Packing for 12 night Anthem 1/7/18

Greenmomma

Looking forward to the 1/7 southern carib cruise. However, it just occured to me that packing for a 13 day cruise vs a 5 or 7 is different. I'm used to one large suitcase and my carryon and doing walk off. Any tips, tricks or advice on packing for a "longer" cruise?

I'm also on this cruise :D Only 56 days!

This is my first 12 night but I have done a 10 night and was able to fit everything into a standard size large suitcase and a small backpack (and I'm a huge overpacked!). I find rolling clothes tends to save some space, but everything has their own methods. You can find lots of tips & tricks to maximize space on YouTube.

Remember you can send stuff to the laundry. We send underwear and things that can be washed in hot water and dried to the laundry. So while I might take a little more, I expect to wear things more than once, changing a top with the same pants, etc. Dh and I usually have 2 26" pieces and rollons. We usually don't do walk off as we are seldom in a rush to leave, so don't worry about much we take.

I roll as a matter of course. My ex was a submariner. Lol. Do I need three bathing suits? How do I maximize "nice" clothes for mdr. I don't really do "formal" but we do clean up for dinner. Dress pants and blouses, easy dresses. Does anyone care if I wear the same dress a couple times in mdr? We got stuck with my time. I'm traveling with my 22 year old daughter. She is a much better packer than I am.

We are also on the Anthem with you. Driving from Delaware we can pack lots, but limit ourselves to 2 large bags, one standard carry on, and one roomy shoulder bag, 4 pieces total between us. Yes, I hand wash some things and choose one color theme for mixing. Going from cold weather to hot and back again, the cold weather clothes will have time to "air" before we wear them again. Love having a balcony for that reason. Did a 26 day B2B and managed. Bring half the clothes and twice the money. See you at the M&M!

We are also on the Anthem with you. Driving from Delaware we can pack lots, but limit ourselves to 2 large bags, one standard carry on, and one roomy shoulder bag, 4 pieces total between us. Yes, I hand wash some things and choose one color theme for mixing. Going from cold weather to hot and back again, the cold weather clothes will have time to "air" before we wear them again. Love having a balcony for that reason. Did a 26 day B2B and managed. Bring half the clothes and twice the money. See you at the M&M!

Good point. I didn't consider the cold vs warm weather aspect. I usually leave the coat in the car and wear layers on board. I'm thinking sneakers to wear embarking and for sports and tours, sandals for beach and solarium and maybe two dress shoes should do it. Four dress pants 8 blouses, two dresses and then my shorts, tshirts, nighties, undies and bathing suits and I'm good. I don't take meds and I'm not fussy about soap or shampoo.

I would simply pack the same as for a 7 day cruise. Perhaps on a 12 day, I might end up using some of the other half of my clothes that I end up not using on a 7 :rolleyes:.

dp

Alrighty then. So your advice is to pack the same as 7 day and reuse? That's the kind of advice I'm looking for. Still don't know if I need two bathing suits or three. 🙂

We'll be doing our first 12 night next October, longest so far has been 10 nights. I too am thinking about how to bring everything we'll need, as we are taking a train to Boston the night (or two) before, and then flying home from Fort Lauderdale afterwards. So we'll need clothes for 13-14 days. We've always used a traditional-sized one carry-on each (yes, I am a very efficient packer and they have an expansion layer so we can fit more in) but even at 7 nights they are stuffed. I may have to buy larger suitcases for this trip. I'm good...but not that good, even with re-wearing clothes.

We'll be doing our first 12 night next October, longest so far has been 10 nights. I too am thinking about how to bring everything we'll need, as we are taking a train to Boston the night (or two) before, and then flying home from Fort Lauderdale afterwards. So we'll need clothes for 13-14 days. We've always used a traditional-sized one carry-on each (yes, I am a very efficient packer and they have an expansion layer so we can fit more in) but even at 7 nights they are stuffed. I may have to buy larger suitcases for this trip. I'm good...but not that good, even with re-wearing clothes.

I know. It's a much different thing. I'm thinking black pants and woolite will be the answer. i don't want to dry on the balcony as to avoid the Beverly Hillbillies look and offend others. Definitely a first world problem.

Alrighty then. So your advice is to pack the same as 7 day and reuse? That's the kind of advice I'm looking for. Still don't know if I need two bathing suits or three. 🙂

It depends what sort of a vacationer you are. I take two, but if you "live" in swimsuits, take a 3rd - they don't take up as much space.

I wear things more than once, usually in different combinations.

No, I'm not on the January 7 cruise, but I am on the 28th. :)

I know. It's a much different thing. I'm thinking black pants and woolite will be the answer. i don't want to dry on the balcony as to avoid the Beverly Hillbillies look and offend others. Definitely a first world problem.

In the evening, I wash things in the sink. Then I squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Then I lay a towel on the bed and lay the damp clothing on it. I roll up the towel. Then I put the towel on the floor and walk on it. Then I unroll and and hang up the clothing. Always dry by morning.

In the evening, I wash things in the sink. Then I squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Then I lay a towel on the bed and lay the damp clothing on it. I roll up the towel. Then I put the towel on the floor and walk on it. Then I unroll and and hang up the clothing. Always dry by morning.

Wow. Thank you. I will show my daughter your post. She is much bettef than I. Wish you were with us MerionMom.

Looking forward to the 1/7 southern carib cruise. However, it just occured to me that packing for a 13 day cruise vs a 5 or 7 is different. I'm used to one large suitcase and my carryon and doing walk off. Any tips, tricks or advice on packing for a "longer" cruise?

You don't need 13 days' of clothes; pack for one week. Mix and match and wear things twice, especially the stuff you wear to dinner. Some things (black dressy pants for instance) you can probably wear 3 or 4 times. Plan outfits in a limited color scheme to limit the number of shoes you need. Take a few things you can rinse in the sink and hang drive. Suck it up and just pay to have a bag of laundry done. I wouldn't send delicates, but underwear, socks, t-shirts, pj's and/or anything that can go in a hot dryer etc. are probably ok to send to the ship's laundry

My first cruise was an eleven night for our honeymoon. I packed three suits and wore all of them. The thing with bathing suits is they are small anyway and hardly take any space. One of the best pieces of travel advice I’ve ever gotten was to take your bathing suit wherever you go. You might need it and it doesn’t take up any room to speak of.

This is what I would do... and, allow for a load of laundry. This is where Carnival is nice with the self-serve washer/dryers.

I'll pass on a secret: you can wear the same clothes more than once.

Don’t marry an ex Miss Pennsylvania. 7 night cruise equals minimum of 10 dresses just in case it’s cooler or warmer in the venue we’re eating. At least 7-8 pairs of shoes (heels) wearing same pair twice is sacrilegious. Lol. Minimum of 4 bathing suites with matching sarongs and we won’t go on about afternoon short n shirt combo’s. Shore excursion ensembles and workout close make up a hair supplies and so on!!! Yes it costs me a lot just to get her suitcases on the plane. We always do a grand suite mainly so she has a place to put all her dam luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess I am a fairly light packer, we are on the same cruise and were on the same one last January, I agree with Carol wear outfits more than once, I had 3 skirts and different Tshirts I could match with them, a couple pair of shorts, couple pair of capris, bathing suit and 3 pair of shoes. worked great, and did not feel that I dd not have enough, honestly I do not look at other people outfit, and I don't mind wearing the same a few times.