Majesty Oct.2, 2017: Good, Great, Just OK?

sjb317

It's been almost a week since we disembarked and I've debated back and forth on whether to write a review. This won't be a complete review but just a few "opinions" of our cruise. This was our 44th cruise on Royal, our 4th on Majesty. We booked this cruise two weeks out, originally we were booked on Empress to Cuba but Irma had other plans.:rolleyes: I wanted to book another cruise while we were in Florida and Majesty was the only one that fit during our time frame.

Embarkation was the fastest of all of our cruises! We left our home in Satellite Beach at 1007, arrived at Park Port Canaveral on A1A at 1026 and were sitting in the WJ sending my traditional "we"re on the ship" messages to friends and family at 1115! Wow! I wish I could say the same for disembarking.:(

Our cabin was a Superior Oceanview, 9510, and it was great! It seemed bigger than some of the balconies we have had over the years. Lots of room and lots of storage. The bed was super comfy. The only negative was the location of the safe on a small platform in the dark corner of the closet. It was only a few inches off the floor which made it a little hard to use for someone with bad knees but I managed. I would book this room again.

Food ranged from excellent to good to just ok to a few items were inedible. I've always thought Majesty had some of the best food in Royal's fleet but this cruise seemed a little different. The pizza in Sorrentos was the best I've ever had on any Royal ship, it was really good, especially if you lucked into some just out of the oven. My husband said the beef filet and prime rib were great, I had lasagna one night that was excellent, the best ever! Key Lime Pie and Sticky Bread pudding were also wonderful. My favorite dish, Horseradish Salmon, was a disappointment. Inedible items were the scrambled eggs and bacon in the WJ. My husband and I laughed at the bacon each day as it looked almost raw:o and the eggs were swimming in water. The scrambled eggs in the MDR were only slightly better.

I do have to mention the Indian food in the WJ as this was one of the highlights of my cruise food wise. It was always excellent and something I enjoyed at both breakfast and lunch!

We've always had great service on Majesty but this cruise seemed a little different. Our cabin attendant, Paulu, was excellent but everyone else just seemed a little tired. Maybe the cruise before ours wore them out:D. Service in the Diamond Lounge each night was spotty, there appeared to be 3 waiters assigned but two would disappear for awhile, comeback, then a different combination of 2 would disappear. We tip with each drink and usually find after the first night the waiters are very attentive but not this cruise. I told my husband I felt like I was on Celebrity as the service in their equivalent lounge always seems slow.

Our service in the MDR was good most nights, but a little slow. We had a table of four and our tablemates commented several times that service was not what they expected. And I met several people who were cruising Royal for the first time after many cruises on other lines and without exception, all said they doubted they would be back which I thought was sad as Royal has always been our favorite line.

Disembarkation was one big cluster****. To be fair, we were late arriving in port due to storms during the night (not Royal's fault) so the first group of passengers did not start leaving the ship until after 8am but everything seemed to back up after that. Our disembarkation last January from Majesty was pretty quick and painless but this seemed to take forever. Our number (#1) was called at 0900 and when we walked out to the parking lot it was 1045. Long time standing in line!

We love small ships and I'm sure we'll sail Majesty again so nothing was a deal breaker for us but usually I say a cruise was great, this time it was just good.:D

Sherri:)

I was on the same cruise - I agree with the service up in the VCL for the Diamond coctail hour. I ended up just going to the Schooner Bar and using my coupons after the second night. But they do put on a nice assortment of munchies up there

I was on the same cruise - I agree with the service up in the VCL for the Diamond coctail hour. I ended up just going to the Schooner Bar and using my coupons after the second night. But they do put on a nice assortment of munchies up there

I wonder if that service level is related to the HD. Our service in VC back in August was excellent.

Ours was in May as well. I actually left the second night after having some appetizers and still no sign of a server.

I'm thinking that when they filled that big glass of yours, they figured they did not need to come back that evening.

I wonder if that service level is related to the HD. Our service in VC back in August was excellent.

Our service was excellent back in January, also. In fact, this is the first cruise where we felt service was lacking:(

Yes, that was the best assortment I’ve seen on any cruise. It was funny, though, the first night we went up about 645, here was this really nice selection of finger foods but only one plate was left. I used it to get some food for my husband and I. No one bothered to bring any more plates. Another guest asked one of the waiters about getting some more plates and he said he would take care of it. 30 minutes later, still no plates. We left about 10 min later so I never knew if they got plates or not.:o

Yes, that was the best assortment I’ve seen on any cruise. It was funny, though, the first night we went up about 645, here was this really nice selection of finger foods but only one plate was left. I used it to get some food for my husband and I. No one bothered to bring any more plates. Another guest asked one of the waiters about getting some more plates and he said he would take care of it. 30 minutes later, still no plates. We left about 10 min later so I never knew if they got plates or not.:o

I was there at 5pm but I promise I left some food for everyone[emoji1]

Sent from my BG2-W09 using Forums mobile app

Ahh so that's what they mean by "finger food"....LOL!! ;p

Did they still have the sushi spread?

:D:D

Yes, they had three different rolls plus cheese, shrimp, small desserts, breads, canapes, and 3 different hot dishes. A better assortment than I've seen on some of the bigger ships!:D

do have to mention the Indian food in the WJ as this was one of the highlights of my cruise food wise. It was always excellent and something I enjoyed at both breakfast and lunch!

I loved the indian food for breakfast. That was the first time I've had anything like that

:D:D

Yes, they had three different rolls plus cheese, shrimp, small desserts, breads, canapes, and 3 different hot dishes. A better assortment than I've seen on some of the bigger ships!:D

That was what impressed us too. MJ goes all out to make up for a lack of a true DL or CL with that nice spread! :) And I thought the WJ was one of the better ones also. :)

do have to mention the Indian food in the WJ as this was one of the highlights of my cruise food wise. It was always excellent and something I enjoyed at both breakfast and lunch!

I loved the indian food for breakfast. That was the first time I've had anything like that

My husband thinks I’m crazy:D but I loved it for breakfast, too!

That was what impressed us too. MJ goes all out to make up for a lack of a true DL or CL with that nice spread! :) And I thought the WJ was one of the better ones also. :)

I would agree with you on our other Majesty cruises but not this time. Except for the Indian dishes :D the WJ was a little disappointing.

I would agree with you on our other Majesty cruises but not this time. Except for the Indian dishes :D the WJ was a little disappointing.

Sorry to hear that. Disappointing for sure. :( Maybe a bad week, or maybe since JD is not on board? Will be interesting when we board on the 23rd I guess.