Cruise duration for long distance passenger

sierracook14

Holland America actually has some cruise segments to Alaska that are less than seven nights but they have to be booked as part of a cruise tour package.

The shortest cruise we've taken was three nights. That was booked back-to-back with a four-night cruise for a total of seven nights. It was not ideal to have a wasted turnaround day. But at least we got to replenish our wine for the second cruise.

We also took one four-night cruise on its own. We spent a couple of nights in Miami before that cruise, so it ended up being six nights away from home. And another time we took a five-night cruise without any nights before or after. Both were too short but nice.

My recommendation would be to fly to Fort Lauderdale or Miami a couple of nights before your cruise. If you can take more time, three or four days early would be even better. And then take at least a week-long cruise.

What is your definition of Long Distance? If your in New Mexico (?) distances to cruise ports aren't very far .

This is what I was thinking. Unless you plan on driving flying is just a hop, skip and a jump to a port city. Maybe a few more minutes one way or the other but certainly not that big of a deal if leaving from a US port. I believe, comparatively, the cost of flying also might work out cheaper then driving as well. Especially if it is a long drive then you would have to factor in hotels and food. I can fly from LA to Vancouver in less time then I can drive from my house to the airport on a busy traffic day. Well, almost.

I believe, comparatively, the cost of flying also might work out cheaper then driving as well. Especially if it is a long drive then you would have to factor in hotels and food.

We live in Atlanta. From here, it makes little sense to fly to embarkation ports as far away as Tampa, Port Canaveral, or New Orleans. By the time you factor in driving to the airport, dealing with security checkpoints, wait time at the gate, flight time, baggage claim and transporting to the port, you save little time by flying. That's why we no longer fly unless departing from ports that are farther than those mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums