Does Royal allow embarkation at a Port of call?

Me and my wife were trying to formulate a Plan B just in case. Our embarkation is next week and we are flying out on Wednesday. We are connecting thru Amsterdam, i've been monitoring our flights and it all seems to be doing fine except for the past 2 weeks, where both the 1st and 2nd segment of our flights either gets cancelled or delayed. We have trip insurance but getting onboard is still more important and besides we have no where to go if we miss this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Me and my wife were trying to formulate a Plan B just in case. Our embarkation is next week and we are flying out on Wednesday. We are connecting thru Amsterdam, i've been monitoring our flights and it all seems to be doing fine except for the past 2 weeks, where both the 1st and 2nd segment of our flights either gets cancelled or delayed. We have trip insurance but getting onboard is still more important and besides we have no where to go if we miss this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are your flights arriving the same day as embarkation of the cruise? That’s never a good idea, if you booked the flights yourself and not through the cruise line, in which case they guarantee that you will make the ship.

What port is the cruise embarking from?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

doesn't this cruise embark on a saturday?

if you're flying on wednesday, why would you miss the boat?

amsterdam is a hub - if for some reason your amsterdam flight is cancelled, there are probably several other possible flights.

and it's october - not the height of the summer. seats should be available.

If worse comes to worse, you could buy a ticket on a different airline.

I got my answer. Thank you CC.

for Alaska Planner- I just got carried away from the cancellations i saw last thursday, the paxs who shared their grievances from that day in social media, pax that have to wait for a day to get an email response, just to be informed that they were flying out the next other day.

We almost gone rogue today to the point of cancelling our flights on Wed and fly an open jaw tomorrow instead.

... Venice is our cruise port

..Its soothing to know that i can fly to Kotor or Athens to catch up if anything, so im good to go.

I called RCL this week to ask this same question. We're scheduled to sail out of San Juan this month and our international flight from Grenada to San Juan is currently "suspended," but not canceled. I wanted to know if we could embark at the first port of call if we couldn't get into San Juan. I was told that their emergency response team would be the ones to make that determination and we could be denied boarding. I was also told that there may be a $300/pp fine that would be added to our on-board account. As a result we ended up purchasing new airline tickets that will take us from Grenada to JFK and then JFK to San Juan (we're taking the long way around!). It was cheaper than the fine.

I was also told that there may be a $300/pp fine that would be added to our on-board account.

That would not apply since San Juan is exempted from PVSA rules (can't go from one US port to another) which is what kicks in the fine.

I got my answer. Thank you CC.

for Alaska Planner- I just got carried away from the cancellations i saw last thursday, the paxs who shared their grievances from that day in social media, pax that have to wait for a day to get an email response, just to be informed that they were flying out the next other day.

We almost gone rogue today to the point of cancelling our flights on Wed and fly an open jaw tomorrow instead.

... Venice is our cruise port

..Its soothing to know that i can fly to Kotor or Athens to catch up if anything, so im good to go.

that's why we tend to arrive at least 3 to 4 days in advance of our cruises...

we have to fly the other direction across the atlantic to get to our cruises in florida...

i'm always so nervous about airline strikes/airport strikes/weather/exploding volcanoes that i schedule our flights way in advance because i can't deal with that tension/uncertainty....

but leaving on wednesday for a saturday cruise out of venice should really be ok...

USVI is also not aftected by PVSA.

Right, I was just pointing out to the poster that there are other US ports possible - it seems that in the next couple of months one can't count on any itinerary to stay as initially published.

Right, I was just pointing out to the poster that there are other US ports possible - it seems that in the next couple of months one can't count on any itinerary to stay as initially published.

Agree, it's all up in the air. I wonder if the ports that still can take ships are raising their fees.

that's why we tend to arrive at least 3 to 4 days in advance of our cruises...

we have to fly the other direction across the atlantic to get to our cruises in florida...

i'm always so nervous about airline strikes/airport strikes/weather/exploding volcanoes that i schedule our flights way in advance because i can't deal with that tension/uncertainty....

but leaving on wednesday for a saturday cruise out of venice should really be ok...

If there's somethin to take from this, is that next time, i will transit from the very same country that i am cruising from or if the price is palatable, i will just fly direct.

Just like the US ports we gotta be there 90 mins before the ship moves no?

If there's somethin to take from this, is that next time, i will transit from the very same country that i am cruising from or if the price is palatable, i will just fly direct.

Just like the US ports we gotta be there 90 mins before the ship moves no?

Most likely different rules out of the US. Whoever you contact to arrange the downline embarkation will let you know the boarding time.

I also have a question on this topic. Our cruise leaves from Tampa and the first port of call is Key West on the next day. Will there be any issue with joining the ship in Key West? We now have a schedule issue and cannot leave until Monday and join the ship that day in Key West. Thoughts??

I also have a question on this topic. Our cruise leaves from Tampa and the first port of call is Key West on the next day. Will there be any issue with joining the ship in Key West? We now have a schedule issue and cannot leave until Monday and join the ship that day in Key West. Thoughts??

You cannot join the ship in Key West and get off in Tampa. Violation of PVSA law.

You cannot join the ship in Key West and get off in Tampa. Violation of PVSA law.

Bob, sorry I did not make our situation clear....ship leaves from Tampa, first stop Key West (we would fly here and join), and then there are three other stops (Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Belize) before returning to Tampa to disembark. Would there be any issue joining the ship in Key west and continuing from there for the remainder of the trip?

Bob, sorry I did not make our situation clear....ship leaves from Tampa, first stop Key West (we would fly here and join), and then there are three other stops (Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Belize) before returning to Tampa to disembark. Would there be any issue joining the ship in Key west and continuing from there for the remainder of the trip?

If you join the ship in Key West and get off in Cozumel, Costa Maya, or Belize, you would be fine. If you want to get off in Tampa, you are in violation of the PVSA law.

If you join the ship in Key West and get off in Cozumel, Costa Maya, or Belize, you would be fine. If you want to get off in Tampa, you are in violation of the PVSA law.

Thanks Bob! I looked up the PVSA law you mentioned and found this:

does not prohibit foreign-flagged ships departing from a U.S. port, visiting a distant foreign port, and then continuing to a second U.S. port. However, in order to embark in a U.S. port and disembark in a second U.S. port, the vessel must visit a distant foreign port outside of North America (Central America, Bermuda. the Bahamas, and all of the Caribbean except Aruba, Bonaire, and Curaçao, count as part of North America);

Glad I asked! We are traveling as a group of 9 (family) and my daughter has a competition that she can not miss, we thought we (the two of us) would just fly to Key West and join the ship there...not going to happen! Looks like we will need to join in Cozumel on day 4......

Thank you again for your help!

does not prohibit foreign-flagged ships departing from a U.S. port, visiting a distant foreign port, and then continuing to a second U.S. port. However, in order to embark in a U.S. port and disembark in a second U.S. port, the vessel must visit a distant foreign port outside of North America (Central America, Bermuda. the Bahamas, and all of the Caribbean except Aruba, Bonaire, and Curaçao, count as part of North America);

Glad I asked! We are traveling as a group of 9 (family) and my daughter has a competition that she can not miss, we thought we (the two of us) would just fly to Key West and join the ship there...not going to happen! Looks like we will need to join in Cozumel on day 4......

I would verify with the cruise line they will allow this

Glad to help. If you are seriously considering getting on the ship in Cozumel, then be sure to contact the cruise line well in advance to make arrangements. Also, you may all need passport booklets to do this trip, since it's no longer a closed loop cruise.

Glad I asked! We are traveling as a group of 9 (family) and my daughter has a competition that she can not miss, we thought we (the two of us) would just fly to Key West and join the ship there...not going to happen! Looks like we will need to join in Cozumel on day 4.....

You'll have to do some math to see if the flight to Cozumel is more than $300 (the PVSA fine) more than to Key West.

You'll have to do some math to see if the flight to Cozumel is more than $300 (the PVSA fine) more than to Key West.

I called RCCL and they gave me an email address to send my request to board in Key West (or later)....if they answer back with the fee of $300 each to board in Key West, we will accept this offer. I already purchased the airfare for the two of us to Key West...so the math is pretty easy. Thank you for your help!