British Isles Cruise Photo Heavy Review

13zbcxf.jpg

105b2w5.jpg

15n7xn4.jpg

After our walk around we headed back to our room for snacks, a nap and a chance to shuffle the clothes in the suitcases. We will still have one more night in London before flying back home.

IMG_7234_zpslcznfzkb.jpg

Lardy Cake, It was yummy and something I can’t buy at home.

From BBC:Lardy cake is a traditional English tea bread enriched with lard, sugar, spices and dried fruit. It originates from Wiltshire and is commonly found throughout the West Country. Historically, lardy cakes were celebration cakes and only made during special occasions as sugar, spices and dried fruits were considered luxuries.

Up the next morning and off to breakfast before or Smith’s driver arrived at 10:00. We had a two and a half hour drive to London. The cost of this transfer was 245BGP. Our driver was early and ready for us as I completed our check out.

It was sad to leave the castle, but both of us were really feeling travel weary. We were to meet our friends from London for dinner. They were wanting to hear how we had enjoyed our cruise.

I had made a reservation at the St. James’ Court, A Taj Hotel in London. We did arrive a bit early, our room was ready but the reception woman said she needed to call the hotel manager. I asked if there was a problem. She said the manager would explain. The manager comes, introduces herself and says she wants to congratulate us. We have been chosen as the “Guest of the Day”. YAY!! Kevin now laughs and says it is a way to get the customer you put in the back of the hotel above the construction site to feel special and not complain. LOL. I say whatever. It was nice, and the little perks were nice. We didn’t spend much time in the room anyway and by the time we went to bed all was quiet. We were served tea for free while the manager got things ready and she took us to our room.

2jesca1.jpg

28a4476.jpg

e6ww2g.jpg

154io00.jpg

Our balcony view, and yes there was construction right outside. Oh well.

30bjsja.jpg

Our upgraded amenities (?)

2lne9n6.jpg

25k3lvl.jpg

314dnic.jpg

28vr1w0.jpg

2j2fbtc.jpg

We set out right after getting all of our things in the room. I was on a mission. I wanted to return to Westminster Abby with enough time to actually take the full tour. Last time we were at the Abby we had about forty five minutes and made a mad dash around. I did behave myself and took no photos inside the Abby.

2j620lx.jpg

65vmn5.jpg

1jn5tj.jpg

The Supreme Court building

I will also admit to getting a little lost after leaving the Abby and getting back to the hotel. I know that the route I ended up taking us on actually took us right up the back side of Buckingham Palace. I just got lucky. Really, I just got lucky. Check off another one of those must see and stand on the grounds of even though Kevin really didn’t want to things. (Oops)

k20nme.jpg

25s2y60.jpg

1zbcoyh.jpg

I know, I did happen to book a hotel right down the street from the Palace. I did tell him I really wanted to go there. He really is such a sport.

P1030149_zpsjbjm4k4v.jpg

mkdxsp.jpg

Just a right turn and a twoish block walk and we were back to our hotel. We rested is the smoking section while Kevin had a smoke and I checked email to find out what restaurant we were going to and what time we were meeting.

2rqktpe.jpg

u1vzo.jpg

qs5ls3.jpg

We found these waiting for us when we returned to our room to change for dinner. Nice touch for the Guest of the Day.

Dinner was at Loch Fyne in Covent Garden. Getting there gave us another chance to use our Oyster Card. Really love that thing, something the US could use. We had kept them from our last trip, lent them to our son and daughter in law and are using them again this trip. You don’t loose the money on it and can top it up as needed.

141i3j5.jpg

Around the restaurant, we were enjoying the food and company so much that we didn’t take any photos inside.

16h1b8y.jpg

After dinner it was back to the tube for the ridge back to our hotel.

Our flight home wasn’t until 4:05 pm so we were able to sleep in, walk around the corner for a leisurely breakfast and check out and be ready for our noon pick up by Smith’s. We were both ready to go home, we had been gone almost three weeks to the day and I missed my puppy Murphy and my own bed.

