Breakaway - cruising New Year's alone, would you do it?

Monnom

I think the solo happy hour would be a great way to connect with other solo travellers. This is a good idea on NCL's part. Did you like the solo suites on the Epic?

The solo suite was great for me, just enough room. Its a bit small but let's face it, most of us don't spend that much time in our cabins unless we have a balcony. Like I said, I had a great time and met great people, and the demographics were all over the map, young people and retired folks alike. Mine was a little different in that I was on a b2b so for the most part it was different people in each of the two weeks.

Hope this is of help and I hope you have a fantastic time!

They have solo meet ups in the solo lounge even if you are not staying in the solo rooms you can meet up with the solos and they have different activities and meals planned together

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The solo suite was great for me, just enough room. Its a bit small but let's face it, most of us don't spend that much time in our cabins unless we have a balcony. Like I said, I had a great time and met great people, and the demographics were all over the map, young people and retired folks alike. Mine was a little different in that I was on a b2b so for the most part it was different people in each of the two weeks.

Hope this is of help and I hope you have a fantastic time!

The inside cabins were ridiculously expensive, so I went with the solo cabin. It'll be my first time cruising without a balcony, my first time in the solo cabins, my first holiday cruise, and my first time going away alone. So many firsts! ;)

The cabins do look very tiny, but who cares... if I'm in the room, it'll be to get showered, changed, rest up, or sleep. I don't need a lot of room, but it will be weird not being able to look outside from my cabin.

It was helpful, thank you... and thanks for the well wishes, much appreciated. :)

They have solo meet ups in the solo lounge even if you are not staying in the solo rooms you can meet up with the solos and they have different activities and meals planned together

Thank you... I am in the solo cabins. One of the reasons (besides cost) was the idea of being in there with other solo travellers. I am so looking forward to getting away and not worrying about anything. I'm putting the beverage plan to good use this time around. ;p

Do check the dailies they have solo meet ups during the duration of the cruise! Or if you want to take me with you I’m available [emoji4][emoji12]

LOL You made me laugh. I wish I could bring everybody that wanted to go! I think cruising is awesome and now that I'm single, it makes travelling alone a little less scary. ;)

I have been on the Breakaway 3 times and always with family or friends. With the exception of the one I went on with mom, I travel with friends who are frequent cruisers and we tend to go our own path. I have never felt uncomfortable eating alone on a ship or hanging out in a common space. The Breakaway has a lot of smaller more intimate venues in my opinion. I am not a chatty person but most every time I have hung out alone in the Maltings I have met very friendly people and I would frequently run into the very same people during the cruise. So you may be "alone" but you don't have to be if you don't want to :)

LOL You made me laugh. I wish I could bring everybody that wanted to go! I think cruising is awesome and now that I'm single, it makes travelling alone a little less scary. ;)

Lol I wish you could bring everyone too especially if it included me! [emoji854]! My sister had a solo room in the solo area on our last cruise and they had a meet up many nights during the cruise! If you can do it than you should!

I have been on the Breakaway 3 times and always with family or friends. With the exception of the one I went on with mom, I travel with friends who are frequent cruisers and we tend to go our own path. I have never felt uncomfortable eating alone on a ship or hanging out in a common space. The Breakaway has a lot of smaller more intimate venues in my opinion. I am not a chatty person but most every time I have hung out alone in the Maltings I have met very friendly people and I would frequently run into the very same people during the cruise. So you may be "alone" but you don't have to be if you don't want to :)

I'm hoping to meet some fun people who just want to relax and enjoy the UBP ;) Thanks for the information, it makes me feel better to know I won't be out of place.

Do it, you will have a great time! Enjoy!

Everything is booked! I've done it... flight, hotel, cruise! The only thing I need to sort is how to get to the cruise terminal from my hotel and how to get to the airport from the cruise terminal. Thank you :cool:

Lol I wish you could bring everyone too especially if it included me! [emoji854]! My sister had a solo room in the solo area on our last cruise and they had a meet up many nights during the cruise! If you can do it than you should!

Hahahaha... a NYE cruise sounds like fun, right? And even if I am alone... I can always toast the stars in the sky and have all my wishes granted!

