Periscoping LIVE from Harmony - October 7, 2017!

pharaoh

Gah sounds like you're having a great time! Wonderland sounds so neat. That's probably the specialty dining I'm looking forward to the most.

I'm klutzy.. I'd be dropping my phone in the water if I had it that close! :')

Last night we dined at Jaime’s Italian. It was a cute, casual restaurant. I liked how the staff all got to wear jeans as part of their uniform.

I almost never take food photos because I feel like it’s a bother to other people, and the lighting is usually pretty crappy, but since this was a more casual restaurant and it was earlier in the day, AND we were by a window, I decided it would be all right. [emoji23]

For starters we had the meat plank, the crab and avocado bruschetta, and a bowl of calimari.

ec1b6e03a050b7f6fb635b067ef9669a.jpg

Everything was tasty, but I probably wouldn’t do the meat plank again.

I really enjoyed the bruschetta! There are so many times when I get bruschetta and you could knock someone on the head with the bread it’s so hard. But the bread for this starter was toasted just right and was easy to bite into. The avocado and crab topping was delicious without being heavy like a crab dip might be. Super yummy.

For entrees, I got the risotto and asked them to top it with chicken breast, which they did. My mom had the carbonara with shrimp.

bd4542517e5f5787da0a062656fb5aa9.jpg

71f99ce9c61a9f36ccf76c194d87e5ce.jpg

The risotto was good, but a little salty and very heavy. The chicken was delicious and tender, that was probably the best part.

I tasted mom’s carbonara which was delicious [emoji39] If I came back I would probably get that.

Finally, the dessert that I ordered was WELL recommended by my friends on Periscope, and even as they brought it out to me, someone who was walking out of the restaurant said it was the best thing on the menu. Everyone is raving about it. YES, PEOPLE. I’m talking about .... the cheesecake.

afa6555550e7df00bb7caed7da5e92e8.jpg

I admit, it is just as delicious as it looks. I’m not normally a big cheesecake fan but it was very good. There is lemon curd drizzled on the plate which is a nice touch, I love anything with lemon curd. Sounds gross but it’s straight from heaven’s kitchen.

Overall, I enjoyed Jamie’s, but I still prefer Giovanni’s. It was also the heaviest meal we have had thus far (as good Italian-American food usually is) and it is now day 5 and I am reaching food overload. We don’t have any dinner reservations tonight and I might just try to skip it and give myself a day to detox. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BEAUTIFUL pictures...especially the ones of you and your mom. You're going to have memories for a lifetime. So glad I got to share a few cruises with my mom, now that she is unable.

My mom and I didn’t take vacations together for a LONG time, our first one as grown ups was in 2015 and it has become a yearly tradition. I hope we get to continue these annual cruises for as long as we can! [emoji178]

Detox update: didn’t take a photo because juices are always ugly, but I went down to the Vitality Spa and had them whip me up something called a Fruit Oasis. It had apples, lemons, watermelons and maybe some other stuff in it that I can’t remember.[emoji23] It was delicious and I was surprised that it was included in my beverage package! The regular price is $6.75.

Now I am sitting on deck and enjoying a rainy view of Costa Maya.

860f9ccdeb60abcd1545a4cfe9983877.jpg

But I am sitting right outside of Mini Bites so there’s no telling how long this “detox” will last. 🤷🏼*♀️

So after dinner last night, we accidentally wandered into the headliner show. I say accidentally, because we typically avoid the headliner because they’re too cheesy or boring or whatever reason.

We’re glad we went in, because the entertainer Earl Turner was actually great! Yes he was a little cheesy but mostly he was really funny. He sang lots of oldies and a few newer songs, and it was a lot of fun.

After that was the love and marriage game show, which I scoped for anyone who wants to sit through a 45 minute long video.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bK0r-DkyNzE5MTV8MWVhSmJtak12ZG9HWC_shVAEF7PiqTaufUhSm_ThQ3RB2hfO3X3xrR18wdDP

I have to say, we’re bingo people, and there has been a severe lack of bingo on this cruise. I think so far I have only seen two games. What the heck?!

Woof! Sorry about abandoning the thread! The VOOM was a hot mess there towards the end of the week and it was hard to load anything [emoji24][emoji24] I think it had to do with the weather.

Anyway we are leaving soon. I could easily do another week, I wish I could stay! But when I’m back home I’ll finish this review. :)

So after dinner last night, we accidentally wandered into the headliner show. I say accidentally, because we typically avoid the headliner because they’re too cheesy or boring or whatever reason.

