Florida and Caribbean Weather in August - Caribbean Princess 2018

MMJK

Hi all,

Recently Princess had a sale on a 14 day Eastern/Western August 2018 sailing on the Caribbean Princess which we just had to book. We have sailed the Caribbean many times before but only ever in December/January and the weather is always warm/very warm and we love it.

We will be leaving our winter, being an Aussie August is the middle of winter for us. However, our winters are very mild and coats are really needed only two weeks out of the entire year.

How hot will Florida and the rest of the Caribbean actually be in August? I'm aware of possible hurricanes but we're more concerned with possibly melting considering some statements I've read made about the weather in Florida and the Caribbean at that time of year.

Cheers,

M

Ft Lauderdale will be 90+F temps (32-34C), 95+% humidity, almost daily afternoon thunderstorms (which actually make it feel hotter, not cooler).

The Eastern Caribbean is a bit more temperate, you should survive with lots of sunscreen, a dip in the water at a beach will be cooling (not like showering with soup as the rain in Florida can be).

But Central America and the Yucatan on the Western half of the cruise will be brutal. Little breeze, virtually no cloud cover, even the strongest sunglasses won't cut out the glare.

I have done both Eastern and Western in mid-June. Never again will I go Western other than between Christmas and Easter (I know that is summer to you, but winter here in America).

Obviously the above is an over-generalization, but a fair warning. Even us native Floridians can feel the difference between hot and HOT.

(And I assume you have noted that the 14 day itinerary is actually two 7 day cruises back-to-back with an intermediate turnaround day in Ft Lauderdale in the middle).

Thanks, Fishywood.

I had thought the western side would have been much warmer, assumed eastern would be cooler due to sea breeze etc.

Yes totally aware that the 14 day is a b2b...all of our other Eastern/Western cruises have been the same....turnaround day is a quick trip to Cheesecake Factory as we don’t have them downunder yet!

Cheers

M

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ft Lauderdale will be 90+F temps (32-34C), 95+% humidity, almost daily afternoon thunderstorms (which actually make it feel hotter, not cooler).

The Eastern Caribbean is a bit more temperate, you should survive with lots of sunscreen, a dip in the water at a beach will be cooling (not like showering with soup as the rain in Florida can be).

But Central America and the Yucatan on the Western half of the cruise will be brutal. Little breeze, virtually no cloud cover, even the strongest sunglasses won't cut out the glare.

I have done both Eastern and Western in mid-June. Never again will I go Western other than between Christmas and Easter (I know that is summer to you, but winter here in America).

Obviously the above is an over-generalization, but a fair warning. Even us native Floridians can feel the difference between hot and HOT.

(And I assume you have noted that the 14 day itinerary is actually two 7 day cruises back-to-back with an intermediate turnaround day in Ft Lauderdale in the middle).

This is completely accurate!!

I can tell you, I'm used to hot and humid living in South Florida but going to Cancun and sitting at the beach that time of year is just HOT!!! Last time I did a cruise during the summer months I actually couldn't sit in the Sanctuary one day it was just that brutal. And wear your shoes up on deck otherwise your feet burn!!

You will still enjoy!!