I've booked it all and I'm looking at it as the adventure of my life. I've never done anything like this and I've realized that I can be anyone I want on the cruise and do anything I want... nobody knows me, nobody cares what I do. It's very liberating for me. ;)

So happy to hear you took the plunge! I really hope you have a fantastic time...as others have said, travelling solo is amazing and I am addicted. I went with a friend in September and found it quite the challenge to accommodate someone else...back to solo for me! And I’m delighted you’re going to be damaging the UBP, I’ll be thinking of you when I’m doing the same on the Epic new year cruise!

I laughed when you said ‘nobody cares’....it’s so true, no one cares what you do, the only person who’s bothered is yourself and when you realise that it really is liberating.

Would be great if you could come back and tell us how about your adventure...maybe do a trip report?

Enjoy!!!

Everything is booked! I've done it... flight, hotel, cruise! The only thing I need to sort is how to get to the cruise terminal from my hotel and how to get to the airport from the cruise terminal. Thank you :cool:

Congratulations!!!

Please let us know if you had as much fun as we predicted 😎

Cruising out of New York is something i really wanna do one Day... sigh

And dont be surprised if you meet people on your Cruise and arrange a Reunion one 10 month in advance (now only 7 month and 1 day 😊)

Happy Sailing 🍸

PS: great advice i got a few years ago: before going to bed, put on tv to bridge Channel. Waking up in the morning is like looking out your window 😊 Dont forget to set to mute 😉

The Studio on Epic was my first inside and i loved it with the morning bridge view.

Another vote in the "just do it" category, I think you'll love it!

I've done NY solo, it was fantastic. Watching the ball drop on the big screen up on deck was amazing. Glass of champagne, everyone happy, the stars above....beautiful. :hearteyes:

As others have said, if you want company, you can find it. NCL is the best when it comes to getting solos together.

So happy to hear you took the plunge! I really hope you have a fantastic time...as others have said, travelling solo is amazing and I am addicted. I went with a friend in September and found it quite the challenge to accommodate someone else...back to solo for me! And I’m delighted you’re going to be damaging the UBP, I’ll be thinking of you when I’m doing the same on the Epic new year cruise!

I laughed when you said ‘nobody cares’....it’s so true, no one cares what you do, the only person who’s bothered is yourself and when you realise that it really is liberating.

Would be great if you could come back and tell us how about your adventure...maybe do a trip report?

Enjoy!!!

Oh that's too bad you're not cruising with us for NYE! You sound like a fun person ;) I'll be damaging it this cruise for sure. I'm not a big drinker, so I deserve every single one I have. I'll be toasting you at midnight now. I hope you have a fantastic time and great weather.

Yeah, I'm not caring this time out. No ex-husband, no kids, no family... just me to do whatever the heck I want. For sure I can come back and let you know how it went, if you're interested. And you can let me know how you got on with your cruise. Your comments about liking solo cruising is encouraging. Thank you :)

Congratulations!!!

Please let us know if you had as much fun as we predicted 😎

Cruising out of New York is something i really wanna do one Day... sigh

And dont be surprised if you meet people on your Cruise and arrange a Reunion one 10 month in advance (now only 7 month and 1 day )

Happy Sailing 🍸

PS: great advice i got a few years ago: before going to bed, put on tv to bridge Channel. Waking up in the morning is like looking out your window 😊 Dont forget to set to mute 😉

The Studio on Epic was my first inside and i loved it with the morning bridge view.

Thank you! Honestly, you guys are more excited than friends and family when I told them, that's awesome. I will definitely come back and let you know how it went. And cruising out of New York is something special, I'm sure! Don't tell anyone, but I hope we are delayed and have to sail out a bit later when the skies are dark and the whole city is lit up! ;) I think it's going to be spectacular, and honestly, I never even thought about the scenery much until people started mentioning it. It'll be cold, so not sure how fun that'll be on deck.

I'm sure you'll get to sail out of NY one day soon. I would have gone further south for my sailing if I could have, but flights to Florida were a no go for me. I haven't been to NY since I was a kid, so I'm looking forward to some touristy stuff. Was gonna have a drink at the Waldorf Astoria but it's closed!!! OMG! Oh well... As for a reunion, that sounds great. Where are you going for the reunion?

Thanks for the tip with the TV, I may just have to try that. ;)

Another vote in the "just do it" category, I think you'll love it!