IMG_7257_zpsmt7wpuqp.jpg

IMG_7258_zpsofbpjgbz.jpg

2l9i1eb.jpg

4uys8y.jpg

Well, I guess that’s it. I was going to explain the ugly warts. There were many. But the itinerary and the rest of the trip was so wonderful that I’ll just say that they were the things that make you say hmmm. I have booked our next cruise with Celebrity and will likely continue to do so for a long while to come. Happy cruising everyone. I hope you have found this entertaining, helpful or at least not disappointing. Thank you to all who have read the entire thing and sorry it took so long to complete.

Thank you so much. I know you spend a lot of time. And you definitely made me anxious for our cruise in just over 4 months. (less than 130 days sounds shorter for some reason.) You've also made me rethink going to Bath. It had always been on "the list" but I had heard it was commercialized and crowded and I was afraid to spoil the picture I had in my mind. But looking at your pictures really makes me want to go again. I see some schedule juggling in my future.

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful vacation.

Sandi (who is hoping I don't notice the Princess warts since I haven't been on Celebrity)

Thank you so much. I know you spend a lot of time. And you definitely made me anxious for our cruise in just over 4 months. (less than 130 days sounds shorter for some reason.) You've also made me rethink going to Bath. It had always been on "the list" but I had heard it was commercialized and crowded and I was afraid to spoil the picture I had in my mind. But looking at your pictures really makes me want to go again. I see some schedule juggling in my future.

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful vacation.

Sandi (who is hoping I don't notice the Princess warts since I haven't been on Celebrity)

I do hope your cruise is wart free. Bath was so much better than what I had expected. We could have done with at least one more full day there. It would also make a great home base for other stops in the area. Our hotel was right across the street from the train station, so very easy to come and go. Have a great cruise!

Loving your photos and commentary! They bring back great memories of our experiences a couple years ago. The churches are so special. On our first trip to Germany we stood in an rather unassuming but lovely small church. Our guide said “Martin Luther preached here in the early 1500’s”. I still get goosebumps remembering that moment.

And... oh, come on! We’d love us some more Ugly Wart stories! The one about a Tatiana was just a good tease. Your photos are beautiful, and you have a nice writing style.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Judie

Thank you for sharing your fabulous vacation! I want to try a Lardy cake! - never even heard of it :)

We are doing the Dublin overnight itinerary this summer on Royal Princess. Hopefully being on a newer ship will diminish some of the "warts". Many of our scheduled excursions are the same as yours, so the excitment builds!! Thank you again :D

Wish I had posted more but I just had to take my time and dwell on your pictures. They tell such stories. You have such an eye, I thoroughly enjoyed your adventures. You seemed to be quite adept at planning and having your tours, HOHO busses, etc. all sorted out. Where do you rely on your information? Do you read CC reviews, read travel books or travel web sites? I would not know where to begin if we ever get to my Celebrity dream cruise and would love some tips. I am obsessive about planning and having all of my ducks in a row. You did amazing. I really was immersed in your church photos. You could never post enough for me.

Each person likes "their" cruise line for their tastes. I have done one Princess cruise and that was enough for me. You should share a bit of your warts. It helps people to make decisions when it is their turn for a cruise as long as this one. I did not realize you were gone 3 weeks. That is quite an amazing adventure. Many kudos to your planning.

Again, your pictures are so descriptive and I appreciate all of the time you took to post. Thank you.

Loving your photos and commentary! They bring back great memories of our experiences a couple years ago. The churches are so special. On our first trip to Germany we stood in an rather unassuming but lovely small church. Our guide said “Martin Luther preached here in the early 1500’s”. I still get goosebumps remembering that moment.

And... oh, come on! We’d love us some more Ugly Wart stories! The one about a Tatiana was just a good tease. Your photos are beautiful, and you have a nice writing style.

Judie, So happy to bring back happy memories. It is really so cool to stand in the footsteps of those who have in some way touched us.

I'll see what I can do about the wart report.

I hope you post more!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'll take a look and see if I missed anything. Is there any port you would like to see more of?

Judie' date=' So happy to bring back happy memories. It is really so cool to stand in the footsteps of those who have in some way touched us.

I'll take a look and see if I missed anything. Is there any port you would like to see more of?[/quote']

(Chanting....)....”More warts! more warts!” :-))

I would also love more pictures and any commentary you’d forgotten to post. Thanks!

Judie' date=' So happy to bring back happy memories. It is really so cool to stand in the footsteps of those who have in some way touched us.

