The Ruby in Mexico: A Super Late & Sorta Short Review

sjmbruce

Where were we? We had just boarded the excursion boat. There was a bar onboard with alcohol and soda to purchase and employees were walking around to refresh your drink. They were also offering to take pictures of you and your companions that you could purchase at the end of the tour. They also were pretty aggressive about asking for tips before disembarking.

The views were the worthy part of this excursion. It was so beautiful! We went at a slower pace, providing ample time to take photos and enjoy the scenery. We even went around the arch to the ocean side. I didn't see any of the smaller boats doing this, but the waves were pretty big. Some excursions had been cancelled due to the rough water, but we didn't feel it.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

We then headed back to the dock where we disembarked and walked a little ways to board a bus. After about 15 minutes of driving and listening to our guide give us some information about Cabo, we arrived at a restaurant. It was a gorgeous restaurant, but the kitchen was closed. We could choose one bottle of water, can of soda, or beer. We had about twenty minutes or so to sit at a table and drink our beverage. The views were nice, but nothing spectacular. During the bus ride we saw parts of Cabo we may have otherwise never seen, but this portion of the excursion was kind of weird and not worth it.

enhance

enhance

Everyone was dropped off on a street near the ship. This was fine with us as we wanted to wander around anyway, but some were upset that they were merely given walking directions back to the Ruby. We followed the water past the aquarium and to the restaurants and shops. (When you get off the boat turn right, then right at the aquarium). There were a lot of people offering boat taxis and excursions and I contemplated doing a small boat ride past the arch for a difference perspective or perhaps making it to Medano beach after all, but we decided to get a late lunch near the port and continue to wander.

We ended up at Captain Tony's restaurant, right on the pier. We were given seats right at the front of the restaurant. It had an open air concept and it is right on the marina, providing excellent breezes and a nice view. They have a big menu - the prices are not in USD so your meal will be cheaper than it initially looks. We opted for fish tacos and shrimp tacos, both of which came with guacamole and several sauces plus toppings. It was a really excellent meal and if we ever went back to Cabo we'd return to Captain Tony's.

The view:

enhance

enhance

The food:

enhance

enhance

• 2 weeks later...

After our late lunch, we decided to wander around the marina and nearby shops. When the sun started to set, we headed back towards the ship. We passed the ship and walked a little bit the other way, down to a boat ramp for local fishers. There were a couple of seals and pelicans begging for fish. They were super adorable and easy to take a picture of. We decided to get back onto the ship and have a later dinner in the main dining room, with plans to get up early and go back on shore.

enhance

enhance

Thanks for the info! So what im getting from this, is book an excursion to get off the ship at a decent time! My husband and I are divers so we were going to book our own trip but now I'm not going to. Princess offers a 2-tank dive trip, so I think we will go with that just to get off the ship quickly. Glad I read your review!

Thanks for the info! So what im getting from this, is book an excursion to get off the ship at a decent time! My husband and I are divers so we were going to book our own trip but now I'm not going to. Princess offers a 2-tank dive trip, so I think we will go with that just to get off the ship quickly. Glad I read your review!

Maybe other sailings will be different, but our Princess tour waited beyond the tour time for a tender off the ship. There were groups still waiting after we were finally called. Diving in Cabo sounds amazing!

Great photographs...not to be picky.... but I will be, your photo is of a sea lion not seal, easy way to tell them apart...sea lions have ear flaps.

Also, seldom see seas out of the water in California or Mexico for that matter.

Enjoy...

Sea lions, got it! Thanks :)

We loved our balcony at night. We watched the sunset over the rock formations. Once it got dark and everything quieted down, we could hear the sea lions barking(?) in the distance. It was so nice to sit out there in the dark listening to the wildlife and the waves. We got up early, had a quick breakfast and got off the ship again. We didn't bring any cameras or valuables, as we were going to try and find the beach close to port. It was pretty easy to find and we only ran into locals on their way to work. With all of the boats coming in and out nearby, the water didn't seem 100% clean so we didn't get in, but enjoyed laying on the sand in the sun. Afterwards, we walked out of the port area into the bigger part of the touristy city and wandered around until we got hungry, returning to the ship for lunch.

enhance

enhance

enhance

• 2 weeks later...
I got back from my last cruise, a five day trip to Cabo out of Los Angeles, way back in April. I had thought about doing a review back then but realized I hadn't taken many pictures of the ship. I also had another trip planned for the end of May so I was busy planning for that. My indecision led to no decision and no review. However, I have had more than a few people ask me if I had done a review of the trip, so I put together a shorter informational piece with some pictures, menus, and food temptations. (Also, when I'm researching a trip or cruise, I love reading everything I can, no matter how old or short). Last night I found the Patters from the cruise and I have a new scanner so I'll also try to get those on here as well.

