Port of Call Change-Insurance Claim

MEME&JOE92

I say file now... so you can come home to $$$$ ... alas as a Florida resident I can't purchase :-( I was on a cruise with friends who are from Louisiana and they got $$$ when we skipped Half Moon Cay, me... I still have not gone! I am scheduled on the Glory in October which was supposed to go there.... guess I better plan another time!

Wish I had know about this, I already purchased insurance for my cruise in January, but thinking of getting this as St Thomas most likely will still be closed, hmmmmmm risky! I have some time cause I think you can get port change insurance up until final payment!

I say file now... so you can come home to $$$$ ... alas as a Florida resident I can't purchase :-( I was on a cruise with friends who are from Louisiana and they got $$$ when we skipped Half Moon Cay, me... I still have not gone! I am scheduled on the Glory in October which was supposed to go there.... guess I better plan another time!
They say HMC is open and receiving ships :)

Wish I had know about this, I already purchased insurance for my cruise in January, but thinking of getting this as St Thomas most likely will still be closed, hmmmmmm risky! I have some time cause I think you can get port change insurance up until final payment!

Once a risk has been discovered or realized, you cannot purchase insurance on a known issue.

If you're buying insurance for an itinerary that hasn't experienced a loss (hurricane) then yes you can buy for an unknown risk.

Basically you cannot buy coverage today for port loss on islands that were hit by the recent storms.

But you could buy coverage, say, for western Carib.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll have to upgrade my usual policy the next time I'm booked to visit Half Moon Cay.

I'm only 2-for-5 in actually getting there, so either I'd reap some money for the next cancellation, or buying the insurance would guarantee that we'd actually make it. :D :D

I called yesterday and started my paperwork. You can't submit it until you return from the cruise. One of the items that they request we send in as your final folio/sign and sail account page

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have the Nationwide Cruise Choice policy. It is a $750 payout per person for the missed port. I paid $99 for the 2 of us for this policy. Price depends on age etc. When we had to cancel Curacao when Hurricane Matthew came through, I had the lessor policy and received 250 per person

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I will say upfront that I'm not an actuary and my only understanding of this type of insurance term comes second hand from a cousin on a Mediterranean cruise 5 years ago but here's what happened there...

The cruise itself excluding airfare was just over $5,000 for this couple and was 12 days longs with I think 10 ports, and I believe at the time the policy paid UP TO $950. Well long story short 2 ports were cancelled, with 1 being replaced and the other just adding a seaday. They went to submit the claim after the trip once back home, but only the port that turned into a seaday wound up being covered, and about $360 for the cabin. So basically the insurance valued the "lost" port at around 1/15th of the total cruise booking value. After looking at he booking again it appeared the insurance calculated the payoff at the number of cruise days divided into the cabin cost they paid for the cruise.

But then again that's $360 that most other passengers did not get about 3 months later.

I will say upfront that I'm not an actuary and my only understanding of this type of insurance term comes second hand from a cousin on a Mediterranean cruise 5 years ago but here's what happened there...

The cruise itself excluding airfare was just over $5,000 for this couple and was 12 days longs with I think 10 ports, and I believe at the time the policy paid UP TO $950. Well long story short 2 ports were cancelled, with 1 being replaced and the other just adding a seaday. They went to submit the claim after the trip once back home, but only the port that turned into a seaday wound up being covered, and about $360 for the cabin. So basically the insurance valued the "lost" port at around 1/15th of the total cruise booking value. After looking at he booking again it appeared the insurance calculated the payoff at the number of cruise days divided into the cabin cost they paid for the cruise.

But then again that's $360 that most other passengers did not get about 3 months later.

When did they change the ports? Before or after they departed?

I'll have to upgrade my usual policy the next time I'm booked to visit Half Moon Cay.

I'm only 2-for-5 in actually getting there, so either I'd reap some money for the next cancellation, or buying the insurance would guarantee that we'd actually make it. :D :D

Take note that there is a difference between ports cancelled prior to departure and those cancelled after departure. At least under the Nationwide policy (as I read it) when a port is cancelled prior to departure, you may receive a one-time payment for inconvenience. When a port is cancelled after departure (as often happens with HMC and tender ports) the only payment is for non-refundable expenses (again, based only on my reading of the Nationwide policy)

Im pretty upset with myself :mad: The last two cruises I went on I went with Nationwide Choice cruise through insuremytrip.com. This time, I went with HTH recommended through insuremytrip which was more affordable, had the exact same coverages I was looking for...............except this one :o

Had I went with Nationwide Choice this time, I would have been reimbursed 750.00 for our itinerary change.