We’re glad we went in, because the entertainer Earl Turner was actually great! Yes he was a little cheesy but mostly he was really funny. He sang lots of oldies and a few newer songs, and it was a lot of fun.

After that was the love and marriage game show, which I scoped for anyone who wants to sit through a 45 minute long video.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/bK0r-DkyNzE5MTV8MWVhSmJtak12ZG9HWC_shVAEF7PiqTaufUhSm_ThQ3RB2hfO3X3xrR18wdDP

I have to say, we’re bingo people, and there has been a severe lack of bingo on this cruise. I think so far I have only seen two games. What the heck?!

Earl was great! Lot of energy and seemed to get everyone really involved. I wasn't expecting much either and was pleasantly surprised.

Really enjoyed your Insta stories!

Sorry you’re leaving, but at least there’s BugsyCruiser to pick up the cruise void this upcoming week!

I’m so glad you enjoyed the stories!! I really liked doing them and they were the only thing that would load easily with the weird VOOM situation. I think I might edit them all together and make a little video haha. :)

Earl was great! Lot of energy and seemed to get everyone really involved. I wasn't expecting much either and was pleasantly surprised.

Exactly! I think right when he started, my mom turned to me and asked why we were there, but we had some time to kill and it turned out he was great .. He had that whole room dancing during Uptown Funk!

Exactly! I think right when he started, my mom turned to me and asked why we were there, but we had some time to kill and it turned out he was great .. He had that whole room dancing during Uptown Funk!

He was a "Person To Watch" in 2004. Of course he is great! :p

I would love to hear about your hibachi experience we booked it for the first time on our upcoming cruise. Thank you. Safe travels home. :)

Hello! As it turns out, we ended up cancelling the hibachi since we had already done it on Allure last year. We decided to do the regular a la carte sushi at Izumi and it was wonderful.

(The hibachi experience on Allure was so much fun, and it looked to be the same on Harmony, so I’m sure you will have a great time! Especially if you have a larger group, it’s more fun when it’s social. [emoji4])

We started with a bowl of delicious steamed edamame which comes with the meal. [emoji39]

Then Mom had the deluxe seafood citrus salad, with shrimp, octopus, and lobster, which was really delicious. I believe they used some kind of citrus dressing and it was very tasty.

e4c6aa047d02bab1e3e117081b12a977.jpg

I had the pork gyoza dumplings, which were pretty standard.

0c4145f41f858dcfe177d5ebd2a26f1f.jpg

We shared a couple of rolls and a poke bowl. I ordered the spider roll, and Mom ordered the futomaki which was more than enough for two people.

bbbd09a3c6670153c6bde7d050982cda.jpg

acaebd4054d209eaf55c9d246922d768.jpg

151243d7694d770b474adf66771cbefd.jpg

In case we weren’t QUITE rolling out the door after that giant meal, we ordered some mochi ice cream. Delicious! The flavors were strawberry, mango, and green tea.

09f9de98ade26ffd1d8170778536a1ba.jpg

My favorite part of Izumi, besides the amazing food, was getting to sit by a window overlooking the ocean. It can be hard to find sea views on Oasis class ships so I was delighted to have this beautiful vista during dinner.

fce7b7185abb6fbef8342f5194cdbd24.jpg

Did you eat in the Windjammer, if so was what was your impression?

Yes, almost every morning for breakfast.

I hate the entrance to the WJ on this ship. They block everything off and they force you to go through the hand wash station, which means it takes forever to get in at peak times. There was one morning around 10:45 that we waited in a queue for about 10 minutes, not realizing that because my mom is in a scooter, we could have skipped the line and sat at the reserved accessible area.

Also for all the dramatic hand washing they make us do at the entrance, I still saw a gross old man grab a sausage straight from the tray with his fingers, shove it in his mouth, lick his fingers, and keep going around the buffet. BARF.

Now besides all that (lol), I do enjoy the windjammer on this ship. First off, it’s prettier and more modern than on other ships. The stations are clearly labeled. And there’s a good breakfast selection. Lots of tables available. I love the area to get fresh OJ, which may have existed on other ships but I had never seen it before. And there are plenty of staff to get you a drink and clear your plates.

For breakfast we also tried mini bites which makes a delicious omelet and was a lot quicker than the WJ; Solarium Bistro which was very similar offerings to WJ; Johnny Rockets which was not very good IMO, and very slow service.

I wanted to check out WJ for lunch and dinner but we always had something else going on, so never made it, so I can’t comment on those times.