Port of Call Change-Insurance Claim

MEME&JOE92

Give it time.... It will happen. Once they analyze their claim payouts and reasons why...adjustments will be made. No different then any other type of insurance policy. They may not go to seasonal adjustments...but rates will rise. Or certain exclusions will be added and/or the amount payed out reduced. etc. It's still a good deal especially if they maintain the "missed/cancelled port" coverage

If they remove the itinerary change benefit, then I will revisit and research for a different insurer

Give it time.... It will happen. Once they analyze their claim payouts and reasons why...adjustments will be made. No different then any other type of insurance policy. They may not go to seasonal adjustments...but rates will rise. Or certain exclusions will be added and/or the amount payed out reduced. etc. It's still a good deal especially if they maintain the "missed/cancelled port" coverage

It depends- but probably. These policies are not brand new. If hurricane season is bad again this year and next year- it will change quickly. If we have a calm couple of years- who knows.

Shipboard Service Disruptions (Itinerary Change Inconvenience Benefit)

A one-time benefit of up to $250 per person if the cruise line suffers a mechanical breakdown, fire, virus outbreak or other covered service disruption during your cruise causing the cruise to change.

It doesn't matter why the itinerary changed ... it pays because of a change ... I am confirming it ... just got 2 checks for $200 each when our ports were flipped

Yes, but wasn't your change due to a medical emergency? It seems the benefit you got has specific "covered service disruptions." So, while you can confirm that medical emergency is such a covered disruption, I'm looking for confirmation as to whether or not weather is one as well.

Yes' date=' but wasn't your change due to a medical emergency? It seems the benefit you got has specific "covered service disruptions." So, while you can confirm that medical emergency is such a covered disruption, I'm looking for confirmation as to whether or not weather is one as well.[/quote']

The medical emergency was someone (not in my party) had to go to the hospital ... our princess Cay day flipped with Nassau so they (not on my policy) could get off the ship and go to the hospital in Nassau.

My 1st claim was for a changed itinerary before and after departure ... itinerary changed a month before the cruise and then again during the cruise ...we missed grand Turk because of high winds ... our claim was for changed Itinerary both BEFORE ($750 each) and AFTER ($200 each) departure

The medical emergency was someone (not in my party) had to go to the hospital ... our princess Cay day flipped with Nassau so they (not on my policy) could get off the ship and go to the hospital in Nassau.

My 1st claim was for a changed itinerary before and after departure ... itinerary changed a month before the cruise and then again during the cruise ...we missed grand Turk because of high winds ... our claim was for changed Itinerary both BEFORE ($750 each) and AFTER ($200 each) departure

Thanks for clarifying!

Something I notice is policies seem to say - Pays UP TO $xyz, not Pays a FLAT $xyz, so something must factor into how much they pay out.

In any event, insurance companies are in the business of making money, so they must be taking in more than they pay out. They likely did have a bad year in 2017, so I would think premiums are going to go up, and perhaps coverage down, on new policies.

Something I notice is policies seem to say - Pays UP TO $xyz, not Pays a FLAT $xyz, so something must factor into how much they pay out.

In any event, insurance companies are in the business of making money, so they must be taking in more than they pay out. They likely did have a bad year in 2017, so I would think premiums are going to go up, and perhaps coverage down, on new policies.

The policy I purchased for my 2018 September cruise IS more expensive then the policy I purchased for 2017. My husband being a year older changed his premium. I also chose a policy that had higher coverage for interruption than I did last year.

It is still worth the cost in my mind.

I know how insurance companies work ... been working for one for 21 years.

Yes, they do say 'up to' on some benefits and others it's a flat fee ... e.g.

"The Company will pay benefits for Covered Expenses incurred, up to the Maximum Benefit shown ... " no insurance company is going to pay above what the expenses are ... if the medical expense is $950 but the coverage is up to $1000, insurance company is only going to pay $950.

The it ancillary benefits (e.g. itinerary changes, ship disruption, etc) are flat reimbursement amounts