I booked my first princess cruise today. It's the 6 day cruise to Cabo out of LA in October of this year. I am so glad I found your thread. LOVE the info. & photos. I've liked/following Gentle Barn facebook. I have pictures of me hand feeding: baby bear cubs at Bear World in Idaho, giraffe & baby rhino at SD Animal Park, kissing a bull elk (my friend ranch/raises them in Idaho), kissing a dolphin, etc. You get it.

Can you tell me what restaurants are pay extra money for and what are included with cruise fare? Thanks.

I booked my first princess cruise today. It's the 6 day cruise to Cabo out of LA in October of this year. I am so glad I found your thread. LOVE the info. & photos. I've liked/following Gentle Barn facebook. I have pictures of me hand feeding: baby bear cubs at Bear World in Idaho, giraffe & baby rhino at SD Animal Park, kissing a bull elk (my friend ranch/raises them in Idaho), kissing a dolphin, etc. You get it.

Can you tell me what restaurants are pay extra money for and what are included with cruise fare? Thanks.

I'm so excited for your first Princess cruise! I've only sailed with them a few times and can only compare the line to one NCL cruise, but I find Princess so relaxing. I hope you get to visit the Gentle Barn and get some more pictures kissing and feeding adorable animals. I'm trying to plan a long weekend trip to LA so I can go hug cows again.

For included food, the Ruby has the main dining rooms for nice sit down meals. It is always open for dinner and hopefully someone else can chime in on when it's open for breakfast and lunch. There's also the buffet (Horizon Court). There is a grill, a pizzeria and ice cream near one of the pools. Everything at those places are included except for milkshakes. My favorite is the International Café. The coffee, alcohol and gelato are for a fee but the food is all included (pastries, desserts, salads, sandwiches).

For a fee, you can eat at Share, The Crown Grill, or the Salty Dog. There's also a couple of for fee meals that are more experience based, such as the Chef's Table, balcony dining, or The Crab Shack (seafood feast on a specific night).

If you have any other questions please ask. And have a great time!

I'm so excited for your first Princess cruise! I've only sailed with them a few times and can only compare the line to one NCL cruise, but I find Princess so relaxing. I hope you get to visit the Gentle Barn and get some more pictures kissing and feeding adorable animals. I'm trying to plan a long weekend trip to LA so I can go hug cows again.

For included food, the Ruby has the main dining rooms for nice sit down meals. It is always open for dinner and hopefully someone else can chime in on when it's open for breakfast and lunch. There's also the buffet (Horizon Court). There is a grill, a pizzeria and ice cream near one of the pools. Everything at those places are included except for milkshakes. My favorite is the International Café. The coffee, alcohol and gelato are for a fee but the food is all included (pastries, desserts, salads, sandwiches).

For a fee, you can eat at Share, The Crown Grill, or the Salty Dog. There's also a couple of for fee meals that are more experience based, such as the Chef's Table, balcony dining, or The Crab Shack (seafood feast on a specific night).

If you have any other questions please ask. And have a great time!

Plan your weekend for October and we can go together! If it could work out, that would be terrific. Thank you for the info. And just fyi, I'm not a young, girlie type doing all of the petting zoos and kissy face with animals! In Idaho, I was in line to bottle feed and pet/kiss the baby grizzlies (3 months old) and I was surrounded by kids, oh about 3 yrs. old to 12 yrs. old. LOL And I was in my mid-40s. :'):')

• 1 month later...
Plan your weekend for October and we can go together! If it could work out, that would be terrific. Thank you for the info. And just fyi, I'm not a young, girlie type doing all of the petting zoos and kissy face with animals! In Idaho, I was in line to bottle feed and pet/kiss the baby grizzlies (3 months old) and I was surrounded by kids, oh about 3 yrs. old to 12 yrs. old. LOL And I was in my mid-40s. :'):')

Oh man I wish I could plan a trip to the LA area for October. I also found really cheap tickets from DTW to PDX in June and am really fighting the urge to go. Travel addict problems :)