Carry on bag

vhedrick

I also work in health care, RN, and can tell you without a doubt that what you do is actually bad for you! we all need some exposure to germs to keep our immune systems strong.

I usually have an overnight bag that I packed for the night before. I don’t want to have to open my "big" suitcase in the hotel room & rummage through it. I do put my dirty clothes from my travel day in a plastic bag, then put them in my big case. (Or if I drove to the port, I just leave them in the car.)

In my small bag, I have our (mine, my DH & kids, if they are traveling with us) passports & travel docs in an outside pocket. On the inside, cash, jewelry, electronics/chargers, make-up, hairbrush, toothbrushes & paste, a change of undergarments, medications (prescription & OTC). A card with identifying information & my itinerary in case I loose my bag.

I do also bring a can on Lysol. I spray door knobs, light switches, phone & remote. I will say, I have never gotten ill (other than seassick) on a ship. Knock on wood! I am pretty healthy in general though. I do start taking a couple drops a day of liquid vitamin D the week before my cruise & continue taking vitamin D until about a week after I return home. I take the liquid instead of capsules just because it is easier & takes up less space.

I did cruise earlier this year with a friend of mine who is a complete germ-a-phobe. She wiped and sprayed down EVERY square inch of our room -- even Lysoled the curtains. Then would wipe light switches, knobs, etc again daily. It was a 5 day cruise. I didn't get ill, she got a nasty head cold day 4 & had it for 2 weeks after we got home.

I do wash my hands several times a day, use the hand sanitizer at the dining venues, & I don't touch the hand rails on the stairs unless absolutely necessary. I try to use common sense.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have another friend who does absolutely nothing (except wash her hands) to stay germ free on a ship. She gets the flu on at least 50% of her cruises.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

I do also bring a can on Lysol. I spray door knobs, light switches, phone & remote. I will say, I have never gotten ill (other than seassick) on a ship. Knock on wood! I am pretty healthy in general though. I do start taking a couple drops a day of liquid vitamin D the week before my cruise & continue taking vitamin D until about a week after I return home. I take the liquid instead of capsules just because it is easier & takes up less space.

And doing what you do also keeps away elephants and tigers from entering your room.

Correlation does not imply causality. :)

And why Vitamin D? It is a fat soluble vitamin, so a very bad idea to take too much. It is retained in the body.

Also, Vitamin D is produced naturally in the body upon exposure to sunlight. That happens a BIT on cruises.

And Vitamin D deficiency causes bone issues, it does not boost the immune system.

And doing what you do also keeps away elephants and tigers from entering your room.

Correlation does not imply causality. :)

And why Vitamin D? It is a fat soluble vitamin, so a very bad idea to take too much. It is retained in the body.

Also, Vitamin D is produced naturally in the body upon exposure to sunlight. That happens a BIT on cruises.

And Vitamin D deficiency causes bone issues, it does not boost the immune system.

My sister and her husband are both MD's. She tells me to take it, I do. I have my blood work done regularly, I am usually on low side of normal or a little deficient so I am not worried about over doing it. Too much of anything is a bad thing.

As far as sun exposure, I live on the Gulf of Mexico in sunny Florida. I also wear sunscreen. I could take some vitamin D3 or I can increase my risk for getting skin cancer. I choose to take the supplement. As far as D3 not helping your immune system, I suggest you read some recent research on the subject.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My sister and her husband are both MD's. She tells me to take it, I do. I have my blood work done regularly, I am usually on low side of normal or a little deficient so I am not worried about over doing it. Too much of anything is a bad thing.

As far as sun exposure, I live on the Gulf of Mexico in sunny Florida. I also wear sunscreen. I could take some vitamin D3 or I can increase my risk for getting skin cancer. I choose to take the supplement. As far as D3 not helping your immune system, I suggest you read some recent research on the subject.

Being vitamin deficient is a different situation.

Yes, and MDs can't make up their minds as to whether you should drink or not drink to live longer. :)

Do what makes you happy. I take a multivitamin and eat a balanced diet.

There is absolutely no need to pack clothes for first night dinner. Since many do not have luggage, all casual wear is acceptable on the first night.( Maybe men should not wear muscle shirts on boarding day. ) Take medications and all valuables on board. We don't wipe down anything and never have. Only have gotten sick once mid-week on more than 50 cruises.

It would depend on how hot it was that day as to whether someone wants to change into something clean and fresh for dinner, rather than what is acceptable that night. Also, you could accidently spill a drink on your clothes.