Hotel in Amsterdam

ORD1166

We end our River Cruise in Amsterdam and have reservations for 3 day post stay at the Banks Mansion. Should we need to get a taxi from the Cruise Port to Banks Mansion? Will this location be good for walking to Museums or the RLD?

Yes it is a bit too far to walk from the cruise terminal to your hotel. Take a cab or Uber. Walking to RLD will take about 20 minutes, more or less the same to the Museums. But I am sure the hotel can give that information too. Our friends love the Bank Mansion.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this helpful thread. We are planning two nights post river cruise in August with three children. I have booked Luxury Suites Amsterdam and would appreciate any feedback re: proximity to the AMA pier as well as family friendly activities and restaurants. Thanks!

Thanks for this helpful thread. We are planning two nights post river cruise in August with three children. I have booked Luxury Suites Amsterdam and would appreciate any feedback re: proximity to the AMA pier as well as family friendly activities and restaurants. Thanks!
'

The exact location of AMA (River?) ships will be known just 1`or 2 days before. Most ships dock west of Centraal Station, in high season sometimes also west of Centraal Station. When no large cruiseships are in town even the cruise terminal can be used. However your hotel is not far from those locations. Either use Uber, or check with the hotel for a regular cab.

Depending the age of the children these places can be interesting:

Scheepvaartmuseum: https://www.hetscheepvaartmuseum.com/

Nemo action: https://www.nemosciencemuseum.nl/en/

Fly over Holland: https://www.thisisholland.com/en/home/

Any canal boattour, offered in many places or the hopon/off boats.

Zaanse Schans, make a short bus or traintrip and see how clogs are made, cheese is made (and taste a lot of different cheeses for free), visit one or more of the working windmills. https://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/

to name just a few possibilities.

In case you want to visit Anne Frankhuis, book tickets exactly 2 months prior. http://www.annefrank.org/en/

I was looking for a vacation rental on tripadvisor for 6 but don't know anything about Amsterdam what is a safe area for lodging close to as much as possible. thanks in advance

Almost all parts of Amsterdam are safe, maybe apart from the section southeast- Bijlmermeer. If interested in visiting museums check the area near Museumplein. Hotels along the canals are populair too. Lots of hotels etc. to choose from.Amsterdam is rather compact, nothing is far away and public transport is excellent.

another question I have read on here about the movenpick Amsterdam city hotel. Would this be a convienent place to stay? is it very near cruise port?

Movenpick is more or less right above the cruise terminal, east of Centraal Station. It has a tramconnection to Centraal Station or is walkable to CS in about 10.15 minutes.

If planning some activites maybe the area around Dam Square, Rembrandtsplein and or Museumplein is a little more convenient.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed a the Ibis-Central Amsterdam which was walking distance to almost everything, including the cruise terminal. Central Station was next door and the Canal was across the street. We walked to Anne Frank house and took the HOHO bus to the museums and the canal boat back to our hotel.

Lots of restaurants and shops on Damrak street which was an easy 1 block walk away. Couldn't believe how "smart" Ha, Ha, we were for choosing this place. Very clean but small room with twin beds. Expensive breakfast buffet @ 17 euros/pp. There are no washcloths or facial tissue provided so bring your own. It made me uncomfortable to have to remove my makeup using a towel. I use a curling iron and forgot to bring an adapter but did have a wig I could use for a day before we boarded our ship.

Sue

We stayed a the Ibis-Central Amsterdam which was walking distance to almost everything, including the cruise terminal. Central Station was next door and the Canal was across the street. We walked to Anne Frank house and took the HOHO bus to the museums and the canal boat back to our hotel.

Lots of restaurants and shops on Damrak street which was an easy 1 block walk away. Couldn't believe how "smart" Ha, Ha, we were for choosing this place. Very clean but small room with twin beds. Expensive breakfast buffet @ 17 euros/pp. There are no washcloths or facial tissue provided so bring your own. It made me uncomfortable to have to remove my makeup using a towel. I use a curling iron and forgot to bring an adapter but did have a wig I could use for a day before we boarded our ship.

Sue

Was the HOHO worth it? Did you have both the boat and the bus ticket?

Was the HOHO worth it? Did you have both the boat and the bus ticket?

Yes we did the combo bus/canal option and felt it was very worth it. The ticket is good for 24 hours so you can see a lot in that time.

Sue

• 3 weeks later...
We end our River Cruise in Amsterdam and have reservations for 3 day post stay at the Banks Mansion. Should we need to get a taxi from the Cruise Port to Banks Mansion? Will this location be good for walking to Museums or the RLD?

UPDATE: We loved the Banks Mansion for our post cruise 3 day stay in Amsterdam. Both the Bus tour and the Canal tour provided by our River Cruise Line, passed by the Banks Mansion, as it is so close to many historical sites. Last day we remained on our cruise ship til noon then they called a taxi for us. TAXI $24 EU to Banks Mansion for two with 3 large luggage pieces about 20 minute drive.

Our room was a bit small but had large balcony window overlooking the Canal, very clean, modern bath fixtures. We were two blocks from the Flower Market. We were 20 minutes walk from the RLD & DAM Square. Banks Mansion room comes with snacks and drinks that are served 5:00pm each day & help yourself to the mini-fridge in your room or the Cocktail bar in the Lobby (no charge). Included Breakfast buffet had Chef cooking eggs, omelets, French toast, and pancakes. We met a gentleman at breakfast buffet from College Station Texas who has stayed each of his annual trips to Amsterdam with Banks Mansion, since 2000. Wow 18 years - that speaks volumes to me! I will stay at Banks Mansion again if we return to Amsterdam!- BZTravler - Lake Conroe TX

I know Ine answered your question but since we just returned from Amsterdam and stayed at Banks mansion...

LOVED Banks Mansion. the staff were very helpful, friendly and professional. They also made sure you knew everything that was included so that you made full use of their facilities.

We took a cab from the cruise port (6 of us and our luggage). Cost was 23 euros before tip.

We walked everywhere from Banks Mansion easily (we have no mobility issues) - the RDL, Anne Franks and the museum district. Amsterdam is easy to get around and Banks Mansion was quite central for our purposes.

The flower Market is a just a hop skip and a jump away.

Amsterdam is fabulous. DH liked it better than Paris.

Oops, sorry I didn't see that you had already stayed. I should have continues reading before ansering. Well, hopefully all the info will be of help to others.