I'll take a look and see if I missed anything. Is there any port you would like to see more of?[/quote']

Not Judie, but I’ll ask anyway![emoji23] In your opinion, was there anything on the City and Causeway tour that was a surprising must see? We are booked with the same company for our day in Belfast in July. Thanks!

Wish I had posted more but I just had to take my time and dwell on your pictures. They tell such stories. You have such an eye, I thoroughly enjoyed your adventures. You seemed to be quite adept at planning and having your tours, HOHO busses, etc. all sorted out. Where do you rely on your information? Do you read CC reviews, read travel books or travel web sites? I would not know where to begin if we ever get to my Celebrity dream cruise and would love some tips. I am obsessive about planning and having all of my ducks in a row. You did amazing. I really was immersed in your church photos. You could never post enough for me.

Each person likes "their" cruise line for their tastes. I have done one Princess cruise and that was enough for me. You should share a bit of your warts. It helps people to make decisions when it is their turn for a cruise as long as this one. I did not realize you were gone 3 weeks. That is quite an amazing adventure. Many kudos to your planning.

Again, your pictures are so descriptive and I appreciate all of the time you took to post. Thank you.

Walt fan, Thank you. My husband always says I’m not happy unless I have a cruise to play with. Once I have decided where we will cruise next and get the cruise booked (usually a year ahead of time), I start reading every CC review I can find. The review may be for the same cruise or a totally different cruise line. I read about private tours vs cruise sponsored excursions. I will look up ports on TripAdvisor. What are the top things they recommend to see or do. I am a Rick Steves and Samantha Brown fan (even if she is a little dated) and watch all of the travel shows I can find on the area to see what appeals to me. Samantha Brown is where I first saw Thornbury Castle. Globe Trekker is also a great travel show to help zero in on things that interest you in your port city. They are usually a bit more budget travel minded. I also like Rudy Maxa, he has a nice way of presenting an area and places to see.

I also read books that are set in the areas I want to visit. I really enjoyed A Yank Back to England, by Denis Lipman. It’s about a young English man that brings his American wife back to England to meet his parents and experience England. He also taught her (and me) how to properly put cream and jam on a scone :) The Cotswolds Memoir by Diz White was a fantastic read to get to know the area (she has a church thing too).

As far as planning to be gone for a longer trip, I pay the bills that would normally be due while we are gone early if possible. Our son and daughter in law play second home for Murphy while we are gone and eldest son and son in law stop in and take care of Sidney (the cat). I also order what ever money I think were will need in the ports. I hate the idea of trying to find an ATM when we are making our way out for a tour. We have also encountered computer failures at airports and train stations that made ATMs in those places useless. So if you wait to get money when you land or arrive you may find yourself without. Our bank gives a fair exchange rate and charges only one fee no matter how many different countries currency we are ordering.

This cruise was the first time I planned to do laundry during the trip. I usually feel that this is my vacation and I’m here to enjoy myself. But with the length of this trip and luggage restrictions with British Airways I tried to cut down on the number of bags. This could be a WART spoiler. Princess offers washers and dryers on each passenger deck. There were three of each I think in the laundry room. I brought three little Tide Pods (you know the ones the US teenagers like to eat) and Downy fabric softener sheets. This worked out well for the most part. Be aware though that soaps, fabric softener sheets and tokens will not be refilled during your cruise. You get whatever is there at the start of your cruise and not a thing more. So happy I brought my own supply and didn’t need all of my tokens I bought the first time I did laundry. I saw some real drama over this situation.

Not Judie, but I’ll ask anyway![emoji23] In your opinion, was there anything on the City and Causeway tour that was a surprising must see? We are booked with the same company for our day in Belfast in July. Thanks!

Cindy, Glenariff forest park was so beautiful.It was our first stop and Michael had said we went there first to beat the crowds. I would think they would do the same for your group. They will tell you there is a path you can walk where you can see all the way down the glen and across to Scotland. Take the path, he will wait for you to explore. I wish I would have walked further and taken just a bit more time. It is so beautiful. The Wee cottage is a wonderful stop and in my opinion a must do. The chicken salad sandwich is great and the atmosphere so warm and welcoming.

sn022p.jpg

255t4iu.jpg