I've done NY solo, it was fantastic. Watching the ball drop on the big screen up on deck was amazing. Glass of champagne, everyone happy, the stars above....beautiful. :hearteyes:

As others have said, if you want company, you can find it. NCL is the best when it comes to getting solos together.

Thank you! I'm doing it now, whether I'm ready to or not! LOL My biggest challenge now is to find the perfect NYE dress for the party. I'm pretty sure I'll be partying all night, and maybe a few other nights too.

It's incredible how many people actually vacation alone, and I think cruising makes that easier. I've seen so many people eating or drinking by themselves on the cruises, so I am not worried I'll be out of place. And I've had a rough year, so it'll be nice to just leave it all behind and let my hair down. :cool:

I didn't know they had sharing tables?

There are lots of people who enjoy meeting others at mealtime. If the host/hostess doesn't ask if you want to be seated at a sharing table, tell them. My husband and I always ask for a sharing table and have met some lovely people. We always enjoy hearing about their travels.

Thank you! Honestly, you guys are more excited than friends and family when I told them, that's awesome. I will definitely come back and let you know how it went. And cruising out of New York is something special, I'm sure! Don't tell anyone, but I hope we are delayed and have to sail out a bit later when the skies are dark and the whole city is lit up! ;) I think it's going to be spectacular, and honestly, I never even thought about the scenery much until people started mentioning it. It'll be cold, so not sure how fun that'll be on deck.

I'm sure you'll get to sail out of NY one day soon. I would have gone further south for my sailing if I could have, but flights to Florida were a no go for me. I haven't been to NY since I was a kid, so I'm looking forward to some touristy stuff. Was gonna have a drink at the Waldorf Astoria but it's closed!!! OMG! Oh well... As for a reunion, that sounds great. Where are you going for the reunion?

Thanks for the tip with the TV, I may just have to try that. ;)

Waldorf Astoria closed - Dont they know about your big plans? 😉

We are doing the same Cruise as we did this Year, Epic in June tru the Med 😊. Right now a British, a Scottish, one Belgium, one from Florida and a German (that would be me😉). One from Australia is still in planning Status.

In case you are interested in a Review of a fellow solo Cruiser on the Epic, look for Bra_BE2014, you can also find it in my history of posts.

You will find the right Dress for sure, its the one which makes YOU feel beautiful about yourself.

Please remember: even if life has been harsh and nasty, it brought you to this exact moment where an amazing Cruise is coming up in just a couple of weeks 🍸

Oh that's too bad you're not cruising with us for NYE! You sound like a fun person ;) I'll be damaging it this cruise for sure. I'm not a big drinker, so I deserve every single one I have. I'll be toasting you at midnight now. I hope you have a fantastic time and great weather.

Yeah, I'm not caring this time out. No ex-husband, no kids, no family... just me to do whatever the heck I want. For sure I can come back and let you know how it went, if you're interested. And you can let me know how you got on with your cruise. Your comments about liking solo cruising is encouraging. Thank you :)

And one more thing...a previous poster mentioned about reunions. Well, I have met up with my ‘cruise fam’ a number of times both on cruises and on land, amazing people who I’d never have met without travelling solo. We are having an almighty ‘autumn meltdown ‘ which kicks off tomorrow in Scotland, full on fancy dress madness with an Alice in Wonderland theme. There’s even a long distance romance in the mix, that couple are currently doing the Epic TA just now, it’s all too magical! Cheers to loving yourself and living every minute that you can!!

Waldorf Astoria closed - Dont they know about your big plans? [emoji6]

We are doing the same Cruise as we did this Year, Epic in June tru the Med [emoji4]. Right now a British, a Scottish, one Belgium, one from Florida and a German (that would be me[emoji6]). One from Australia is still in planning Status.

In case you are interested in a Review of a fellow solo Cruiser on the Epic, look for Bra_BE2014, you can also find it in my history of posts.

You will find the right Dress for sure, its the one which makes YOU feel beautiful about yourself.

Please remember: even if life has been harsh and nasty, it brought you to this exact moment where an amazing Cruise is coming up in just a couple of weeks [emoji483][emoji569]

This! Where is the ‘like’ button when you need it!

This! Where is the ‘like’ button when you need it!

Thanks and back at you!

Have a great time on your Cruise 🍹🍸

How about we suggest our favourite Drinks to Monnom, so she can toast to us from afar...

Please have a Mango Meltdown for me 😊