that. Disco was a very short period, surely they can't be playing it every night?

OP hasn't come back with more detail, but I'd believe it was meant as disco = nightclub, not as in actual disco music. But I don't know. I wasn't there.

I do know that the lounge on Avalon Vista on my cruise (Dec 14) did often have loud(ish) music after dinner. There was a keyboard player who sang and also dj'd most nights. We almost never went to the Lounge - we might have had a drink in the aft lounge or just gone back to our cabin for our own nightcap & an early night. I'm not old (I was 41 when we did the cruise) but I'm not a night owl and I don't want to dance after dinner. I didn't when I was 20 either. So age is also not the (predominant) deciding factor on what sorts of entertainment are desired/appropriate :p We never choose vacations based on after-dinner entertainment, knowing that a walk & a nightcap are almost all we'll ever want....

(I was also the kid who traveled everywhere her parents felt like traveling - they made no concessions for me being a kid, like trying to find something where there were other kids. I never cared- I could talk with adults just fine, enjoy the vacation the same as my parents, and as long as I had books too - never bored ;-)

Edited by Hoyaheel

The entertainment on our most recent river cruise with Avalon was so bad it was embarrassing. It felt like they hired any free entertainment they could get their hands on. The entertainers were in their 60's or 70's and couldn't remember the choreography. When we're paying big bucks for these river cruises hiring decent entertainment is a no brainer.

It was mediocre to awful on all of our Avalon cruises, with NYE in 2012 being the biggest joke of all. We had a skit with audience participation as the main event, with the CM leading the show. Can we say "cheap"? It was the worst ever.

Although I would like a choice of fireplaces on the TV.

Sarcasm, right? Because we had 12-14 channels of fireplaces on our cruise ;-) (which was very nice with the Christmas carols from our computer during our nightcap ;-)

I've never read ANY river cruise brochure that would lead me to expect either a Broadway show or Vegas review....

Am I wrong in my belief that Avalon is not for people who are looking for glitzy, cutting-edge, Las Vegas style entertainment?

Ira

Although I would like a choice of fireplaces on the TV.

I don't need glitz just decent entertainment. What was so funny is the CD told us to make sure we didn't miss the entertainment that night lol. Ring around the rosy with elderly performers that couldn't remember which way to turn was silly . Most people left.

another issue on a line like Avalon which charges for drinks out of meal times, would be the revenue opportunity the lounge gives to the cruise line.

the space needs to be attractive for guests to enjoy and relax. loud noise/music as said would not suit all regardless of age.

marvellous that there are many choices of cruises to experience, just need to find those that suit.

on vista amsterdam budapest june/ july this year, we had entertainment everynight was different but found because of layout of lounge music could be overpowering in the centre section !! this was i think because of lower ceilings and musician etc not being able to tone down there music ???? some of the entertainment didnt suit us so we just chilled out down back of the ship!!!

On my first river cruise in 2001 we had local entertainment brought on board every night. Even then, only about 25% of passengers went into the lounge after dinner. On the same cruise this year we had local entertainment only once with the other nights filled in with 'liars club', horse racing, and bingo. The nights were warm, so I took my beer up on deck and watched the stars.

On my first river cruise in 2001 we had local entertainment brought on board every night. Even then, only about 25% of passengers went into the lounge after dinner. On the same cruise this year we had local entertainment only once with the other nights filled in with 'liars club', horse racing, and bingo. The nights were warm, so I took my beer up on deck and watched the stars.

Now that sounds truly awful. Is this Avalon?

A group of 6 Canadians, 4 Australians and 2 New Zealanders were the only people that did not go to bed after dinner each night on the Avalon Panorama a few years ago on a Budapest to Amsterdam cruise. Lucky for us the "piano player", Ivan, had an electric guitar and was a very good blues player and singer. That made the cruise a very memorable time for all. To each his own I suppose.

A group of 6 Canadians, 4 Australians and 2 New Zealanders were the only people that did not go to bed after dinner each night on the Avalon Panorama a few years ago on a Budapest to Amsterdam cruise. Lucky for us the "piano player", Ivan, had an electric guitar and was a very good blues player and singer. That made the cruise a very memorable time for all. To each his own I suppose.

A group of 6 Canadians, 4 Australians and 2 New Zealanders walked into a bar...what’s the punch line?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wouldn't mind a disco evening - although every night might be a bit much.

We don't tend to go to the lounge much after dinner - just our own preference. We haven't found that much difference in the scheduled entertainment, to be honest... it often depends on our fellow passengers --> we take the entertainment as we find it as it doesn't really affect our cruise.

The one that surprised me was when we did the Jazz themed cruise with Avalon a few years ago. AMAZING jazz every night - all different types. Very few people were in the lounge for the entertainment.

We had great fun on our Emerald cruise last year --> it was a piano player - with some Dj-ing thrown in. But lots of fun to be had with quiz nights etc. Lounge crowded every night.

Really, to each his/her own.

Fran